PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter slow?

klezmer41
2008-03-20, 09:22
I installed SqueezeCenter on my PC just to give it a whirl, before I decide on Sonos or Slim. When I click on an album to start, it's a good 20 seconds before it actually starts playing. Is that normal?

Phil Leigh
2008-03-20, 10:57
I installed SqueezeCenter on my PC just to give it a whirl, before I decide on Sonos or Slim. When I click on an album to start, it's a good 20 seconds before it actually starts playing. Is that normal?

No. On my system it takes 1 second...if the disk is spun-up. If the disk is asleep it takes 7 seconds for the first access to that sleeping disk.

klezmer41
2008-03-20, 11:20
This is all on my PC though. SqueezeCenter is accessing music on the same computer, and it takes forever. Maybe the webapp is optimized for Internet Explorer? I haven't tried it on anything other than Firefox.

ds2021
2008-03-20, 11:25
I use it mainly with Firefox. Same instant response. There must be something about your system that is causing the problem. Perhaps you might describe your setup.

Are you using SoftSqueeze or stream.mp3?

klezmer41
2008-03-20, 11:27
I use it mainly with Firefox. Same instant response. There must be something about your system that is causing the problem. Perhaps you might describe your setup.

Are you using SoftSqueeze or stream.mp3?

It's an Athlon XP 3200+ which is a single core 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM I believe. The music is sitting on the internal 7200RPM drive, and I just installed SqueezeCenter 7.0. To listen to the music I'm using Winamp. In general it's a very snappy computer, no slowdowns really and it feels faster than the Mac Core 2 Duo I use for work.

Phil Leigh
2008-03-20, 11:28
This is all on my PC though. SqueezeCenter is accessing music on the same computer, and it takes forever. Maybe the webapp is optimized for Internet Explorer? I haven't tried it on anything other than Firefox.

Same times for me on Firefox...sounds like your system is particularly unresponsive for some reason, Pretty sure that can be fixed.

Phil Leigh
2008-03-20, 11:29
Could be the fact that you are using Winamp?

ds2021
2008-03-20, 11:31
It's an Athlon XP 3200+ which is a single core 2.0GHz. 2GB RAM I believe. The music is sitting on the internal 7200RPM drive, and I just installed SqueezeCenter 7.0. To listen to the music I'm using Winamp. In general it's a very snappy computer, no slowdowns really and it feels faster than the Mac Core 2 Duo I use for work.

The stream.mp3 approach (i.e., through winamp) is not fast. You should install SoftSqueeze (see Extras in the SC7 interface) for a more representative demonstration on how a hardware box would perform.

bigfool1956
2008-03-20, 11:45
You could also try checking to make sure that Windows hasn't smacked down your hard-drive into PIO mode. If it has it wastes CPU cycles reading files (i.e. your music) which it could be using for applications.

Only takes a minute to check it out. See this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44696

aubuti
2008-03-20, 12:34
The stream.mp3 approach (i.e., through winamp) is not fast. You should install SoftSqueeze (see Extras in the SC7 interface) for a more representative demonstration on how a hardware box would perform.
Agreed 100%. The speed issue is one thing, but more importantly, the stream.mp3 approach is incredibly limited, and doesn't give you any sense whatsoever of the functionality of a Squeezebox. If I had done my pre-purchase testing on winamp I never would have bought an SB. Now I have 5 of them.

klezmer41
2008-03-20, 23:36
Thanks for the tip about the SoftSqueeze, it's much better. I really don't like SqueezeCenter software though, it's so clunky. Right now I'm leaning towards iTunes and AirTunes. I can use iTunes from a Mac or PC to control the stereo, and if I want I can get an iPod Touch or iPhone or install software on a Windows handheld to control it. Most of the time I'd probably prefer to use a PC though. I have a LOT of music and I'm having a difficult time navigating it via SqueezeCenter.

aubuti
2008-03-21, 04:11
Thanks for the tip about the SoftSqueeze, it's much better. I really don't like SqueezeCenter software though, it's so clunky. Right now I'm leaning towards iTunes and AirTunes. I can use iTunes from a Mac or PC to control the stereo, and if I want I can get an iPod Touch or iPhone or install software on a Windows handheld to control it. Most of the time I'd probably prefer to use a PC though. I have a LOT of music and I'm having a difficult time navigating it via SqueezeCenter.
In my view, the preferred interface for SC7 is the remote, either the old style infrared remote on the original Squeezebox models, or the new SB Controller on either the old models or a new receiver. Navigating with the remotes is really quite easy. When you're trying out Softsqueeze, try using the simulated remote to control your music, and *pretend* that you're not sitting at your pc, but on your sofa or easy chair or patio. It's a major advantage if you don't want to either (a) have a pc always on in your listening room(s), or (b) have to run to another room to change tracks, etc. Of course, if you're happy with a pc in the listening room or don't mind the running around, that advantage of the Squeezebox doesn't amount to much.

