PDA

View Full Version : Duet Album Art vs. iPod Cover Flow

august
2008-03-23, 21:41
For years I have ripped my CDís to MP3ís for my original iPod and Wave files for my Audiotron.

Then finally I got a 160 GB iPod Classic. It seems like I waited a long time for an iPod large enough to hold my entire music collection using a lossless format. (Too bad itís ALAC instead of FLAC, but oh well.) Still using the Audiotron, I continued needing two separate folders, now one for ALAC and another for Wave.

I have been biding my time looking to buy a new digital player for my audio system, one that would play ALAC files. And then with perfect timing ÖÖÖÖÖ the Duet is released!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Slim Devices you have created a wonderful thing!

I am finally using just one file format for both iPod and home. The Duet controller, although not perfect, works very well.

So this brings me to my comment. On my iPod, while in the Cover Flow mode, the succession of albums is by artist name not album name. I really like choosing music this way. At least for my mind, if I am browsing and not looking for something specific, the combination of the Album Art with the artists name really helps me decide what I am in the mood to hear. And if I have multiple albums by one artist, choosing the one I want visually is much easier and faster than reading the album names. But if you are browsing on the Duet controller and you want the advantage of seeing the album art, the order is by album name only! While it is sometimes handy to be able to find an album just by its name I think we should have the choice to have (or not have) the album art appear with the artist list or the album list.

I am hoping that this ability might be included in a future firmware update!

As an object of industrial design, the Duet controller is very beautiful! Ergonomically well thought out, visually stunning and well executed! My only criticism would be that the high-gloss plastic shell, while looking great out of the box, will over time, quickly look scratched and worn! I think a better choice of material would have been the same plastic as the top shell. (Sorry, Iím a product designer and canít help myself!)

bklaas
2008-03-24, 06:58
So this brings me to my comment. On my iPod, while in the Cover Flow mode, the succession of albums is by artist name not album name. I really like choosing music this way. At least for my mind, if I am browsing and not looking for something specific, the combination of the Album Art with the artists name really helps me decide what I am in the mood to hear.

No disagreement...this is a to-be-fixed bug:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6591

cheers,
#!/ben