PDA

View Full Version : Configuring a Squeezebox WITHOUT a remote control

hornseaey
2008-03-16, 05:38
In an earlier thread I asked about replacement remote controls and it appears that things may not be as simple as I thought

Obviously I can work it through the web interface but what if I need to reboot the Squeezebox or we have a power cut etc

Is there any way of getting it up and running?

On a similar theme does anyone know of a bottom end universal remote that will work?

haunyack
2008-03-16, 06:05
In an earlier thread I asked about replacement remote controls and it appears that things may not be as simple as I thought

Obviously I can work it through the web interface but what if I need to reboot the Squeezebox or we have a power cut etc

Is there any way of getting it up and running?

On a similar theme does anyone know of a bottom end universal remote that will work?

I think a JVC universal should work.

Zaragon
2008-03-16, 06:44
If the power is simply removed such as trying to reboot or through a power cut then the SB should startup and reconnect using it's current configuration. Provided the server hasn't changed it's IP address it should be OK.

If you need to factory reset then a remote is needed.

hornseaey
2008-03-16, 08:39
Thanks to both of you

Normally after a power off I've had to go through the "right" "right" sequence - however, all the responses were displayed for me

Zaragon
2008-03-16, 08:43
Thanks to both of you

Normally after a power off I've had to go through the "right" "right" sequence - however, all the responses were displayed for me

If you just leave it at that point then it will use the previous settings and reconnect.

peter
2008-03-17, 23:49
Zaragon wrote:
> hornseaey;280384 Wrote:
>
>> Thanks to both of you
>>
>> Normally after a power off I've had to go through the "right" "right"
>> sequence - however, all the responses were displayed for me
>>
>
> If you just leave it at that point then it will use the previous
> settings and reconnect.
>
>

I agree, that that's not very intuitive.
I figured it out eventually though ;)

Regards,
Peter

hornseaey
2008-03-18, 02:23
Thanks. Patience (of course) is a virtue. Currently using my PocketPC instead of a remote - it's just like having a Duet!

bobkoure
2008-03-18, 07:16
If the issue is not having a remote as opposed to the unit somehow being unable to receive IR signals:

If you know anyone who owns a Pronto (any vintage), you could download the Pronto CCF (available somewhere here in the SlimDevices resources and at remotecentral.com) perhaps you could prevail on that person to load the CCF and then you could use that to program codes into a "learning" remote control.

Also - I notice that, in SqueezeCenter settings/players/remote, there's a checkbox labeled "jvc_dvd". That would seem to indicate that you could get one of those preprogrammed remotes - so long as it had a way to support JVC DVDs (typically you set these remotes to your particular device by first entering setup mode and then entering the "code number" of your device - which you have to lookup in a booklet that comes with the remote).

Lauri
2008-03-18, 12:48
Not sure if I should create a new thread or add here, but...

I just got a new Squeezebox without a remote (long story) and it has never been setup with the network. It boots up and says "searching for wireless network" and then it goes to sleep. I have it wired to the router with an ethernet cable so I thought it might find that network by itself. I am totally clueless as I have never used one before. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lauri

JJZolx
2008-03-18, 12:51
Not sure if I should create a new thread or add here, but...

I just got a new Squeezebox without a remote (long story) and it has never been setup with the network. It boots up and says "searching for wireless network" and then it goes to sleep. I have it wired to the router with an ethernet cable so I thought it might find that network by itself. I am totally clueless as I have never used one before. Any suggestions?

It's configured to use wireless and won't fall back to wired on its own without either changing it in the internal configuration or doing a factory settings reset. You need a remote.