PDA

View Full Version : How to use MusicIP with Duet controller?

jonstatt
2008-03-21, 14:58
I must be missing something very obvious....

I know I have set-up MusicIP okay because on the SqueezeCenter on the PC browser I see an M next to all my music, and if I click it, it creates a mix for me.

However, I cannot see any M on the Duet Controller screen, and holding play does nothing. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Jonathan

jonstatt
2008-03-22, 05:48
Well...I was expecting a quick response from someone saying how silly I was for missing how to use this feature...

But then I stumbled across this, in the mail archive. Perhaps Slim didn't achieve their release criteria?

>
> - will it be possible to generate MusicIP playlists using the
> Squeezebox Controller? (you can do this by holding down the play button
> on the current IR remote)
>
Launching MusicIP mixes from the SqueezeBox Controller doesn't work in
the current software, but this is something that is planned and
hopefully it will be implemented even before the Controller actually is
available in the stores. If not, I assume it will be implemented soon
after

SumnerBoy
2008-03-22, 20:24
I am awaiting the arrival of my Duet - mainly so I can get hold of a controller as I already have an SB3. I use MusicIP a lot - it is one of the features I love most about the SB3 and SC7.

If this is not accessible from the new controller I will be very disappointed. Can someone confirm if this is true or not? I.e. is someone running SC7.0 + MusicIP with the new controller?

smc2911
2008-03-22, 20:44
I have one and have not worked out any way to get a MusicIP playlist going using the SBC. I have to use the webUI.

SumnerBoy
2008-03-22, 23:05
That is very disappointing. I read that they hope to support this sometime soon via a software update - anyone know anything about it? When it might be available?

smc2911
2008-03-22, 23:11
Vote for this enhancement request: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6561

Target is for SC7.1, although I don't know the date for this. Have a look here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39722) as well.

SumnerBoy
2008-03-22, 23:22
Done - thanks for steering me in the right direction. Guess I will just have to wait for 7.1. Is there a scheduled release date for this?

jonstatt
2008-03-24, 04:17
Thanks for the pointers.

Its a P4....and despite the community telling them otherwise, Slim seem to have dug their heels in on this. Lets hope a few more votes change their mind.

Zevs
2008-03-24, 06:04
Vote for this enhancement request: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6561

Target is for SC7.1, although I don't know the date for this. Have a look here (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39722) as well.

Thanks for this, I have voted, this is something I would love to have working on the Duet.

Siduhe
2008-03-24, 10:43
Jon/Zevs,

As one of the people who originally made the bug request for MIP support with the SBC, here's a bit more background and a temporary workaround.

MIP support was originally targetted for Squeezecenter 7.0 - that's when it got the P4 (lowish) priority. However, there just wasn't time to do everything requested, so it got moved to 7.0.1. However, it isn't really a bug, but an enhancement request - 7.0.1 is supposed to be about small, safe bug fixes.

As for when 7.1 will be started - the (not especially helpful answer) is when enough of the bugs targetted for 7.0.1 are fixed. Now that MIP support has been moved to 7.1, I'd very much like the priority to be upped from P4 as I think it's a pretty glaring omission.

As for why MIP isn't a higher priority - I'm not really sure - but a lot less people use it than Itunes for example. So, please vote for the bug if you haven't already to give it maximum visibility.

Now for the workaround - install the Retro Browser applet (search the wiki) onto the SB controller. It gives you the old style SB menu on the Controller and you can press and hold to initiate a MusicIP mix from there via the Controller.

HTH

jonstatt
2008-03-24, 11:59
Jon/Zevs,

As one of the people who originally made the bug request for MIP support with the SBC, here's a bit more background and a temporary workaround.

MIP support was originally targetted for Squeezecenter 7.0 - that's when it got the P4 (lowish) priority. However, there just wasn't time to do everything requested, so it got moved to 7.0.1. However, it isn't really a bug, but an enhancement request - 7.0.1 is supposed to be about small, safe bug fixes.

As for when 7.1 will be started - the (not especially helpful answer) is when enough of the bugs targetted for 7.0.1 are fixed. Now that MIP support has been moved to 7.1, I'd very much like the priority to be upped from P4 as I think it's a pretty glaring omission.

As for why MIP isn't a higher priority - I'm not really sure - but a lot less people use it than Itunes for example. So, please vote for the bug if you haven't already to give it maximum visibility.

Now for the workaround - install the Retro Browser applet (search the wiki) onto the SB controller. It gives you the old style SB menu on the Controller and you can press and hold to initiate a MusicIP mix from there via the Controller.

HTH

Thanks for the history. That makes a lot of sense and I really do hope the priority gets raised (I have voted)...Thank you for the workaround too! I will try it out.

Rick B.
2008-03-24, 13:39
I'll be voting for the bug - and I won't be buying a Controller until it's fixed. Thanks.

SumnerBoy
2008-03-24, 14:57
I have already pre-ordered my Duet - mainly for the controller as I already have the SB3 - but I would have definitely waited had I known about this omission. It is definitely one of the best things I like about the whole system - being able to create playlists based on a particular song. It allows me to listen to music I haven't played recently without having to troll through my collection. I just hope I don't have to wait too long.