PDA

View Full Version : Another duet setup problem...

andreas-ber
2008-03-22, 22:53
The duet is a great combination, but setup really seems to be tricky to unreliable at this point. Here is what I am dealing with:

> Controller:
Connects to WLAN
Gets IP from DHCP
Replies to Pings
Connects to Squeezebox 2 in the network
Displays the presence of my new Receiver upon setup
BUT: Does not connect to Receiver

> Receiver:
Gets IP from DHCP
Replies to Pings
But: Does not react to Controller, LED turns blue after some time of red blinking

The latter happens with or without an additional ethernet connection. Controller and receiver simply won't connect even though the networkl connection seems to be OK.

I have no idea anymore what to do. Any hints?

Happy Easter to anyone out here!

Andreas

smc2911
2008-03-22, 22:56
What is your network set-up? I had similar problems when I had two different wireless routers on different sub-nets. Once I forced them both onto the same sub-net, the problem disappeared.

andreas-ber
2008-03-23, 01:36
i have two different subnets for security reasons. one subnet is for lan access and one for wlan access. even though my squeezebox 2 has no problems with this setup, i will do a test on one subnet. an additional ethernet connection to the receiver doesn't seem to help.

smc2911
2008-03-23, 05:23
This thread gives some background on my experience: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43346

Zaragon
2008-03-23, 06:17
The blue light on the receiver indicates that it can't see SqueezeCentre.

Once you have set up the receiver for wireless access, which was successful, then plugging in an ethernet cable has no effect as it is ignored. To configure for ethernet plug in the cable and then re-set it up. Hold the button until flashing red then reconfigure with the controller.

The receiver and the SqueezeCentre find each other using a broadcast mechanism, as does the SB2. Broadcasts are limited to the subnet. It seems that the receiver and SqueezeCentre are on different subnets.

However, since the controller found the SC the same way and then gave that same config to the receiver I'm a little puzzled as to why they can't see each other.

Not sure how you have your subnets configured and what security you have between them. Have you blocked the receiver in some way where the controller isn't?

smc2911
2008-03-24, 01:25
The receiver and the SqueezeCentre find each other using a broadcast mechanism, as does the SB2. Broadcasts are limited to the subnet. It seems that the receiver and SqueezeCentre are on different subnets.I'm not sure of the technical details, but as I understand it the ad-hoc connection that the SBC makes to the SBR during set-up uses quite a different mechanism from the IP broadcast to find available music servers. To find a server, for the SBR it must be on the same sub-net, while the config between SBC and SBR is a special process, presumably utilising a pre-determined temporary network connection. In any event, you certainly need the SBR to be on the same sub-net as your music server.

andreas-ber
2008-03-26, 05:51
The thread at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=45196 describes the same problem.

The receiver seems to have connectivity problems with encrypted wireless networks.

So I will try next what is recommended there. Luckily I am quite experienced with networking.

However, Logitech should be aware that this matter could make many customers very unhappy even though the product is basically a great one.