PDA

View Full Version : Problems setting up receiver

EliteAV
2008-03-23, 10:39
I am having problems setting up my receiver - it is stuck on the blue led phase (i.e. waiting to connect to a music source).

These are the steps I am following:

1) Put receiver (wireless) into setup mode (red light flashing)
2) Select Choose Player option on controller and select "Squeezebox NNNNN".
3) Set an IP address for the receiver (I dont have DHCP enabled on my router) - this is in the range 192.168.1.nnn (i.e same subnet as router).
4) Controller indicates "Connecting to <network>", receiver led goes from red to yellow then blue. Which confirms that the network settings have been passed from the controller to the receiver, the receiver has used these to create a (new) network connection and it now needs to connect to a music source (SqueezeCenter, SqueezeNetwork etc).

5) Controller (after approx 1 min) says that setup failed - with options to try again or skip. Trying again doesnt fix the problem. I am not presented with the option to select a music source (for the receiver).

I have tried power cyling the controller & resetting the receiver (holding led button for 6 seconds) and the restarting the process, but to no avail.

The controller is working fine with my SB3 (wireless) and SC7 (on a Vista PC - wired to router). I have a good wireless signal throughout the house and dont have MAC filtering enabled on the router.

Update: The MAC address of the receiver is shown on the connected wireless clients page of my router, however, I cannot ping the receiver.

System Details:

Router: Linksys WAG54GX2 with SSID broadcast enabled and WEP enabled (128 bit key)
SBC: Firmware version 7.0.1 r2114
SqueezeCenter: 7.0.1 - 17825 - Windows Vista - EN - cp1252
PC: Vista 32bit firewall ports open - TCP 9000, TCP 3483, UDP 3483

Wireless: 802.11g, channel 6 (on router) - signal strength as
reported by SB3 - 71%, all bars on SBC.

I am running out of ideas so any suggestions would be welcome!

Zaragon
2008-03-23, 13:44
I'd suggest that you check the address that you gave the receiver is correct and that it is on the same subnet as the rest of the network, particularly the SqueezeCentre.

If the router has the capability try pinging the receiver, it should respond.

You can also try: tracert -d <receiver_ip> from the server to see just how far it gets.

Check that the mac address that you have in the router does match that of the receiver and that it doesn't duplicate any other device on the network.

Try, temporarily, connecting the receiver to the router although this will require you to plug it in first and then to reset it and go through the set up again.

EliteAV
2008-03-23, 14:30
I'd suggest that you check the address that you gave the receiver is correct and that it is on the same subnet as the rest of the network, particularly the SqueezeCentre.

If the router has the capability try pinging the receiver, it should respond.

You can also try: tracert -d <receiver_ip> from the server to see just how far it gets.

Check that the mac address that you have in the router does match that of the receiver and that it doesn't duplicate any other device on the network.

Try, temporarily, connecting the receiver to the router although this will require you to plug it in first and then to reset it and go through the set up again.

Zaragon, thanks for the suggestions. These are the results:

1) PC IP running SqueezeCenter IP is 192.168.1.24, SBR is 192.168.1.30 so on same subnet.

2) Pinging SBR from router times out, however, the router does show the SBR as a connected wireless client (the MAC address of the SBR is listed, but not the IP address).

3) tracert times out.

4) I have checked the MAC address of the SBR against all other devices on my network & it is unique.

5) Wiring the SBR into a hub and performing the setup works. However, the location where the SBR will be sited (on ground floor) doesnt have a network socket, so I do need to be able to use it wirelessly. What is odd is that I have been using an SB3 (on ground floor) wirelessly for a few years without any problems and nothing on my network config or SC setup has changed.

I wonder whether there is a problem with the sensitivity of the wireless card in the SBR as I noticed when running the setup from the SBC (and the SBC creates it's own adhoc network connection), I only need to move the SBC a dozen feet from the SBR and the SBR disappears of the SBC players list. Or perhaps there is a problem with the code in the SBR that handles the config of new wireless (WEP secured) connections. All very odd.

Zaragon
2008-03-23, 15:58
The ad-hoc connection doesn't use as much wireless power so the range is reduced.

I understand about you wanting to use wireless the reason for checking wired was just to prove that it could connect.

