PDA

View Full Version : Music File Format/Tagging - Newbie



Russell
2008-03-19, 03:47
Hi

Not exactly a Newbie but having had CHKDSK delete all my music, yes I had a
backup drive, I feel like one.

Two, probably asked a million times, questions:

1) With hard drives costing peanuts, is there any reason not to store the
music as WAV files, rather than spending time convertig them to FLAC? Or is
there some tagging issue with WAV files?

2) I tend to listen to Classical quite a bit and the composer is important
to me. Does tagging the files as Composer, Artist/Performer, Album Title,
Track Title, etc. make sense?

Thanks a million.

Russ

funkstar
2008-03-19, 04:00
WAV files don't do tagging. There is a way to fake it using RIF WAV headers, but it is non-standard and there is only limited support (it was included in SqueezeCenter to support old Audiotron users).

It also means that unless you transcode WAV to FLAC on the server while playing yu will get half the duration of music in the internal buffer and take twice the network bandwidth to get it there. This will probably tripple, or quadruple the chances of getting network dropouts in a wireless setup :)

Transcoding also has it's problems, more load on the server, lack of fast forward and rewind etc.

As for the classical tagging I havn't got a clue, there are others that should be able to help with that.

Russell
2008-03-19, 04:08
funkstar

That you for that.

Just wondering, less work, but need the tags.

Russ


----- Original Message -----
From: "funkstar" <funkstar.36inuc1205924702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: [slim] Music File Format/Tagging - Newbie


>
> WAV files don't do tagging. There is a way to fake it using RIF WAV
> headers, but it is non-standard and there is only limited support (it
> was included in SqueezeCenter to support old Audiotron users).
>
> It also means that unless you transcode WAV to FLAC on the server while
> playing yu will get half the duration of music in the internal buffer
> and take twice the network bandwidth to get it there. This will
> probably tripple, or quadruple the chances of getting network dropouts
> in a wireless setup :)
>
> Transcoding also has it's problems, more load on the server, lack of
> fast forward and rewind etc.
>
> As for the classical tagging I havn't got a clue, there are others that
> should be able to help with that.
>
>
> --
> funkstar
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> funkstar's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2335
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44988
>
>

smc2911
2008-03-19, 04:09
For more on tagging classical music, have a look here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43851

Russell
2008-03-19, 19:08
Many thanks.

Something to read at break tomorrow.

Russ
----- Original Message -----
From: "smc2911" <smc2911.36io2n1205925001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:09 AM
Subject: Re: [slim] Music File Format/Tagging - Newbie


>
> For more on tagging classical music, have a look here:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=43851
>
>
> --
> smc2911
>
> http://www.last.fm/user/smc2911/
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> smc2911's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=4388
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44988
>
>

Zaragon
2008-03-20, 02:49
Converting to Flac needn't be particularly onerous. If you are ripping from CD doing the Flac encode at that point may only add seconds to the rip process if you set up the ripper to do it for you.

Transcoding already existing WAV files, I believe that a number of tools will batch up files so you could just set it going at night and come back the next morning with about 30-50 percent more disk space.

Disks might be, relatively, cheap and RAID/Backups are good but the more disks you have the more complicated things become.

In my opinion storing as Flac rather than WAV has advantages, tagging, size, in-built error checking, and preferred.

ceejay
2008-03-20, 03:51
WAV files don't do tagging. There is a way to fake it using RIF WAV headers, but it is non-standard and there is only limited support (it was included in SqueezeCenter to support old Audiotron users).

It also means that unless you transcode WAV to FLAC on the server while playing yu will get half the duration of music in the internal buffer and take twice the network bandwidth to get it there. This will probably tripple, or quadruple the chances of getting network dropouts in a wireless setup :)

Transcoding also has it's problems, more load on the server, lack of fast forward and rewind etc.

As for the classical tagging I havn't got a clue, there are others that should be able to help with that.

Also try the wiki: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide