PDA

View Full Version : Missing SB!

miklorsmith
2008-03-17, 14:43
This is the next chapter of my ever-morphing problem trying to set a networked laptop as the controller for a remote Windows server.

I was able to get it up and running a while back, but it didn't work when the laptop was off, i.e. using the stock remote. I'm pretty sure the problem is the SB was seeing the laptop as the server instead of the wireless router. I tried going through the networking setup again and now the stock remote works but the laptop doesn't see either of the two players I have.

The main XP computer which has the storage attached works, and sees both players. The laptop is working perfectly, is connected to the internet, and sees the networked directories in the main computer. Further, the laptop sees the players when in SqueezeNetwork, just not SqueezeCenter.

All in all, the network seems to be configured except for this one crucial problem.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I still haven't figured out the other niggles but operational issues take priority.

cjhabs
2008-03-17, 18:52
I was able to get it up and running a while back, but it didn't work when the laptop was off, i.e. using the stock remote. I'm pretty sure the problem is the SB was seeing the laptop as the server instead of the wireless router. I tried going through the networking setup again and now the stock remote works but the laptop doesn't see either of the two players I have.

The IP address of the server in the SB should be the IP address of the laptop.
The gateway IP address should be the address of the router - this is used to find SqueezeNetwork.

Habs

miklorsmith
2008-03-18, 07:40
OK, so the laptop will have to be on in order for the SB to work? It seems like there should be a way to "let" the laptop control the SB if desired, otherwise it will run normally. I don't always want to have to run the laptop.

Thanks again.

schatzy
2008-03-18, 09:29
The main XP computer which has the storage attached works, and sees both players. The laptop is working perfectly, is connected to the internet, and sees the networked directories in the main computer. Further, the laptop sees the players when in SqueezeNetwork, just not SqueezeCenter.

Are you saying that your main XP computer runs SC7 or SS6.5.x.

If you are saying that then the SB's just need to see it and it needs to be on anytime you want to listen to your local music (not SqueezeNetwork).

Then just point your browser of your laptop at http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000/
Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of your main XP machine.

In the event that your main XP machine only has the music attached to it and you are running SC7 or SS6.5.x on the lap top your best bet would be to load SC& onthe main XP machine and leave that running all the time so you can get to your local music from that machine or from your laptop as described above.

Schatzy

JimC
2008-03-18, 11:38
This is the next chapter of my ever-morphing problem trying to set a networked laptop as the controller for a remote Windows server.

All in all, the network seems to be configured except for this one crucial problem.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I still haven't figured out the other niggles but operational issues take priority.

Let me summarize your setup (with some assumptions), to see if I understand your problem correctly:

Main XP system w/ storage, running SqueezeCenter and connected to your home network and the internet. Let's pretend this computer has an IP address of 192.168.1.100. Is this on 24/7, or at least on whenever you want to listem to music?
Two Squeezeboxes connected to your home network. Let's pretend these have IP addresses of 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 (which means they are on the same network segment).
You have a laptop that you would like to use to control the music you're listening to on the Squeezeboxes. It can connect to the same network as the main XP box and the Squeezeboxes. You don't want this computer to act as a server for music--just a controller.

Given this information, here's how I would set up the system:

Connect your Squeezeboxes to SqueezeCenter running on the main XP box (IP address 192.168.1.100). Verify they work correctly with the standard IR remote.

Open a browser on your laptop and enter the following URL (exactly as shown):

http://192.168.1.100:9000

This will open up the SqueezeCenter web ui, served from the main XP system, and will allow you to control both players. Note: You do not need to install SqueezeCenter on this system at all.

If you're using SqueezeCenter 7 (rather than SlimServer 6.5.x), you won't need to switch to SqueezeNetwork any longer as SC can act as a proxy whenever you wish to access SN services.

If this isn't what you wanted (in other words, I misunderstood you), let me know and I'll try to help get you back on track.

-=> Jim

miklorsmith
2008-03-18, 13:45
Wow Jim, you're telepathic. That makes great sense AND it will simplify my setup. It's a two-fer. :)

Of course, I still have to get 'er going. Thanks so much.

miklorsmith
2008-03-18, 20:11
Money! That looks to be working like a champ. Thanks a lot folks. This stuff is brilliant when it works how you envision.