PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

james e
2008-03-22, 07:28
I'm doing a little bit of research on this product and I would like some questions answered before I buy.

1. I use iTunes for my library and I've spent a lot of time organizing specific playlists. Can the duet access and play my iTunes playlists or can it just access the music.

2. Does the duet have to be wireless? I have a computer with a wired router and ethernet running to my stereo. Would I still be able to use the duet?

3. Is the remote IR, Bluetooth, etc.? How far is the remote's range? Can I use it if I am in the other room or outside?

Thanks!

ds2021
2008-03-22, 07:47
I don't use itunes, so other than the fact that SqueezeCenter supports it, I cannot answer that question.

The Duet Receiver may be wired or wireless. The Controller is wifi only, no IR, no bluetooth. The Receiver can act as a wifi bridge for the Controller if you do not otherwise have wifi set up. Given this range is wide, the exact extent of which will depend on individual circumstances. Through walls and outside would not be a problem, again depending on individual circumstances (e.g., adhoc less than infrastructure, 82.11B<G<N, etc.).

bhaagensen
2008-03-22, 08:20
The Controller is wifi only, no IR, no bluetooth.

Small addition. The Controller does have IR also, but it is currently not used for much. You can control some of the other producty such as the SB3. the reciever does not have IR anyway.

james e
2008-03-22, 09:22
So the controller uses wifi to control the basestation but you can have the basestation hooked up via ethernet and it will still work?
I just want to make sure I understand this.

The control of the iTunes playlists is key for me. I just want to be able to access them.

funkstar
2008-03-22, 09:36
So the controller uses wifi to control the basestation but you can have the basestation hooked up via ethernet and it will still work?
I just want to make sure I understand this.
Correct :)

And in more detail:
The Controller sends instructions over the wirless network to the computer running SqueezeCenter (or indeed over the wirless network and onto the internet to SqueezeNetwork), this then sends instructions and the music to the Reciever over the network. Whether the network send this data over wired ethernet or wirless makes no difference to the Controller or SqueezeCenter :)