PDA

View Full Version : "Kitchen radio" Squeezebox?

ThomP
2008-03-17, 03:22
I don't know if this is the right forum for a feature request - or rather a hardware request...

I am wondering why I can't find a "complete" Squeezebox; receiver, amplifier and speaker(s) all in one unit.

It doesn't have to be Hi-Fi or even stereo - just a small unit to replace the small DAB/FM radios many of us have in the kitchen, bathroom or other places where separate amplifier and speakers might be overkill.

Am i the only one who would like such a device? I realise it would be more expensive than the Squeezebox Receiver, but since I can buy a FM/DAB radio with built-in WiFi and streaming features at the same price it can't be much more expensive to add the right protocol...

funkstar
2008-03-17, 04:25
You are by no means the only one to want something like this.

Have a search for SqueezeBox BoomBox or something similar, there have been loads of thrads referencing this over the past couple of years.

ModelCitizen
2008-03-17, 04:51
Maybe we should open bets on when Logitech will release one?

MC

smc2911
2008-03-17, 05:07
At least Duet + mini powered speakers is getting pretty close!

subagon
2008-03-17, 14:17
I was thinking of taking a Duet and a pair of powered speakers and putting them up in the ceiling of the kitchen. I haven't been able to find any purpose-built powered ceiling speakers. So far what I looking at are a pair of M-Audio StudioPro 3's and rigging up a pair speaker grills from a set of in-wall speakers.

iSix
2008-03-17, 14:58
Squeezebox3 and AE aego M speakers wall mounted in the kitchen with the sub under the floor units for me here :)

Next plan is ceiling speakers in the bathroom (maybe an in-wall sub too) with a dismantled squeezebox (so the display can be mounted to the glass and the IR received embedded in the tile grout so it still works) behind some one-way glass in the wall so it looks like a mirror with the squeezebox display showing through when it's on :)

SuperQ
2008-03-17, 15:04
Would you want it be stereo? mono? mono with optional stereo separation?

How much would you pay for such a thing?

Would a T-Amp provide enough volume? Would digital volume control be ok?

SB3 or Duet based?

CatBus
2008-03-17, 16:03
You aren't the first or last to request this. I agree it'd be a great addition to the lineup myself. The really tricky thing about any homebrew solution (in my opinion) is the power supply.

If you already have AC power at whatever location you plan to have this thing, it really isn't so bad just to get a small cheap powered speaker and hook them together. I have an SB3 using a Tivoli iPal (mono), which is perfectly adequate for my small noisy acoustically-challenged kitchen. This two-piece setup is probably as simple as you can get for the foreseeable future. I used a simple 5.1 speaker ball-joint mount to put the SB3 up in a corner angled down.

The Squeezeboombox projects also involve DC power options, wireless bridge options with longer antennas, and all sorts of fanciness you probably don't need.

SuperQ
2008-03-17, 17:53
I was thinking a simple design like this:

MDF box with 12v output PSU to a T-Amp or similar small amplifier. Then use a simple 5v regulator to supply a SB3.

Example:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW050.htm

Maybe I'll draft up a mechanical drawing.

MadScientist
2008-03-18, 00:44
I plan to plug one of the new Receivers into a Meridian F80 which should be an outstanding combination (not cheap though).

MS

sand
2008-03-19, 13:45
I have an SB3 and a pair of Audioengine 5's in the kitchen - recommended.

chinaski
2008-03-19, 14:04
I was thinking of going with the audioengine2s in my (small) kitchen. How big is your kitchen?

For this room, I simply want a nice sounding pair of economical speakers that will play my collection. Volume is not a principle consideration for this room. Comments?

MuckleEck
2008-03-19, 14:14
I was thinking of going with the audioengine2s in my (small) kitchen. How big is your kitchen?

For this room, I simply want a nice sounding pair of economical speakers that will play my collection. Volume is not a principle consideration for this room. Comments?

I have the AudioEngine 2s in my kitchen which is about 25 feet by 13 feet, they make plenty of noise when required, more than enough.

I have the pot on the speakers set to about 60% and use the volume control on the SB to do the rest.

jrfuda
2008-03-19, 14:16
I like the idea of an all-in-one unit for the kitchen myself. The downside of a homebrew application is the lack of buttons on the "device" itself.

What would be ideal would be an all-in-one device that is optionally under cabinet mountable, available in kitches-friendly colors (white, stainless or black) and had the duet controller's buttons and scroll wheels, all in a package that'll withstand a little splashing and the use of greasy or otherwise less-than-ideal fingers messing with the controls.

Why? IMHO all kitchen appliances are hands-on, remote control not required and contrary to the way most people operate in their kitchens. Of course, a Duet controller could be added (or you can use one you already have) and a basic IR controller like the SB3 has would be a nice feature for those who do like remote controls in a kitchen appliance, and for non-kitches uses, since this could be a multi-purpose device (kitchen, garage, back yard, the middle of nowhere connected to squeezenetwork). Oh, and for kitchen use it can be plugged into AC, however it will need some sort of battery option for outside use.

ThomP
2008-03-21, 07:11
Would you want it be stereo? mono? mono with optional stereo separation?

Mono is fine -

How much would you pay for such a thing?

Depends on the solution:-) I gues I would pay maybe 20 % more than for a simple receiver if it had just built-in mono amp and speaker (controlled by the Duet). If you add a display, navigation buttons (or remote) and stereo/spdif line output you could add the same percentage to the price of a SB3, but that wouldn't be interesting to me personally.

Would a T-Amp provide enough volume? Would digital volume control be ok?

I don't know t'amp, but I found a link stating something like 6W RMS, which should be enough. Digital volume control would be fine - like I said, it doesn't have to be hifi. My wish is to replace the old deranged "transistor radios" that are scattered around and mostly used for background listening.

SB3 or Duet based?

Yes;-) Again, it depends. Local control would be nice, but if that means the price will be comparable to the SB3, I'd go for Duet. If lower quality components and buttons instead of a remote could lower the price of a SB3 style unit that would be great!

I can see that people have lots of different wishes for this kind of thing (which may be one reason the product isn't there?). Does Logitech allow third-party hardware-players? How much would it cost to add SB-functionality to "any-digital-soundproducing-unit" like a boombox or WI-FI radio - I'm not thinking DIY, but for the manufacturer? I would think that for a wifi radio the cost would be minimal?

Club1820
2008-03-21, 09:01

I have the A2s connected to my PC/Sqzctr Server in my office right off the kitchen. Plenty of sound even from there. And I DO like my volume. Can't beat these speaker or the A5s which I also tried.