PDA

View Full Version : My Squeezebox 2 is dead :(

drtebi
2008-03-21, 04:09
My Squeezebox 2 died recently. It all happend very fast, first there seemed to be some kind of error, I restarted, and it came back up. But shortly after something went wrong again, and another restart never brought it back to life.

I get simply nothing. No display, no startup screen. I have read a couple posts here that suggested to remove the wireless card as a solution. I tried that, but had no luck. I also tried another power supply, again no luck.

Has anybody gone through this and has a suggestion on how I could fix it, or would like to share their grief with me?

I just bought a nice classic Radio that I wanted to use to do a hardware mod, as in transplanting the SB, replacing the original FM/AM display with the SBs... :(

aubuti
2008-03-21, 04:13
Sorry to hear about that. If you want to revive it, check with customer support at Slim Devices. I believe they will repair most out-of-warranty SBs for a flat US$90 fee.

drtebi
2008-03-21, 04:31
Thanks for the info, sounds good, and better than buying a new one. I could even drive to their office...

BTW, what is the major difference between the SB2 and SB3?

Sike
2008-03-21, 04:35
The SB3 has a nicer display and can do a couple more things (Like bridging the LAn interface...) There is an article in the Wiki on the hardware differences.

I had the same error once with a SB2. I opened it up and removed the wireless card and everything worked again (Without wireless..) It does not take long to open, and if you don't have any warranty anyway...

drtebi
2008-03-21, 04:43
Yes I read about taking out the wireless card, and I have already tried that. It was indeed easy to do, but it did not work out, still no display.

Maybe it's just the display? How could I check if the unit is working, if the display is blank?

ceejay
2008-03-21, 04:55
The SB3 has a nicer display and can do a couple more things (Like bridging the LAn interface...)

Not quite right - the SB2 and SB3 are pretty much identical functionally, the SB2 can for example also do the bridging trick. The display is also much the same - AFAIK its just a slightly different shade of filter which you may or may not prefer.

HTH

Fifer
2008-03-21, 05:40
Yes I read about taking out the wireless card, and I have already tried that. It was indeed easy to do, but it did not work out, still no display.

Maybe it's just the display? How could I check if the unit is working, if the display is blank?

Use the web UI to play music.

drtebi
2008-03-21, 13:09
Thanks aubuti, I will try that. I suppose if the SqueezeBox doesn't show up in the web UI, then things are looking really bad...

Anoop M.
2008-03-21, 13:26
Contact Support and let them know that you can bring it by.

They should be able to give you an RMA # and then you can just walk in with your unit and that RMA #.

Keep in mind that they will not fix your SB2 on the spot. But it should not take them too long.