ds2021
2008-03-21, 05:55
There are actually nice remote control solutions for the itunes/airtunes approach as well, such as Signal from Alloysoft (which does rely on an iPhone or iPod Touch). I have never found iTunes to be a great media management (I'll use this term for the ability to organize and locate music) application however.

If tags are well organized, SqueezeCenter is actually quite good at media management. Also, although my tags are well organized, I rely heavily on browsing via a hierarchical folder structure to best locate music. Although finding music via the computer (i.e., through Squeezecenter or iTunes) is an easy way to navigate large collections, I am not sure that it is something that you want to rely on when with guests at dinner for example. In such a situation, being able to have full control of your music (including multiple zones) directly (or via the new Controller) is a necessity. The SB provides an advantage here I believe, as you have so many options for control (IR, wi-fi devices, SBC, in addition to SC7).

Finally, I believe that there are many who would argue that the sound quality of the SB series is better than Airtunes. I have not tried the latter so I am not sure.

klezmer41
2008-03-26, 11:01
Is it a possibility to use iTunes to browse and navigate a SqueezeCenter hierarchy, and then the controls in iTunes interact with a SqueezeBox? I started playing with iTunes and it's my favorite navigator/player so far. I'd also like a remote though, so the SqueezeBox or iPod would work.

th00ht
2008-03-26, 17:14
You installed SqueezeCenter on your PC and clicked where exactly to start an album? (in your favourite browser, Winamp, Windows Media Player, Itunes, RealAudio, your Ipod)?

klezmer41
2008-03-26, 17:17
You installed SqueezeCenter on your PC and clicked where exactly to start an album? (in your favourite browser, Winamp, Windows Media Player, Itunes, RealAudio, your Ipod)?

I used the SqueezeCenter webapp, but I'd like to use iTunes if possible. I know iTunes clients can see daap and Firefly.

th00ht
2008-03-26, 17:29
I used the SqueezeCenter webapp, but I'd like to use iTunes if possible. I know iTunes clients can see daap and Firefly.

Ok, so why did you install SqueezeCenter? <puzzled>

antonw
2008-04-15, 00:06
>>I used the SqueezeCenter webapp, but I'd like to use iTunes if possible. I know iTunes clients can see daap and Firefly.

I'm on the exactly same boat. I love squeezecenter, I have installed it on my media center, it works perfectly with my Roku Soundbridge (I had connection problems using Firefly). I can play music on my MCE/Stereo using the webui (and softsqueeze also running on my MCE). BUT sometimes I just want to listen to music on my laptop and I miss some kind of rich client where I can easily search and play songs. I find it a hassle to startup a local softsqueeze/iTunes stream everytime, select it and send songs to it. One thing I really loved about Firefly is that is able to serve an iTunes shared library which I could browse easily. Also I could live with just using the squeezecenter webui if it had the possibilty to play songs directly from the webui (like .mp3 attachements in gmail).

monroeja
2008-07-19, 20:33
I just upgraded to SqueezeCenter today and it's painfully slow for me as well. Mine is on an Ubuntu server though (Hefty Heron). It's running on a 1.92ghz AMD with over a gig of memory which I would have thought would be sufficient. If anyone has any ideas on how I can improve performance I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Nonreality
2008-07-20, 02:53
Running my SB3 with the remote is much faster than the web interface most of the time. There are times when the GUI suddenly is very fast but most of the time it's not. But using the remote is easy and fast. I also like to use the Moose interface as it's set up rather nice and it's usually very fast.

erland
2008-07-20, 03:07
I just upgraded to SqueezeCenter today and it's painfully slow for me as well. Mine is on an Ubuntu server though (Hefty Heron). It's running on a 1.92ghz AMD with over a gig of memory which I would have thought would be sufficient. If anyone has any ideas on how I can improve performance I'd really appreciate it.

You might want to try if the other skins are faster, the Classic skin runs faster than the Default skin on my Ubuntu machine. I'm running SqueezeCenter on a separate machine and the web interface on a laptop also running Ubuntu.

monroeja
2008-07-22, 21:58
The classic skin did speed it up a midget. Thanks!