PDA

View Full Version : 5 Volt linear ps suggestions

ki4bdx
2008-03-16, 22:44
Anyone know where i can find either an inexpensive kit or an inexpensive pre-built 5 Volt 1.5-2 amp linear power supply in the usa ? I seen quite a few but they were all $200.00 and up which i think is outrageous.

zanash
2008-03-17, 00:03
pm me I show you how to build one .....the problem is the case I had to build mine from wood.

oh yes rough cost will be about $80 for the parts

tyler_durden
2008-03-17, 11:44
Check here:

http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HAR&Category_Code=PWS

TD

ki4bdx
2008-03-17, 11:55
Thanks to both of you guy's.

That herbach place has some really cheap ps's. Tyler have you bought one from them ? If so, which one ?

mudlark
2008-03-17, 15:38
pm me I show you how to build one .....the problem is the case I had to build mine from wood.

oh yes rough cost will be about $80 for the parts

I don't agree, my italian case is splendid.

zanash
2008-03-19, 01:40
I should have said cheap cases ! there are plenty of good expensive ones.....

tyler_durden
2008-03-19, 11:04
That herbach place has some really cheap ps's. Tyler have you bought one from them ? If so, which one ?

I have some surplus Power One supplies from other places. They are very reliable, well-engineered supplies designed and built for industrial equipment- usually better designed/built than consumer equipment. Contrary to what some (mostly people selling expensive power supplies) would have you believe, there is no magic in a 5V regulated power supply.

Some people think that if 2A is enough, 20A is better. This is not true from the standpoint of protecting your SB. If a component in the SB fails and the unit starts drawing more current than normal, a 2A supply will limit the current to 2A and will not likely cause any extra damage. Your SB will still be repairable. A 20A supply will evaporate traces from the PCB in the SB rendering it nearly impossible to repair, and possibly causing a fire in the process. Stick with a supply that is relatively close to the SB requirement of 1.2A.

TD

ki4bdx
2008-03-20, 17:49
Thanks for the info tyler.

Thats a very nice case mudlark !

mudlark
2008-03-21, 06:36
Thanks for the info tyler.

Thats a very nice case mudlark !

www.hifi2000.it/

I think the price is very good, a bit killed by the postage though. The thing comes flat packed. The only criticism I have of the case is that earthing all the metal isn't very easy. I didn't bother, relying on my brilliant construction techniques and attention to detail. I think it is essential that the mains connection is via a fixed IEC socket or similar. This would stop persons or sprogs pulling the live conductor off an internal connection.

Mike.

jdh500
2008-03-24, 05:34
Why not use an appropriate size fuse to protect the SB3 ?

JDH.

I have some surplus Power One supplies from other places. They are very reliable, well-engineered supplies designed and built for industrial equipment- usually better designed/built than consumer equipment. Contrary to what some (mostly people selling expensive power supplies) would have you believe, there is no magic in a 5V regulated power supply.

Some people think that if 2A is enough, 20A is better. This is not true from the standpoint of protecting your SB. If a component in the SB fails and the unit starts drawing more current than normal, a 2A supply will limit the current to 2A and will not likely cause any extra damage. Your SB will still be repairable. A 20A supply will evaporate traces from the PCB in the SB rendering it nearly impossible to repair, and possibly causing a fire in the process. Stick with a supply that is relatively close to the SB requirement of 1.2A.

TD

tyler_durden
2008-03-24, 23:29
Why not use an appropriate size fuse to protect the SB3 ?

Why not use an appropriate sized power supply AND an appropriate sized fuse?

TD

CPC
2008-03-25, 13:24
Check here:

http://www.acopian.com/store/9-(7).aspx?min=1.5&max=5

Phil Leigh
2008-03-25, 13:39
This might just be me, but I can't help feeling people are considering paying way too much to "improve" their PSU's...

tyler_durden
2008-03-25, 19:01
It's not just you.

The problem is that people want to feel some control over their technology, but they don't have the necessary education to do it right, so they change what they think they understand or what they can. For many it is cables and for others it seems to be power supplies.

TD

mudlark
2008-03-25, 20:41
It's not just you.

The problem is that people want to feel some control over their technology, but they don't have the necessary education to do it right, so they change what they think they understand or what they can. For many it is cables and for others it seems to be power supplies.

TD

Guilty on all counts m'lud.

jdh500
2008-03-27, 02:13
If "by appropriate sized PSU" you mean appropriately rated with sufficient margine I agree.

JDH.

Why not use an appropriate sized power supply AND an appropriate sized fuse?

TD

mikeselectricstuff
2008-03-27, 15:55
If "by appropriate sized PSU" you mean appropriately rated with sufficient margine I agree.

JDH.
Wow - I can improve the sound with Margerine..? Well I suppose it isn't as implausible as some of the Hi-Fi Snake-oil out there :-)

mudlark
2008-03-28, 05:09
Guilty on all counts m'lud.

The cost isn't so bad.

E 38.80 or less than 30.00 including postage for a 1GX187.

Mike.