PDA

View Full Version : My New Duet: Questions and Problems

slutz
2008-03-27, 04:45
Hi,

I just received my new Duet and now I have a lot of questions as many things are new.

- Is there a way to set the static IP address of the controller/receiver without resetting the controller and/or the receiver? If I do it as advised (turning off the DHCP server) the controller gets a 169.x.x.x address.

- I massively used the keyword search and the song scanner plugins. I have installed them on my SC7 but they only show up on my old SBs. I found RetroBrowser but if I use this I don't have the benefits of the new controller. And it's sluggish. Do the developers of the plugins think about making them available on the Controller, too?

- I use a small script that displays the phone number on the SBs' display. It uses the CLI show command. First, the show command returns a response line on SBs for that command. The Controller does not, it waits forever. And the behaviour on the Controller is conpletely different: It only shows a small window. The duration parameter is ignored, it only shows the message for 1 or 2 seconds. The screensaver does not interrupt if a message is displayed. And is there a way to display it in large letters like the background getting dark with white letter (like updating, etc)?

- There is a hole at the top of the Controller. It seems as if I could plug something in there. But I cannot hear anything. What is that hole for? And it has a speaker. It comes to my mind that this would be the basis for a squeezebox in the controller, hmmm... Anybody heard of such? The user's guide does not talk about that hole.

- Is it possible that I saw an IR sender next to that hole?

And now for the problems that I have with the Duet:

- The battery in the controller is empty after about 45-60 min. The web site says something about several hours and with all saving modes multiple days. What are your experiences?

- After about 1.5 hours of listening the receiver sound becomes really bad. The sound becomes some sort of "metallic" and distorted. I think that the received also becomes quite warm. I now had this for 3 times. (I have the Duet since yesterday.) Does anybody have an idea what I can do?

- The Controller often "reboots" without doing anything.

Lots of questions. And I thank you for your answers!
-slutz

radish
2008-03-27, 06:18
Is there a way to set the static IP address of the controller/receiver without resetting the controller and/or the receiver? If I do it as advised (turning off the DHCP server) the controller gets a 169.x.x.x address.

I think to switch from DHCP to static you would need to go back through setup, this is the same as an SB3.

- I massively used the keyword search and the song scanner plugins. I have installed them on my SC7 but they only show up on my old SBs. I found RetroBrowser but if I use this I don't have the benefits of the new controller. And it's sluggish. Do the developers of the plugins think about making them available on the Controller, too?

The best thing would be to get in touch with the plugin authors to ask them specifically, or take a look in the plugins forum. I know that some work is underway to redesign the ff/rew mechanism which will probably end up looking something like Song Scanner, so you may not need that in the end. No telling when it will be available though :)

- I use a small script that displays the phone number on the SBs' display. It uses the CLI show command. First, the show command returns a response line on SBs for that command. The Controller does not, it waits forever. And the behaviour on the Controller is conpletely different: It only shows a small window. The duration parameter is ignored, it only shows the message for 1 or 2 seconds. The screensaver does not interrupt if a message is displayed.

I'd file a bug for this - sounds reasonable to me that the behaviour should be more consistent between devices.

- There is a hole at the top of the Controller. It seems as if I could plug something in there. But I cannot hear anything. What is that hole for? And it has a speaker. It comes to my mind that this would be the basis for a squeezebox in the controller, hmmm... Anybody heard of such? The user's guide does not talk about that hole.

Seriously, there's like a million threads about this :) It's a headphone jack, you can't listen to music through it (yet).

- Is it possible that I saw an IR sender next to that hole?

Yes :)

- The battery in the controller is empty after about 45-60 min. The web site says something about several hours and with all saving modes multiple days. What are your experiences?

Certainly more than 45 mins. Make sure you have the latest firmware and have the screen dimming activated.

- After about 1.5 hours of listening the receiver sound becomes really bad. The sound becomes some sort of "metallic" and distorted. I think that the received also becomes quite warm. I now had this for 3 times. (I have the Duet since yesterday.) Does anybody have an idea what I can do?

This one is weird. What makes the sound go back to normal? Reset? Stopping & restarting playback? Restarting the server? When we know what action fixes it we can figure out where the problem must be.

Again, check for latest firmware. There were issues which would cause restarts, my understanding is they should be much less frequent now.

slutz
2008-03-27, 09:11
- I use a small script that displays the phone number on the SBs' display. It uses the CLI show command. First, the show command returns a response line on SBs for that command. The Controller does not, it waits forever. And the behaviour on the Controller is conpletely different: It only shows a small window. The duration parameter is ignored, it only shows the message for 1 or 2 seconds. The screensaver does not interrupt if a message is displayed.

I'd file a bug for this - sounds reasonable to me that the behaviour should be more consistent between devices.

I think I will do so. But there are some UI guidelines that state that this small window appearing should show up for a few seconds only, so this behaviour might be correct. The question is if there might be another mechanism to display such messages. I thought of these white on black messages that appear when updating, maybe enhanced by an ok/cancel button to close it before the timeout is reached.

Certainly more than 45 mins. Make sure you have the latest firmware and have the screen dimming activated.

I think I have the latest FW. The one that came with the latest SC release.
It's empty and charging again.

This one is weird. What makes the sound go back to normal? Reset? Stopping & restarting playback? Restarting the server? When we know what action fixes it we can figure out where the problem must be.

I need to pull the plug. Maybe reset works, too. I did not try this yet.

Again, check for latest firmware. There were issues which would cause restarts, my understanding is they should be much less frequent now.

Which version is the latest FW, where do I get it from and how do I update the controller FW only?

radish
2008-03-27, 10:10
I need to pull the plug. Maybe reset works, too. I did not try this yet.

If pulling the plug on the player fixes it (but stopping/restarting doesn't) that sounds kinda like a hardware problem. You might want to contact support to confirm.

Which version is the latest FW, where do I get it from and how do I update the controller FW only?
Settings/Advanced/Update will get the latest for the version of SC you have.