PDA

View Full Version : Duet Mods

CPC
2008-03-24, 13:09
Anyone got any tips for popping the top off the Duet receiver?

seanadams
2008-03-24, 15:54
First peel the big rubber foot off the bottom.

haunyack
2008-03-24, 17:27

I suppose Duet mod's are right around the corner.
Someday soon, the rubber foot mod will cost $$$.

tyler_durden
2008-03-24, 23:15
The duet was designed by highly educated and experienced engineers who would be the first to tell you that it isn't easy to do. Now along comes you, who has to ask how to get the box open, thinking that once you do, you'll be able to "improve" the device. Do you see the irony in this situation?

My questions is this: what is the source of such glorious self-confidence and how can I get some? You shouldn't be looking for "mods" for audio gear, you should be running for president!

TD

CPC
2008-03-25, 09:32

Sean-

Thanks!

CPC
2008-03-25, 09:40
The duet was designed by highly educated and experienced engineers who would be the first to tell you that it isn't easy to do. Now along comes you, who has to ask how to get the box open, thinking that once you do, you'll be able to "improve" the device. Do you see the irony in this situation?

My questions is this: what is the source of such glorious self-confidence and how can I get some? You shouldn't be looking for "mods" for audio gear, you should be running for president!

TD

If you're in need of self-confidence, I can't help you.

zanash
2008-03-26, 01:19
all kit is built down to a price ....period

the builders are unlikely to have fitted the very best components available as this would make the unit very expensive to market.

I'm only speculating as I've not had the opportunity to use a duet but if it comes with a "noisy" psu like the sb3 then that could be the place to start.

Oh yes if you can't work out how to get into the unit....its telling you to leave well alone ! IMO....

Listener
2008-03-26, 10:27

This describes most of the audiophile scene.

Bill

CPC
2008-03-26, 12:53
Since the Duet's digital section is the same as the SB3, I plan to do the same upgrades I did to my SB3, which came from this excellent thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=45330.0

and produced a very nice improvement.

mikeselectricstuff
2008-03-27, 16:01
One mod that would certainly be practical and possibly actually useful is an external/bigger/better wifi antenna.

Peely
2008-04-01, 00:46
Since the Duet's digital section is the same as the SB3, I plan to do the same upgrades I did to my SB3, which came from this excellent thread:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=45330.0

This stuff cracks me up, modding a digital output. I bet you insist on only the finest oxygen free cabling for your digital output, too?

Last time I copied a file onto my hard drive I seem to remember it working perfectly without any modification and with the cable that came with the computer too.

funkstar
2008-04-01, 02:37
Take a step back guys, mods are not necessarily Audio related, it could have been related to re-boxing the hardware.

ToddSTS
2008-04-01, 12:44
This stuff cracks me up, modding a digital output. I bet you insist on only the finest oxygen free cabling for your digital output, too?

Last time I copied a file onto my hard drive I seem to remember it working perfectly without any modification and with the cable that came with the computer too.

Not saying that a digital output mod works or doesn't work but.....

Writing data to a hard drive involves redundancy checks to make sure the data that is written is the same as what was supposed to be written. SPDIF output doesn't do that AFAIK and therefore isn't the same thing. Kinda like TCP vs. UDP.

Todd

CPC
2008-04-01, 23:31

No, as per the audiocircle.com thread, I'm just using parts which optimize the SPDIF inferface between the SB3/Duet and an external DAC's input.

The guy who came up with the digital output upgrades has over 30 years of experience as a communications network engineer and audio equipment designer.

What communication/digital audio equipment have you designed?

BTW- If you're happy with the stock SB3/Duet don't waste time reading the DIY Forum.

funkstar
2008-04-02, 01:51
BTW- If you're happy with the stock SB3/Duet don't waste time reading the DIY Forum.
DIY forum isn't exclusively for audio mods.

I am perfectly happy with the output of all my players but I'll continue to read this forum (just like i read all the forums, "New Posts" is my home). The non-audio mods are really interesting, actually same goes for the audio mods even though I personally wouldn't bother. If thats what people want to do with their time/money why would I stop them? :)

Howard Passman
2008-04-08, 04:06
I'll take anyone to add to the current crop of presidential fodder.

