PDA

View Full Version : mac network and SB Duet-problems

denmennis
2008-03-26, 14:10
I just received my SB Duet last week and to my dismay, I am having connection problems. Here is my set up:

Intel iMac, wireless network with Time Capsule (n standard) as base and Airport Express (g standard) as wireless access point positioned within 10 feet of SB receiver.

Here is the problem: Internet radio plays flawlessly. Music from my iTunes library (ripped CDs) does not. The first 4 to 6 seconds of just about every song sounds normal. The rest is 4+ stutter. Ihave no problem playing iTunes on my Mac.

I know that there is a connection problem with TC but from my understanding, the problem was that there was no connection at all.

Anyone out there have similar problems?

dj

Eric Seaberg
2008-03-26, 19:38
How have you ripped your music, i.e. which format? Is iTunes playing the same file or is Slim trying to play lossless and iTunes is playing an AAC?

Your wireless bandwidth WILL suffer since you're not only running the Duet wireless, but your iMac server is also wireless. You'd be better off running your iMac wired to the TC, run the TC as 802.11N B/G compatible, lose the Express and let the Duet wirelessly connect to the TC.

denmennis
2008-03-28, 05:17
Eric

Thanks for responding. I appreciate your help. I went into iTunes and found that the CDs were imported using the AAC encoder. I am going to try one using lossless and see what happens. I am also going to to try wiring hte iMac to the TC as you suggested. One thing that I don't want to lose is the AE since I need it for an access point. The TC is also too far from the duet to connect wirelessly.

Thanks again,
dj

Eric Seaberg
2008-03-28, 09:08
If you're ripping AAC then it shouldn't be a problem, as the WORST case would only be 320kbps. You shouldn't have any problems IF you can wire the iMac to the TP and keep the AP. However, with a good wireless connection to the Duet, lossless isn't a problem, either, once you're wired from the server.

I'm using a Mac MINI as my server... actually bought it to do that and nothing else. It has an external 500GB drive and sits in a closet right next to my router for the house. I don't even have a kbd/monitor hooked up to it as I connect remotely to it when necessary. Everything I have is lossless and streams to a wired Transporter (because I also play encoded AC3 or DTS 5.1 files) and wirelessly to an SB3 using an Airport Extreme 'N'. I've not had any skips or stutters, even when the two are sync'd, once I cleaned up the network.

g'luck

denmennis
2008-03-28, 18:45
Eric

Just wanted to give you an update on my problem. I hard wired TC to iMac....no joy there. I left the connection intact since TC is sitting right next to iMac.
I then decided to convert music to MP3 and guess what. I have music!!! I guess that means I was having a badwidth problem as you suggested. Anyway, the quality is satisfactory to my ears, at least for now. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Cheers
dj

denmennis
2008-03-28, 18:46
Badwith? Did I just coin a new word?

dj