PDA

View Full Version : New RadioTime Features

radiobill
2008-03-26, 08:31
RadioTime is steadily organizing the world of free radio for your remote. Send your feedback, so we can make it great and keep it free.

NEW RADIOTIME FEATURES

RadioTime improvements from the SqueezeNetwork and SqueezeCenter arrive today.

* Press "play" from the title (no more drilling down to a specific stream).

* "Now playing" displays the station or show name (instead of Play | 64KB).

* Use the search button to find a station or show.

* Automatic backup streams on failure if there are multiple compatible stream s available. Press "Next" to manually jump to an alternate stream.

* Live show time remaining options. When a show broadcast is available from more than one station, you can still navigate to pick a particular station. Now you'll find them sorted in groups of how much time is available.

* On-demand shows. Where an on-demand option is available for a show you'll find navigation options to listen. Not all of these on-demand streams are compatible with the SqueezeBox and they are not being filtered, so you may see "playlist failed to parse" for some.

* Jive displays station and show logos for easier recognition.

RECEIVE MORE STATIONS FROM CLEAR CHANNEL, COX, and CBS

RadioTime has added thousands of reliable streams to popular programming through special agreements with major broadcasters. We don't make these protected streams available for desktop applications.

TELL US TO FIX IT!

Whenever you find missing or wrong information, tell us first! Find the station or program from radiotime.com, then click "Tell Us to fix it". Or, use the edit links to enter streaming URLs or other changes. A moderator will take care of it, usually within a day.

WHAT DO YOU WANT?

Please share your feedback about what you like and don't, it makes a huge difference.

ARE YOU A RADIO FAN?

If you know and love radio for a particular location or genre, send an email to support@radiotime.com. When we receive your feedback, we'll give you editor privileges and cool tools for managing content. You'll reach millions of listeners and we’ll soon start recognizing the most active RadioFans.

Mark Miksis
2008-03-26, 10:42
Very cool! The station logos on the SBC look great.

mortslim
2008-03-26, 10:57
Just want to say thanks to RadioTime for great service. I use it for both local and non-local stations.

The benefit for local stations is that I can listen without any static I normally get from my real am/fm radio.

bhaagensen
2008-03-26, 15:25
Yes, thumbs up for me to!

I have a small "complaint" though. For my location, Denmark (Aalborg),
there are a number of unsupported (by the SB) stations. Is it possible
to exclude them from the "Local Radio"-listing?

Thanks,

B.

mherger
2008-03-27, 00:29
> I have a small "complaint" though. For my location, Denmark (Aalborg),
> there are a number of unsupported (by the SB) stations. Is it possible
> to exclude them from the "Local Radio"-listing?

Do you know why they are unsupported? Some format we don't play?

--

Michael

bhaagensen
2008-03-27, 00:37
Do you know why they are unsupported? Some format we don't play?

I didn't investigate closely, I can do that later. But in the Local Radio listing clicking on some stations brings me to a page where it says:

'Cannot play Real/Flash/AM/FM - see radiotime.com/sb'

and at that address it says only Windows Media and mp3 are supported on the Squeezebox (on the right, tips and tricks, first bullet)

http://radiotime.com/sb

radiobill
2008-03-27, 08:12
When browsing your local radio, the list includes all RadioTime stations on the dial. Since many won't work, they become clutter and confusing. We'll move these to a sub folder after all the stations that do work.

If we hide them completely users get frustrated; "why don't you have my favorite station".

We need to add a way for users to report "this station does stream!" or "this info is wrong" with the remote. Today you need to go find the station on radiotime.com and add a compatible stream, or press tell us to fix it.

Thanks for the heads up on the radiotime/sb page not explaining, we can fix that.

Bill

Mark Miksis
2008-03-27, 09:59
When browsing your local radio, the list includes all RadioTime stations on the dial. Since many won't work, they become clutter and confusing. We'll move these to a sub folder after all the stations that do work.

If we hide them completely users get frustrated; "why don't you have my favorite station".

I'd suggest leaving the radiotime.com interface as-is wrt "not supported" stations. However, I think they should be filtered out and removed from the SC, SBC and player interfaces.

bhaagensen
2008-03-27, 14:20

I think you'll get questions no matter what you do. If you leave it
like it is, you'll get complaints like mine. If you move them to a sub
folder, you'll be asked why they don't work. And you're probably right
about hiding them.

So since the problem is unavoidable I think the best solution is to
find some good way of explaining why. Perhaps some easily visible
text, or link, to a list of blacklisted stations on the
SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork settings page. I also think it is likely
that many Slim-users, like myself, will not go to the
radiotime-webpage unless they have problems. This solution would also
mean that it would be OK to remove all "bad" stations from the
normal user interfaces.

radiobill
2008-03-28, 03:16
Thanks for the feedback, we listened. Now RadioTime hides stations on the SqueezeBox that don't work, for both local radio and browse.

Later we'll improve the message inviting users to check and report problems from radiotime.com.

Bill

corbey
2008-03-28, 04:49
Just a question - If a station has multiple streams available, does RadioTime default to the highest quality stream for the Squeezebox? For example, if a station offered both 24k and 96k mp3 streams, would Squeezebox users get the 96k stream? Also, is there any way to tell now which stream we're getting? Thanks!

radiobill
2008-03-31, 15:40
Typically the fastest stream that works is the default. The order also depends on reliability, a slower stream may come before and unreliable stream.

dainapoo
2008-05-15, 01:42
Hi,

I've had my sqeezebox for about a year and a half and use it all the time. However, I took a couple of months off from using the Squeeze Network part of the box. I use the browse by location feature alot. However, now when I browse by location virtually all the cities (with the exception of those in California)are gone! Did I miss something? I haven't changed anything; I've just not been using the internet radio part as much.

And it's not that they are just no longer organized; there are a lot few stations period. I had saved a few of them in my favorites and I can get to those stations by that method, but they are no longer found by location.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!