Please....anyone....

Howard

Phil Leigh
2008-04-08, 07:00

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=45330.0

Did you just remove the inductor as Pat advised?

CPC
2008-04-09, 09:20
Did you just remove the inductor as Pat advised?

No, the pulse transformer and matching components Pat recomended were added along with a BNC jack, and disabling of the 12.2880 osc.

mrfantasy
2008-04-09, 11:46

The word on the street is removing it adds detail and space to the music, although it adds a "wrapped-in-gauze" effect to frequencies between 3000 and 3700Hz.

Paradigm
2008-04-11, 03:28
The dac in the Squeezbox duet receiver is a Wolfson, with internal linedriver used as a buffer. The older SB3 uses separated dac and buffer chip, so you could modify this by simply changing the buffer from the mediocre NJM 2041, to AD 8620 to get a sound that might be better.

This is not possibly in the squeezebox duet receiver- and maybe it would not be beneficial if it was, because the receiver sound so good as it stands unmodified. The only modifikation to be made on the Duet receiver is to swap the two elektrolytics ( 10 uF ) at the analog output, and replace with better sounding polypropylen.

Swapping the switching PSU to something better is not always entirely beneficial. You really have to listen if it sounds any better. It might even sound worse with replacing.

Zaragon
2008-04-14, 14:35
The word on the street is removing it adds detail and space to the music, although it adds a "wrapped-in-gauze" effect to frequencies between 3000 and 3700Hz.

Actually I'd say it lowers the noise floor ......... by about 3mm

Sorry couldn't resist. No comment on mods.

pelliott123
2009-01-29, 06:20
My SBR is stock and interested in modding but only if it makes since. I recently completed a Buffalo DAC build from Twisted Pear Audio and the improvements over my old DAC was dramatic. Attached is a scope pic that with probe attached at the SPDIF input of the DAC driven by the SBR. No music playing just setting at idle. The wave is much better looking than my other source but curious what this actually represents

Phil Leigh
2009-02-01, 09:19
My SBR is stock and interested in modding but only if it makes since. I recently completed a Buffalo DAC build from Twisted Pear Audio and the improvements over my old DAC was dramatic. Attached is a scope pic that with probe attached at the SPDIF input of the DAC driven by the SBR. No music playing just setting at idle. The wave is much better looking than my other source but curious what this actually represents

It represents the fact that you need a scope with a higher bandwidth! :-)

pelliott123
2009-02-02, 09:40
This scope has a 20mhz bandwidth what would be approriate?
thanks in advance

Phil Leigh
2009-02-02, 09:59
thanks in advance

I've got a 60MHz scope and that can't do it either!
I think from memory a 200Mhz scope is required, but I'm not exactly sure...

pelliott123
2009-02-06, 09:55
I was noodling around the WEB and discovered:

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/Squeezebox/squeezebox.html

Some interesting stuff, just curious of other opinions

ar-t
2009-02-06, 16:15

20 MHz is much too low. I use 100 MHz, usually sufficient. Also have a 200 MHz one, so I can safely say that 100 MHz is probably good enough. (I also have a button on both that reduces BW to 20 MHz, so yes, I do know what it looks like.)

Pat

ar-t
2009-02-06, 16:19
This stuff cracks me up, modding a digital output.

Stuff like this, from guys who have not tried it, but also lack knowledge of RF, cracks me up.

No, actually, it irritates the hell out of me.

Pat

seanadams
2009-02-06, 17:57
I was noodling around the WEB and discovered:

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/Squeezebox/squeezebox.html

Some interesting stuff, just curious of other opinions

I really liked this "cargo cult" analogy: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=388695&postcount=14

The resistor that he removed is what sets the output voltage and impedance of the s/pdif output. He made the signal "look right" to him while nothing was attached to the connector, then proclaimed that everything would be perfect once the capacitance (?) of the cable was accounted for. He's lucky to get any signal at all

ar-t
2009-02-07, 03:33
What an idiot. Why am I not surprised that his knowledge is worse than his soldering "skills". I use the term "skills" rather loosely.

