PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get SB3 to "pass through" 24 /96 digital?

milosz
2008-03-19, 11:55
The digital out of my SB3 is connected to my outboard DAC.

Is there a way to get 24-bit / 96 kHz digital audio stream to the SB3's digital output?

I know the SB3 DAC can't handle 96 kHz, but my outboard DAC can.

Anybody know if / how this can be done?

Pale Blue Ego
2008-03-19, 12:21
SB3 can usually handle 24-bit/96kHz, by throwing out every other sample, but it tends to stress either the CPU or the bandwidth. The best way is to convert the file to 24-bit/48kHz FLAC. SB3 can handle this with no problems.

milosz
2008-03-19, 23:38
Isn't this just when using the DAC in the SB3? I don't see how it could "throw out every other sample" for data sent to the DIGITAL OUTPUT - there's no DAC, no CODEC involved.....

Zaragon
2008-03-20, 01:53
The easiest way to find out would be to just try it. Encode a file to 96KHz and play it.

It is bit transparent for DTS encoding (at full volume) but I don't recall the sampling rate. So it can pass some files through un-madified.

milosz
2008-03-20, 02:59
I tried some 24 /96 WAV and FLAC files. The SB3 sent them to my outboard DAC at 48 KHz, not sure of the bit depth.

Seems a bit daft for the SB3 to resample prior to sending to SPDIF. Why not just pass along the bitstream as received? Seems like it's extra work for the processor in the SB3 to resample the stream rather than just present it to the SPDIF. Could be the engineers wanted it this way so that the DAC would never be confronted by 24/96 coming at it. So, seems like there should be a way (firmware probably) to optionally just disable the DAC and then pass all lossless streams along in their native bitdepth / sample rate.

But oh well.

adamslim
2008-03-20, 04:26
Seems a bit daft for the SB3 to resample prior to sending to SPDIF. Why not just pass along the bitstream as received? Seems like it's extra work for the processor in the SB3 to resample the stream rather than just present it to the SPDIF.

It's not resampling - it's just ignoring every other sample. Not great for the sound. You're better off resampling with dither (Foobar does this well) to 48kHz and using that.

The 48kHz restriction is not due to the DAC - the PCM1748 can do 24/96 - so it must be somewhere else and ain't gonna go away.

As Mr Adams has said on numerous threads, "the SB3 doesn't do 24/96." Don't expect it to!

Phil Leigh
2008-03-20, 11:03
I suppose you are going to tell me you can hear a difference between 48/24 and 96/24? ;o)

milosz
2008-03-20, 15:43
I don't know if I can hear the difference or not. I'd like to try it to see if I can.

adrianr
2008-03-22, 12:45
I'd also really like to be able to try this, with my SBR (when it is delivered:-)). If there wasn't some benefit to this, it would be strange that the Transporter supports 24/96, and that Linn record and sell music files of this quality! If you wish to play them without losing data (even if many cannot hear the difference), a direct pass-through to an external DAC will be the only option.

I guess we'll just have to wait a few years for yet another gadget upgrade!