PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter won't find my apple lossless (.m4a) files

Alistair72
2008-03-18, 14:00
Hi Folks,

Just bought an SB3, downloaded latest software (v7) set up, found network pointed at my iTunes folders (I am on a mac mini, OSX 10.4.11, 750Gb external iomega drive). SB3 works great sounds good though the hifi. All running smoothly you would think...

But no! The Squeezecenter won't find (or see) any Apple Lossless files (.m4a).

I have scoured the net and can only find tales of how easy it was and how few issues people have had.

It has found all my .mp3s (in the same iTunes folder), but the bulk of my stuff is Apple Lossless so I am a bit peed off at not having it.

Does anyone have any clues? I can't see what it is I should do.

Cheers in advance,

Al

Siduhe
2008-03-18, 14:26
Assuming these files are DRM free, I think you have to configure an external decoder like faad or alac for your set up? I know this is an issue on Linux, but not sure if there is a similar issue on OSX (I'm not a Mac user).

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AppleLosslessUnix

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=41249&highlight=m4a+mac

Alistair72
2008-03-18, 15:04
Thanks for the prompt response.

I had already tried the thing in wiki link for mac (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AAC), but it appears that was already in place.

As for your second suggestion, I'm not sure where to start with the code stuff.

No one in the hifi magazines and sites mention anything about the Apple Lossless stuff requiring this level of hassle - its just plug and play, I do hope they aren't glossing over the truth ;)

moley6knipe
2008-03-19, 07:11
I had already tried the thing in wiki link for mac (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?AAC), but it appears that was already in place.

That link appears to be for transcoding AAC to mp3, which is not what you want, I presume?

A few things to check (I'll do the best I can but I'm a PC user!!)...

1 How is SC7 finding your music files? If you've told SC7 to "use iTunes" (SC7 web menu: Settings/iTunes), are your Lossless files viewable and playable in iTunes? Are they checked or unchecked? By default SC7 doesn't play unchecked songs but you can change this behaviour on that page

2 Do you have multiple iTunes libraries on your Mac? If so, SC7 will find the default one (wherever that is on a Mac). If the library you want SC7 to use lives anywhere other than default, you'll need to tell SC7 where this library is (Settings/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml Location) - full path, filename and extension

3 Quicktime up to date on your Mac?

4 Have you got an ALAC.exe and mov123.exe file in wherever your SC7 program files are installed? On a PC that's Program Files\Squeezecenter\server\bin etc

5 Settings/Advanced/File Types - Set the Apple Lossless >FLAC line's drop-down to alac/flac, and set the drop-downs for mp3 and wav to "Disabled". Similarly, set the Apple AAC or Movie File dropdowns to AIFF>Disabled FLAC>mov123/FLAC mp3>Disabled. All of these settings mean mpeg4 files will stream to your SB3/Transporter as FLAC, which is better for saving bandwidth than AIFF or wav with no reduction in sound quality

6 Anything in the "Disabled Audio File Extensions" box on the same page? If .m4a is in there, that would stop SC7 finding most mpeg4 file-types

Hope some of that helps?

Alistair72
2008-03-20, 13:31
That link appears to be for transcoding AAC to mp3, which is not what you want, I presume?

You are right, I looked into it after I did it and realised.

A few things to check (I'll do the best I can but I'm a PC user!!)...

1 How is SC7 finding your music files? If you've told SC7 to "use iTunes" (SC7 web menu: Settings/iTunes), are your Lossless files viewable and playable in iTunes? Are they checked or unchecked? By default SC7 doesn't play unchecked songs but you can change this behaviour on that page

It is set up to use ITunes, all is working in iTunes. I initially had it set to ply only checked (I have a few rubbish tracks I don't want on my pod, but I am a purist so couldn't have the album without them there...)

2 Do you have multiple iTunes libraries on your Mac? If so, SC7 will find the default one (wherever that is on a Mac). If the library you want SC7 to use lives anywhere other than default, you'll need to tell SC7 where this library is (Settings/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml Location) - full path, filename and extension

No, it is all in one library, and all set up in the SC7 iTunes Tab.

3 Quicktime up to date on your Mac?

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

4 Have you got an ALAC.exe and mov123.exe file in wherever your SC7 program files are installed? On a PC that's Program Files\Squeezecenter\server\bin etc

No and I don't seem to have anything that resembles them either.

5 Settings/Advanced/File Types - Set the Apple Lossless >FLAC line's drop-down to alac/flac, and set the drop-downs for mp3 and wav to "Disabled". Similarly, set the Apple AAC or Movie File dropdowns to AIFF>Disabled FLAC>mov123/FLAC mp3>Disabled. All of these settings mean mpeg4 files will stream to your SB3/Transporter as FLAC, which is better for saving bandwidth than AIFF or wav with no reduction in sound quality

On apple AAC he AIFF was set to mov123, other than that it was as you suggested

6 Anything in the "Disabled Audio File Extensions" box on the same page? If .m4a is in there, that would stop SC7 finding most mpeg4 file-types

All clear, nothing in the box.

Thanks for your response, the only thing that looks iffy is the absence of alac.exe (not that mac uses .exe) or anything like it.

Any more tips?

Siduhe
2008-03-20, 14:14
I would try contacting support@slimdevices.com - they may have some more ideas.

One more idea - try switching on the debugging log for scanning and Itunes sync and then do a full clear and rescan. Then open up the logfile - does that give you any clue where the error is (is SC seeing the files but discarding them, or does it not even scan them?).

Also, if you turn Itunes back to "play only checked" and then select the m4a files, are they still not seen on a full clear and rescan?

Appreciate it's frustrating, but I've never had a problem that someone here couldn't sort out - even to the extent of writing code or changing plugins. You'll get there.

Edited to say - last thought - bit grandmother sucking eggs, but just double check you have the right .xml file entered into the Itunes Library box in SC. Itunes sometimes creates more than one .xml file and it's easy to put the wrong one in. I think the way most people check is to search for all .xml files, make some changes in Itunes and then see which file timestamp updated.

moley6knipe
2008-03-20, 14:27
Hmmm. Didn't realise about the .exe thing, sorry! I know very little Mac!! That they're missing may be standard behaviour on Mac, afraid I can't clarify that.

I think Sidhue's right; if Sidhue's suggestion doesn't work then maybe contacting Support would be a good next step.

There'll be some weirdness somewhere, it's just unfortunate you've found it. Don't worry, SC7 is very well behaved normally!

Alistair72
2008-03-23, 12:35
Well here is a bizarre thing!

I unchecked the use iTunes tab and re-scanned (clearing all too) - It found everything! I can only assume there is a problem with my .xml file (but it works fine in iTunes.

Stand down folks and cheers for your help,

Al

moley6knipe
2008-03-23, 13:17
Ah, good. That points to a corrupt .xml file. So (I think this is the same on a Mac) - delete the .xml file, open and close iTunes and the .itl iTunes library file will rebuild your .xml file automatically.