I hope that everyone who tries to measure the SPDIF output realises that it must use a 75 ohm cable, with a 75 ohm termination at the 'scope. Anything else is a useless method. About as good as removing the resistor that sets the level and impedance.

I won't mention names, but a very famous amp designer cranked out a CD transport using the same bone-headed approach. And several who either did not terminate the input of the DAC box, or used the wrong impedance. Ignorance is not limited to laymen.

Pat

pelliott123
2009-02-09, 13:35
Whats great about forums like this that through goo discussion one can weed out the bad info.....thanks for your time

badbob
2009-02-09, 14:42
"I won't mention names, but a very famous amp designer cranked out a CD transport using the same bone-headed approach"

Ah go on..

ar-t
2009-02-09, 18:07
Nope.

Pat

Briain
2009-02-10, 03:42
Stuff like this, from guys who have not tried it, but also lack knowledge of RF, cracks me up.

No, actually, it irritates the hell out of me.

Pat

Hi

Oh I don't know, it can often be a far more entertaining alternative to the traditional forms of comedy (as shown on TV). I've heard of some 'RF ideas' that required me to take extremely strong medication (usually whisky) to avoid death by laughter!

Bri

gkh6
2009-02-16, 17:17

TD

Well then by all means everyone stop what you are doing and just be happy with what you have! Don't even try to improve it because you are doomed to fail!

ar-t
2009-02-18, 13:11
I think it is safe to say that anyone struggling with opening the unit may not get the improvement(s) that they are hoping for. Yes, anyone can make it different, but different is not the same as better. Even if you use my work as a reference.

Pat

iPhone
2009-02-18, 13:31
Well then by all means everyone stop what you are doing and just be happy with what you have! Don't even try to improve it because you are doomed to fail!

One doesn't have to be doomed to fail, but it is pretty much a waste of time and good money. If the Duet is not enough for somebody, they should add a good DAC or save up their money and buy a Transporter.

Especially if they can't even figure out that the case screws have to be under the rubber pad at the four corners!

Power Supply modifications are a total waste of time for the SB3 and Duet unless one is going to go whole hog and provide separate regulated voltages for each needed voltage inside the units and disable the internal switching power supplies (read a bunch of work, a good bit of money, very little noticeable improvement, better off adding a good DAC or buying a Transporter).

It really amazes me to see ads on Audiogon for a Boulder Duet with over $1200 worth of modifications. The guy could have just bought a Transporter, ending up with a better DAC, power supply, and 24/96 native.

ar-t
2009-02-18, 16:09
It really amazes me to see ads on Audiogon for a Boulder Duet with over $1200 worth of modifications. The guy could have just bought a Transporter, ending up with a better DAC, power supply, and 24/96 native.

At the risk of being accused of throwing rocks when you live in a glass house, I always wonder the same thing. Actually, it goes beyond that, but I will stop while I am still ahead.

However, there are things that can be measured, and shown to be an improvement (ok, it might be a small improvement), when using an external linear supply.

Pat

pelliott123
2009-02-20, 06:19
Will the SBR run with a 5VDC supply or does it really need 9VDC. I read somewhere ( maybe here) that there are 3VDC and 5VDC regulators on the board

Ryssen
2009-02-20, 07:55
Will the SBR run with a 5VDC supply or does it really need 9VDC. I read somewhere ( maybe here) that there are 3VDC and 5VDC regulators on the board
A regulator usualy needs 2-3volts more to work properly,so 9 volts i needs.

tyler_durden
2009-02-21, 13:34

You missed the point. If you don't know what you're doing you're doomed to fail, and you may not only fail to make the improvement you desire, you may render the device nonfunctional. I suggest that if you know nothing about electronics and circuit design, instead of trying to "improve" your electronic devices, you might try scrap-booking, or needle-point, or knitting, or photography. All of these activities allow you some creative outlet without putting your expensive electronics at risk.

pelliott123
2009-02-24, 08:04
A regulator usualy needs 2-3volts more to work properly,so 9 volts i needs.