I take it that it would be normal for your router to show the IP address address of wirelessly connected devices. So it does suggest to me that although the receiver is attached to the router it hasn't been allowed access.

I don't recall if the receiver changes it's light colour if it fails authentication but I don't think so. It may be therefore that the wep key doesn't match Key 1 in the router. I originally said the above but I recall that you said the controller is connected OK so as it passes on the setup to the receiver the key will be correct. (I left it in for reference in case it is useful to anyone else.)

The receiver should be as capable of wireless as the SB3 but the orientation of the aerials is slightly different because it lies down rather than being on it's edge. You could try to see if the signal strength is the problem by moving it next to the router temporarily.

It may also be worth temporarily disabling security on the router and checking that. I can't really see why it would make a difference but I've seen dafter things work before.

EliteAV
2008-03-23, 17:19
It may also be worth temporarily disabling security on the router and checking that. I can't really see why it would make a difference but I've seen dafter things work before.

Zaragon, that was a good suggestion! I disabled WEP on the router, setup the Controller again, then tried to setup the receiver. Initially, the receiver got to the blue LED stage and the controller said that the setup had failed. I power cycled the Controller, selected the Select Player option and when I did this, I could then select a music source.

It looks like there may be a problem with the handover of the WEP key from the controller to receiver?

Obviously, I dont want to leave my wireless network so will try switching to WPA instead & will report back my findings. I have spent hours on this (& I work in IT so am used to doing this sort of thing for a living, albeit with software rather than hardware), so your assistance has been a big help.

On a side note, I have noticed that my controller seems to reboot itself frequently when viewing the network status page - not sure if anyone else has seen this.

EliteAV
2008-03-23, 18:26
...Spoke too soon. Changed router encryption to WPA and receiver setup failed. Changed back to WEP and setup failed. Am going nowhere fast with this. As it is now 0130AM, I think I will give up on this until tomorrow.

EliteAV
2008-03-25, 06:19
Another episode in the exciting saga of trying to get my receiver to work;-)

I have now tried No encryption, WEP and WPA on my network - in all cases the SSID is broadcast. No encryption worked once but this isnt reproducible.

I have tried assigning a static IP address to the receiver (via the controller) and using the DHCP server on my router.

Regardless of which method I use, the controller can connect to the network, but the receiver cannot. It either gets to the blue LED stage or if I move the receiver 6" to the side, the yellow LED stage. In either case, the connected wireless clients page on my router shows the MAC addresses of both the controller and receiver which suggests that authentication (if reqd) has been successfull. However, whilst the router shows the controller on the ARP clients page with it's IP address, the receiver isnt listed and cant be pinged.

According to the user guide, when the blue LED shows, this indicates that the receiver is connected to the network and awaiting a music source. However, my observations would suggest that whilst it has been authenticated on the network (when using wireless), another network join/negotiation stage is reqd (I am not an expert here so am not sure exactly what is happening at this point). The white LED (according to the user guide) indicates that a music source has been selected, however, I think that it is only at this point that the receiver can be PINGed.

I was interested in seeing exactly what network settings had been transferred from the controller to the receiver in setup mode so have been using Robin Bowes excellent SBR config tool (more info here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43722).

I used the SBR config tool with the receiver wired to a network hub and in "init" (slow flashing red LED) mode, to set all of the reqd config options for a wired connection with static IP, reset the receiver, watched it go through it's red, yellow, blue and finally white LED stages without problems.

I then wanted to test the receiver with a wireless config, so left all of the device and server IP addresses (from the previous test) as they were, toggled the <interface> option to use wireless (WEP with 128bit hex key, wireless channel 6 and wireless region 14 (Europe), again with static IP - no joy. Tried DHCP, same result. Tried disabling encryption on the network and clearing the <wireless_wep_on> flag on the receiver. Same result. In all cases, the receiver is stuck at the blue LED stage, ostensibly connected to my router (i.e. listed as a wireless client) but unreachable.

I did wonder whether the receiver had a fault and was permanently operating in low power mode (i.e. as used during the creation of the adhoc connection with the controller), but that wouldnt explain how my router (which is in the attic and the receiver on the ground floor) always shows the receiver on it's connected wireless device status page. I also tried setting up the receiver 1 foot from the wireless router, but same result - blue LED and unreachable on the network - which rules out transmission power as a cause.

