PDA

View Full Version : Few artists sort with last name

Nikhil
2008-03-26, 07:30
I've noticed this only recently after updating to SC 7 - a few artists have suddenly started sorting with their last name rather than first name. I have looked at the tags and can't seem to find anything unusual. Does MusicBrainz Picard put in some 'normally not visible' tags that SC can read?

Two examples are Tori Amos who now hangs out under 'A', rather than 'T' where she used to live before, and Damien Rice who has suddenly moved into the 'R' block from the 'D' block.

Any ideas?

P.S.... Its SC 7 running on Mac OS 10.4.11 on a G4 Mac Mini with 1GB RAM. I checked the tags on the Mac with Play, and they seem fine. Most of the tracks were EAC ripped to FLAC on a WinXP machine (a few are liberated iTunes m4ps converted to flac - yes I know it doesn't improve the quality, but it avoids transcoding everytime, and I do keep these tracks quarantined from the real FLACs), Replay Gained with Foobar2K, and in some cases tagged with Picard, and manually edited with mp3tag if required

ceejay
2008-03-26, 07:58
Well, you obviously do have some other tags hanging around - SC isn't going to reorder them without there being a reason. Odds on that you have some sort of ARTISTSORT tag in there. Have a look with a proper tagger - since you seem to have access to a Windows box, try mp3tag on there.

HTH

Nikhil
2008-03-26, 11:53
You're right. There were additional ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT tags in there. And my hunch that it had something to do with MUSICBRAINZ also turned out correct. So I guess I have 2 options there. I can either

(i) go into the tags and remove all that info wherever its present (I recall coming across a thread earlier today where someone was trying to remove an iTunes Volume Normalization tag - I guess this should be procedurally similar)

or, if possible, and I would prefer this,

(ii) have slimserver ignore these specific tags.

P.S.... Didn't have to turn on my windows machine. 'Tag' which is a sister app to 'Max' and 'Play' on the Mac worked just fine.

ceejay
2008-03-26, 12:07
I can't think of a way to get SS to ignore those tags. One possibility - if you want to hold on to the data - would be to copy the tags from say ARTISTSORT to ZZARTISTSORT, which will be ignored by SS. You would then retain the option of copying it back later.