With the 5vcd linear ps hooked up I got 3.3vdc on Vcc on the SPDIF generator and I got 5Vdc on AVdd and 3.3VDC on DVdd on the wolson chip. I did not check the Realtek chip because the pins were to close together to safely check

I got the voltages with the stock 9VDC wall wart.

Ryssen
2009-02-24, 11:04
Yes,it needs 9 volts.
If you have a variable DC source you cold try to lower it and see what happens..

pelliott123
2009-02-24, 12:16
With the 5vcd linear ps hooked up I got 3.3vdc on Vcc on the SPDIF generator and I got 5Vdc on AVdd and 3.3VDC on DVdd on the wolson chip. I did not check the Realtek chip because the pins were to close together to safely check

What I meant was "I got the same voltages with the stock 9VDC wall wart as well as the 5VDC linear".

Ryssen
2009-02-24, 12:23
Ok,is everything working (can you play music)at 5V dc?

pelliott123
2009-02-26, 14:27
Ok,is everything working (can you play music)at 5V dc?

Yes its sound great

seanadams
2009-02-26, 17:09
A multimeter might tell you there's 5V at AVDD, but without the required dropout voltage you are not getting a regulated output. In other words, its noisy. You may think it sounds peachy, but you've just crippled the internal power supplies.

Phil Leigh
2009-02-27, 00:48
Why would anyone want to run a 9V device on a 5V supply. That's about as sensible as trying to run it on a 15V supply...

Guys - these things are DESIGNED not thrown together on a wet afternoon.
The golden rule of modding ought to be "just because you can doesn't mean you should"!

pelliott123
2009-02-27, 08:16
May I got lucky because the 5 volt supply is actually putting out very close to 6VDC. I probably could go in there and and see what regulator its using and make a change

Phil Leigh
2009-02-27, 10:39
May I got lucky because the 5 volt supply is actually putting out very close to 6VDC. I probably could go in there and and see what regulator its using and make a change

Why on earth would you want to do that. It's a 9V design.

pelliott123
2009-03-03, 10:43
Why on earth would you want to do that. It's a 9V design.

It is because its what I had on hand. I thought I would try it out. Whats the harm. I'm not using the analog out, only the digital out and since the digital side only uses 5 and 3.3 vdc I thought it might work and it seems to be doing fine. I may get around to building a 9vdc PS. What I did get accomplished was to get a noisy switching supply out of my system. I do not think I am on shaky ground here, just stating what I am doing and sharing this with others here. I thought that was what this place is for. Would information ever get shared it every time someone puts forth an idea or fact that is true to themselves they get get blasted!

seanadams
2009-03-03, 10:51
It is because its what I had on hand. I thought I would try it out. Whats the harm. I'm not using the analog out, only the digital out and since the digital side only uses 5 and 3.3 vdc I thought it might work and it seems to be doing fine. I may get around to building a 9vdc PS. What I did get accomplished was to get a noisy switching supply out of my system. I do not think I am on shaky ground here, just stating what I am doing and sharing this with others here. I thought that was what this place is for. Would information ever get shared it every time someone puts forth an idea or fact that is true to themselves they get get blasted!

What is a "fact that is true to themselves"?

Nobody wants to stop you from tinkering, but some are taking issue with your claim that the thing is running just fine on the wrong power supply voltage. It is factually, objectively false, but you won't entertain that idea. You think you have improved it by getting rid of the (heaven forfend!) switching power supply, and this expectation bias will have an overwhelming impact on your listening tests to convince you that it sounds better. Do a _controlled_ listening test, or perform some measurements, and you will see that the internal (linear regulated - yay!) power supply to the analog stage has been crippled by your mod. This will be reflected at the RCA outputs in the form of noise and distortion.

iPhone
2009-03-03, 11:06

You did no such thing. The unit has internal switchers, so what difference does it make to remove the external main switching supply?! I will tell you that it made no differnce and has more then likely downgraded the performance. The unit is designed to run from a 9VDC supply voltage, period! And if noise from the OEM supply is showing up, there is a high probability that you have a ground loop problem in your system or a defective OEM PS.

