PDA

View Full Version : Photos of duet internals

mikeselectricstuff
2008-03-27, 05:00
As someone who can't resist taking things apart, thought I'd do it so the more screwdriver-phobic can enjoy...

Pictures here (http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/sbduet.html)

Main surprise is the SD card slot.

Probably not worth reading too much into the 'extra' currently unused bits, as many of these are things that just make sense for possible future options at minimal build cost.

SuperQ
2008-03-27, 12:10
Cool, thanks for the photos.

ik632
2008-04-02, 13:00
Is there any way that you could check to see if the charging pads go directly to the battery? I want to build a second charger for the device out of an existing battery charger (it's from a charger for batteries for the Harmony 1000) and rather than pull the batteries out of the remote every time they need to charge, I'd rather just set it up so I can drop the remote into the cradle.

seanadams
2008-04-02, 15:27
Nice collection of other gizmos you've taken apart there...

mikeselectricstuff
2008-04-02, 15:28
Will check tomorrow but I think probably not. From what I could see when I peeled the rubber off the bottom of the cradle there's nothing in there except an EMC filter, so I would think that the controller has the charge control going on internally.

If you want to nake a second charger, then assuming my assumption above is correct, you just need a simple DC supply, not a charger (you may be able to bypass the charge cct in the charger though).
I can check this as I chopped the cradle cable & put a connector on to allow it to pass through some furniture. Will let you know.

seanadams
2008-04-02, 15:35
Chraging controller circuitry is in the SBC, so it just needs a +5V input.

ik632
2008-04-02, 19:18
If you want to nake a second charger, then assuming my assumption above is correct, you just need a simple DC supply, not a charger (you may be able to bypass the charge cct in the charger though).
I can check this as I chopped the cradle cable & put a connector on to allow it to pass through some furniture. Will let you know.

Mike, that would be great. I'll be making my first one out of MDF but if it turns out nice (and charges as it should), I'll get some burl hard wood and make a second/permanent one.

mikeselectricstuff
2008-04-03, 02:36
Cradle is a simple 5V supply, positive is on the right when looking the the front of th econtroller, the normal way up.
Current draw while charging with display on is about 1 amp.

ik632
2008-04-03, 05:45
Thanks again. Sounds like I can hack up an old cell phone charger and that should do the trick. So, just to confirm polarity it's like the attached picture right?

mikeselectricstuff
2008-04-03, 07:34
Yes. (This space intentionally left blank as the forum software won't let me post a 3-lettrer answer...)

ik632
2008-04-07, 13:45
Thanks again for the help Mike. I'm in the process of building a few auxiliary cradles now thanks to your help. Initial testing is done and they work and charge. I'll start a new thread to show the progress.

jtsystem
2008-10-20, 09:39
--> Main surprise is the SD card slot.

Asides from the Squeezebox Duet Controller's SD card slot, does anyone have a pinout for the multi-pin connector at the bottom edge of the main PCB? (The connector that's covered with a rubber plug).