PDA

View Full Version : Streaming to my PC at work



Ron Mellum
2004-02-17, 19:47
I guess this is kind of like talking to yourself, but I think I pieced together
the answer:

mov mp3 http *
$mov123$ $FILE$ | $lame$ --silent -b 96 -r -$-x$ - -

Of course I have no idea what any of that means or does. ;-)

Ron


--- Ron Mellum <rmellum (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. I modified the convert.conf file as noted below and
> WinAmp
> shows 96 KBPS when I stream mp3's. I'm using iTunes (Mac) and have some
> albums
> ripped using AAC. They show up on the file system with an extension of m4a. I
> added this to the .conf file similar to below, but winAmp still shows it as
> 320KBPS. How would I change the conf file so it streams at 96KBPS instead of
> 320KBPS?
>
> Ron
>
> --- kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> > Quoting "T. J. Angstman" <tj (AT) angstman (DOT) com>:
> >
> > > I was hoping to stream to my pc at work but I apparently do not have
> > > enough bandwidth to do so with my cableone cable modem. Is there any way
> > > to reduce the bitrate of the stream without compromising the quality
> > > locally?
> > >
> > edit conver.conf from this:
> >
> > mp3 mp3 http *
> > -
> >
> > to this
> >
> > mp3 mp3 http *
> > $lame$ --silent -b 96 $FILE$ -
> >
> > and if you need http at home with full bandwidth add this:
> >
> > mp3 mp3 http 127.0.0.1
> > $lame$ --silent -b $BITRATE$ $FILE$ -
> >
> > and more copies of the above for each IP at home that you want. Make sure
> you
> > have LAME installed.
> >
> > -kdf
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

kdf
2004-02-17, 23:11
Quoting Ron Mellum <rmellum (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:

> I guess this is kind of like talking to yourself, but I think I pieced
> together
> the answer:
>
> mov mp3 http *
input format, output format, client type, client id. in all cases, specific
overrides *

> $mov123$ $FILE$ | $lame$ --silent -b 96 -r -$-x$ - -
finds command mov123, file to be played, find lame, lame command options (-b is
output bitrate, - - means stdin and stdout)
>
> Of course I have no idea what any of that means or does. ;-)

what it does...well, it works :)
-kdf

Jeffrey Gordon
2004-02-19, 13:12
Hey I am playing with the convert file so that I can listen to my FLAC
collection at home, from work. Since my upstream can not support
uncompressed audio, I am doing as the previous poster did an using a line
like.

flc mp3 http *
$flac$ -dcs $FILE$ | $lame$ --silent -b 160 - -

This seems to work very well. However I noticed that the tag info is not kept
through the transcoding, is there a way to pass the tag info along?

Jeff
On Wednesday 18 February 2004 01:11, kdf wrote:
> Quoting Ron Mellum <rmellum (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:
> > I guess this is kind of like talking to yourself, but I think I pieced
> > together
> > the answer:
> >
> > mov mp3 http *
>
> input format, output format, client type, client id. in all cases,
> specific overrides *
>
> > $mov123$ $FILE$ | $lame$ --silent -b 96 -r -$-x$ - -
>
> finds command mov123, file to be played, find lame, lame command options
> (-b is output bitrate, - - means stdin and stdout)
>
> > Of course I have no idea what any of that means or does. ;-)
>
> what it does...well, it works :)
> -kdf
>