Now if you want to go inside and disable all the internal switching supplies and then feed the point after the switcher with separate external linear supplies, then we will talk about the mild but not worth the time and money impovements that might be gained.

Playing around with the external or internal power supplies on a unit that costs $149 is just plain silly. Is tinkering fun, it sure is. But again it's a complete waste of time as far as the PS on the Receiver is concerned. Phil and I have both tested several different power sources with no measureable or audible difference.

Phil Leigh
2009-03-03, 13:00

That was't a blast. I simply asked a question - which you have answered.
As you are not using the analogue outs, you won't have noticed that they are no longer working properly. However, I'm more interested in your assertion that you have removed a "noisy switching supply" from your system:
1) how do you know it was noisy? - did you hear noise or measure it?
2) are you assuming that all switching supplies are "noisy" (they aren't)
3) are you assuming that all linear supplies are intrinsically "better" than their equivalent switching supply (they aren't)
4) given you are using the spdif out, how would the PSU noise have affected your sound? - are you assuming PSU-induced jitter must have been present?

These are all interesting questions. iPhone and I have tested various supplies (iPhone has tested battery power also) and found no difference in the output from our DACS. My tests were on an SB3, and this was the result I was expecting given the internal power architecture of the SB3. I fail to see how any external PSU can materially improve the jitter on the spdif output of an SB3... and so far this is backed-up by testing.

ar-t
2009-03-04, 00:11
I have to disagree slightly. I can measure, and I can see that there are differences on both the analog and digital outputs, when going from the stock switcher to a linear.

Are they minute? Yes. Can you hear them? No idea.

The differences are more pronounced on the SB3, not that it matters any. A different power scheme, so that should be expected.

Having said all of that..........thinking that just because you get the right voltage under the wrong conditions is no indication of any sort of improvement. In fact, as many have pointed out, it will actually be worse.

I have tried to stay out of this, as I don't want to be seen as discouraging someone from learning. But learning also means that you have to listen to more than your crippled Duet. Not sure that you are doing either. I wish you well, but you have a lot to learn. I suggest that you start by making a U-turn. You are going in the wrong direction, and are impervious to that fact.

Pat

pryamomimo
2009-03-04, 01:28
I remembered there was a post where Sean mentioned that 9V PSU was selected because it was available rather than because the Receiver was designed with EXACTLY 9V supply in mind.

Actually, here it is: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=263837#post263837

It seems the prototypes and early samples came with a 6.8V PSU.

I would assume the receiver simply needs a usual minimum of around 2V headroom above its highest regulated voltage, which I believe is 5V. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

pelliott123
2009-03-04, 08:53
Last night I listened again to both power supplies, stock and 5vDC linear that is actually putting out 5.6VDC. I cannot hear much if any difference.
I am using SPDIF out into a Buffalo DAC which I recently built.
I never mentioned or suggested to anyone that this was the way the world should follow. I made no claims that this is better, I just mentioned it as something I tried and it seems to work. I apologized if you guys feel I stepped on your holy ground here. You can take this forum and....(just fill in the blank with what ever your petty little minds can conjure up.......!!!!)

Phil Leigh
2009-03-05, 11:17
Last night I listened again to both power supplies, stock and 5vDC linear that is actually putting out 5.6VDC. I cannot hear much if any difference.
I am using SPDIF out into a Buffalo DAC which I recently built.
I never mentioned or suggested to anyone that this was the way the world should follow. I made no claims that this is better, I just mentioned it as something I tried and it seems to work. I apologized if you guys feel I stepped on your holy ground here. You can take this forum and....(just fill in the blank with what ever your petty little minds can conjure up.......!!!!)

I think that when the device designer takes the time to try and inform you, you should at least listen to what he says.

