PDA

View Full Version : Artists listed in wrong order

cyberelk11
2008-03-20, 13:25
Hi,

I've just installed SqueezeCenter 7.0 on Linux (Fedora 8, x86_64), and I'm having problem with the order that artists are listed in.

The sorting seems to be "mostly right" but has some really wacky things wrong, especially near the beginning. Here is how the list starts (the 'A's don't even begin until the 9th item):

Flanagan
Jon Bon Jovi
Lisa Stansfield
Meat Loaf
Backstreet Boys
Dream
Hearsay
Toni Braxton
A Fine Frenzy
A-ha
A Man Called Adam
A1
ABBA
Abc
Paula Abdul
Ace of Base
Bryan Adams
Adrian Gurvitz
Africando
Madonna
Air
Akon
The Alice Band
Alisha's Attic
Alison Krauss & Union Station
etc.

The general trend is alphabetical, but there seems to be more or less random sorting for some items.

The files are mostly in Ogg Vorbis format, and SlimServer 6.5 worked a lot better, although it would sometimes sort artists by last name and this didn't seem to be predictable.

Is anyone else seeing this? How can I debug it?

Tim.
*/

snarlydwarf
2008-03-20, 13:38
One of two things:

1) What version of MySql are you using? Some versions have sorting problems.

2) Are you sure you do not have ARTISTSORT tags?

A Man Called Adam
A1
ABBA
Abc
Paula Abdul
Ace of Base
Bryan Adams
Adrian Gurvitz
Africando

That looks suspiciously like you have a track with Paula Abdul and an ARTISTSORT tag on it of 'Abdul, Paula' as well as a Bryan Adams track with 'Adams, Bryan' for ARTISTSORT.

ceejay
2008-03-20, 13:40
This may be related to a bug in MySQL about sorting - there are several threads on this here, I think. I believe it is specific to a particular range of MySQL versions.

The other possibility is that you have some screwed up ARTISTSORT tags, but my money is on the first one...

HTH

cyberelk11
2008-03-21, 08:27
Oh, brilliant, it was some messed up tags, actually 'musicbrainz_sortname' tags. It only seemed to affect some older tracks so I think it was a bug (in Fedora) from ages ago, now fixed.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!