I have now spent close to 12 hours trying to find the cause of this issue, so apologies if this is starting to look the ramblings of a mad man;-). But I am still no closer to working out why every other wireless device (all 11g) in my house works (*including the controller and SB3*) with my network (1 router, single sub-net in detached building with no interference from other networks), but the receiver wont.

I have raised a ticket with support (& referred them to both this and Wyzard's thread about his, possibly related, connectivity problem).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- It would be interesting to hear from people (via this thread) who have *successfully* got their receivers working wirelessly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EliteAV
2008-03-25, 14:09
I changed my router encryption to WPA-PSK (Personal) using TKIP and can now use the receiver wirelessly.

I used Robin's SBR config utility to do this as it provides more control than the controller (no pun intended). I know that I had previously tried WPA2 (TKIP+AES) once before and this seemed to work, but didnt when I switched to WEP and then back again (to try & confirm that WEP was the cause of the problem). However, I have tried so many tests, I have lost track.

I suspect that whilst the controller will work happily with WEP, the receiver appears to have an issue with this (I wonder if the 26 char hex value is being truncated?).

Anyway, I am now very happy:-) and will let Logitech support know.

EliteAV
2008-03-26, 13:22
I think I am about to have a massive sense of humour failure.

As noted in my last post, I finally managed to get the receiver to work by switching to WPA encryption and was able to play music without any issues last night for an hour or so.

When I left for work this morning, the receiver LED was blue which meant that the server was sleeping. I woke the server (using my SB3) and checked that all was well on the receiver. It was, the light purple/white light was showing.

I come home this evening and the LED is yellow which means that it has dropped off the network. I ran the SBR config tool and noticed that the wireless_wpa_cipher had changed from TKIP (1) to AES+TKIP. Am not sure what caused it to change as all of my other wireless devices were still connected OK.

Currently, the receiver is sitting there stubbornly refusing to change from its yellow LED state despite my performing a factory reset and resetting every option using the SBR config tool.

At first I viewed these issues as a challenge, but my patience is running out now. I am absolutely convinced the receiver has intermittent problems with encrypted networks.

EliteAV
2008-03-26, 16:47
Having now spent another 3 hours trying to get this bl**dy thing to work, I am calling it a day & will be sending it back to the retailer. There is either some really obscure bug in build 22 of the firmware relating to encrypted wireless networks or it's an intermittent hardware fault.

I actually had a 2nd Duet on backorder with another retailer due this weekend, it will be interesting (to put it politely) if the receiver has the same issues.

I have a ticket open with support on this, but am not optimistic of a breakthrough there.

slimpy
2008-03-26, 17:04
Have you ever tried the following?
-turn off controller
-put receiver into setup mode
-unplug wireless router - reconnect after 5 minutes
-turn on controller
-set up receiver

-s.

mortslim
2008-03-26, 22:18
I sit on the sidelines waiting for things to settle down in terms of stability and reliability. Maybe just a few more firmware revisions.

EliteAV
2008-03-27, 06:53
-turn off controller
-turn on controller
-set up receiver
-s.

I have tried variations of the above but that was without switching off the router for more than 30 secs (when I have needed to reboot it to enable/disable it's DHCP server). I am happy to try another couple of tests before sending the receiver (& controller as it was part of a Duet bundle) back, but am intrigued by what switching off the router for 5 mins will do.

What is weird about this problem is that when I first got the receiver, I was able to get it configured using the controller without any issues (I think I may have had to power cycle the receiver before I could select the player on the controller, but that was it). Wireless signal strength (on receiver and controller) was good at 75-80% and the network was using WEP encryption. However, 5 minutes into playing a track, the receiver stopped playing and the yellow LED came on (indicating that the network connection had dropped). That was just the start of all my troubles!

Since then, I have briefly had the receiver working with no encryption and (most recently) with WPA for a couple of hours & it stayed connected to the network all night.

I suspect from this that the encryption settings are a red herring but as it stands now the receiver appears to be unable to join any network other than the adhoc one created by the controller (& even then setup via the controller fails as the receiver LED remains on yellow and the controller displays it usual failed to connect message). Whilst all this is going on, I have no problems with the controller connecting/disconnecting from the wireless network.