I'm not quite sure what response you were expecting:
"oh how wonderful"?
"wow - I never knew that could work"?

iPhone
2009-03-05, 12:09
I remembered there was a post where Sean mentioned that 9V PSU was selected because it was available rather than because the Receiver was designed with EXACTLY 9V supply in mind.

Actually, here it is: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=263837#post263837

It seems the prototypes and early samples came with a 6.8V PSU.

I would assume the receiver simply needs a usual minimum of around 2V headroom above its highest regulated voltage, which I believe is 5V. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

For proper operation of the switchers and voltage regulators, an offset voltage higher then the desired output of the regulator is required. It is smart for the manufacture to pick an external power supply that is readily available and that is certified in the countries they wish to sell the device in. And yes SD could have used a different PS (lower voltage), the point I was making was that a 9VDC supply is readily available, have a better price point due to other devices using them, already certified in about every place in the world, and is exactly what was being looked for.

The final point being, why design or require the manufacture of a custom or not overly used by others power supply when a 9VDC supply does the job and are in abundant cheap supply IE basically what the Receiver was designed to use.

loxllxol
2009-04-06, 01:39
That was't a blast. I simply asked a question - which you have answered.
As you are not using the analogue outs, you won't have noticed that they are no longer working properly. However, I'm more interested in your assertion that you have removed a "noisy switching supply" from your system:
1) how do you know it was noisy? - did you hear noise or measure it?
2) are you assuming that all switching supplies are "noisy" (they aren't)
3) are you assuming that all linear supplies are intrinsically "better" than their equivalent switching supply (they aren't)
4) given you are using the spdif out, how would the PSU noise have affected your sound? - are you assuming PSU-induced jitter must have been present?

These are all interesting questions. iPhone and I have tested various supplies (iPhone has tested battery power also) and found no difference in the output from our DACS. My tests were on an SB3, and this was the result I was expecting given the internal power architecture of the SB3. I fail to see how any external PSU can materially improve the jitter on the spdif output of an SB3... and so far this is backed-up by testing.

Since you're not too fond of power supply mods, would you say the same for the Bolder digital mods if an outboard DAC is used?

Phil Leigh
2009-04-06, 09:42
Since you're not too fond of power supply mods, would you say the same for the Bolder digital mods if an outboard DAC is used?

I'd be fond of PSU upgrades if they worked (ie improved the sound) - however as explained there is very little to be gained from simply upgrading the external supply without also re-arranging the internal PSU arrangements.

As for the Bolder Digital Mods... I couldn't possibly say, since I haven't heard them. I see that the top-end Bolder mods do address the internal PSU. I'm slightly bemused by the pricing of the "statement" mod that seems to revolve mostly around removing components (like nearly the whole analogue stage for example!) but hey-ho. I'm sure the ByBee quantum thingy is most of the cost.

Maybe someone who has a modded unit and a stock unit could do an AudioDiffMaker test on the digital output into the same DAC and see what happens? I'm pretty sure the analogue output sounds quite different...

NewBuyer
2009-04-14, 01:55
...Maybe someone who has a modded unit and a stock unit could do an AudioDiffMaker test on the digital output into the same DAC and see what happens?...

I too would be very interested in the result...

dxco
2009-04-24, 04:40
Hi,

I have done a Receiver modification, actually it's really not a modification, more a upgrade of DAC section. I wanted to test the performance of the I2S digital audio output stream, too see if it was as good (or better) than a high-end CD-drive. I have made a board using high performance components and the result was clear, the Receiver is just as good a source as the CD-drive. The CD-drive I used was from the kit-company Daisy-Laser, http://www.daisy-laser.com/, which many high-end audio companies uses.

See more about my board here:

http://www.dxco.dk/SBRdac-index.html

http://www.dxco.dk/SBRdac-design.html

Also, thanks to everybody using this forum, I have been reading alot - and usually I can find answers to all my SB "challenges"

Jonas / dxco

ntom
2009-04-30, 18:08
Not sure either mod or upgrade adequately describe what you are doing here!!

When's the kit going to be available??!

Sophisticated indeed!!