I spoke to the retailer I bought the Duet from today and they havent had any returns yet which would tend to rule out a general firmware bug so that leaves 2 possibilities:

1) A problem with my setup/environment - perhaps its a specific firmware compatibility issue between the receiver (but not the controller) and my router: a Linksys WAG54GX2.

2) An intermittent hardware fault with the receiver.

I dont have another router to test with but may wait until the weekend when my second Duet arrives so that I can rule out (2).

Skunk
2008-03-27, 06:57
I work in IT so am used to doing this sort of thing for a living, albeit with software rather than hardware

I wouldn't normally suggest this, but since you work in IT maybe you have a spare computer lying around that you could try loading Squeezecenter on, preferably one running a different OS. I seem to get different connection issues depending on whether I'm using my Win2k PC versus my EEE pc.

Anyway, best of luck getting it figured out.

EliteAV
2008-03-27, 13:43
-turn off controller
-turn on controller
-set up receiver

-s.

OK. Have now tried this and no joy - receiver still shows yellow LED meaning no connection.

I have another router (a Draytek 2820N ADSL/Pre-N) on order for the weekend (along with another Duet), so using both of these, I should finally be able to determine where the fault lies & if it is hardware, can then advise the retailer when I return the receiver.

Skunk, thanks for the suggestion. I do have 4 other PC's at home but they are all running Vista. However, the problem I am having is with the receiver connecting to the wireless network rather than SC on the server.

EliteAV
2008-03-29, 03:39
I received my 2nd Duet today (I always planned to have 2).

I wanted to see if I would have problems setting up the 2nd receiver with a wireless connection as this would then confirm a firmware compatability issue with my router (Linksys WAG54GX2).

Well, this was a different experience! I had the 2nd receiver setup (using the controller) in a couple of minutes and it was able to connect to SC on my music server with no power cycle reqd of the receiver or router. I wanted to compare the network settings (using Robin Bowes SBR Config tool) for the 2nd receiver with the 1st to see if there were any differences and these are listed below:

Receiver 1 not working...

UDAP [1] (squeezebox 161bc9)> list
bridging: 0
hostname:
interface: 0
lan_gateway: 192.168.1.1
lan_ip_mode: 0
lan_network_address: 192.168.1.29
lan_subnet_mask: 255.255.255.0
primary_dns: 192.168.1.1
secondary_dns: 0.0.0.0
server_address: 0.0.0.0
squeezecenter_address: 192.168.1.24
squeezecenter_name:
wireless_SSID: <mySSID>
wireless_channel: 6
wireless_keylen: 0
wireless_mode: 0
wireless_region_id: 14
wireless_wep_key_0:
wireless_wep_key_1:
wireless_wep_key_2:
wireless_wep_key_3:
wireless_wep_on: 0
wireless_wpa_cipher: 3
wireless_wpa_mode: 1
wireless_wpa_on: 1
wireless_wpa_psk: <myPSK>

Receiver 2 working OK...

UDAP [1] (squeezebox 161bba)> list
bridging: 0
hostname:
interface: 0
lan_gateway: 192.168.1.1
lan_ip_mode: 0
lan_network_address: 192.168.1.31
lan_subnet_mask: 255.255.255.0
primary_dns: 192.168.1.1
secondary_dns: 0.0.0.0
server_address: 0.0.0.0
squeezecenter_address: 192.168.1.24
squeezecenter_name:
wireless_SSID: <mySSID>
wireless_channel: 6
wireless_keylen: 0
wireless_mode: 0
wireless_region_id: 14
wireless_wep_key_0:
wireless_wep_key_1:
wireless_wep_key_2:
wireless_wep_key_3:
wireless_wep_on: 0
wireless_wpa_cipher: 3
wireless_wpa_mode: 1
wireless_wpa_on: 1
wireless_wpa_psk: <myPSK>

...as you can see, with the exception of the receiver's IP address, they are identical. Both receivers have the same firmware (v22) and are in the same location. Both receivers work with a wired connection but wireless only works in the 2nd. As I have now ruled out all other variables, the only conclusion is that there is a hardware fault in the 1st.

I am now returning the 1st Duet to the retailer & including the above info. Hopefully, I should get a replacement in 5 days and (touch wood) this will be my last posting in this thread:-)