PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle KPC availability, $199

syburgh
2008-03-15, 07:04
Preconfigured (USD $199) from Newegg on 17 March 2008 (SKU #56101065), customized (e.g. with Core2 Duo) direct from Shuttle on 11 April (USD $299):

http://us.shuttle.com/KPC/buy.html

Probably an easier solution to set up than DIY D201GLY2 based systems (faster CPU, 2nd DIMM slot, case included). Interesting price point compared with the less powerful Norco DS-520G (http://www.norcotek.com/DS-520.php) (USD $599 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859320001), supports more drives).

ScAndal
2008-03-18, 10:04
This looks interesting, but it doesn't appear to be available?

ScAndal

Sam Lowry
2008-03-18, 11:25
I'm curious how quiet these things are.

ScAndal
2008-04-13, 17:13
I ordered mine and it should arrive Wednesday.

I'll keep everyone posted.

I'm putting a Celeron D 440 in it with 512mb of ram

ScAndal

gv2755
2008-04-20, 08:43
I'm curious how quiet these things are.

I have built at a half-dozen Shuttle XPC boxes, and I don't find them all that quiet for media use. They are definitely quieter than most full size boxes with an old-style standard ps, but I've not been all that satisfied. They have a variable fan which is pretty noticeable when the CPU steps on the gas.

ScAndal
2008-04-20, 11:04
Well I received my KPC from Newegg and had it configured with Ubuntu server and Squeezecenter in about an hour.

The thing is indeed quiet and VERY small.

I haven't tried the power usage yet, but I imagine it's low.

I have a 7200 rpm drive in it now, but plan on swapping it out with a 5400 when I get my hands on one.

The celeron is blazing fast on ubuntu server.

ScAndal.

atlslim
2008-04-20, 13:54
Well I received my KPC from Newegg and had it configured with Ubuntu server and Squeezecenter in about an hour.

The thing is indeed quiet and VERY small.

I haven't tried the power usage yet, but I imagine it's low.

I have a 7200 rpm drive in it now, but plan on swapping it out with a 5400 when I get my hands on one.

The celeron is blazing fast on ubuntu server.

ScAndal.

Did your system come w/ Foresight Linux as the OS? If so, could you share how you switched over to Ubuntu? I don't see a bootable CD/DVD drive in the specs.

Thanks

ScAndal
2008-04-20, 14:22
No I bought the barebones which only comes with case/motherboard/powersupply for $99.00.

I just plugged in a extra cdrom drive that I had to the ide slot and installed it with the case open.

I loaded ubuntu on it and it recognized everything without any driver issues.

a couple of command line steps later I was running squeezecenter.

ScAndal

dsendecki
2008-04-20, 19:06
When you have put it though its paces let us know about power draw and fan noise!

signor_rossi
2008-04-21, 00:43
When you have put it though its paces let us know about power draw and fan noise!

Yes, please do. I see now that they are available in Europe too at 100€ (the barebone).

Bye, signor_rossi.

ik632
2008-04-22, 13:28
So, it's a regular bare bones where you need to add RAM, processor, and hard disk and you are up and running right? This looks like a great solution. I just configured one on NewEgg for $270 with 2gb ram, 500gb WD HDD, and Celeron D 315 (2.26ghz).

Honva
2008-04-23, 17:09
Shuttle quoted 33w on their site but did not mention if the number is with CPU and regular hard drive or not.

It would be great if someone could post comments on power consumption and noise level. Also, does this motherboard support undervolting?

I just spotted a computer store in Toronto selling it at Cdn$121. I am really interested in getting one. Adding a low cost Celeron E1200 would make it a good SqueezeCentre server and file server. If the noise level is low enough, it could also itself act as a Squeeze Receiver for a room by running softsqueeze.

joncooper
2008-04-24, 08:32
From the little information on the web, the PSU is a little noisy, and the cooler isn't as advertised (not the ice genie?) ... but it has generally been received quite well. I'm certainly considering one.

As for the power consumption, I wouldn't expect a Celeron 420 + "Green" Hard disc + other motherboard components + ram to consume much more than 55W when in use. I suppose that power usage would increase if you were to add ram, a PCI card of sorts, a more power hungry hard disk and C2D CPU. Therefore, I am assuming Shuttle have based their quotes on the absolute minimum the case/motherboard will accept (i.e. the above celeron 420, not much ram, small and non power hungry HDD).

Timothy Stockman
2008-04-25, 12:43
I just ordered one from zareason.com for a project at work...

Howard Passman
2008-05-21, 02:10
I have the XPC SD30G2 Plus and I believe it to be as quiet as the Netgear ReadyNAS DUO I replaced. I don't think I'd ever place and device like this on a glass rack and expect it to be quiet enough for certain types of music. A heavier style rack would probably be fine. Really, though, there's no reason to have it anywhere near your audio equipment. Mine is in with my Photoshop machine and I don't even use a monitor or keyboard. Pretty much unless I need to get in to the BIOS, I just use Desktop Remote to deal with it. After it's set up there's almost no reason to access it physically.

So far the XPC has been great. I opted for a P4 processor since I'm using it for only one purpose and would never take advantge of the Dual Processors. I put 2GB RAM and a SATA RAID card in it. So far I have only ripped 400 CD's to it, but it scans my collection in 60 seconds (timed it last night) which I think is great. I just wrote Shuttle to see if they think it would support a third drive relative to cooling (this one has ICE). It's probably silly, but I want the OS and software on the fastest drive I can reasonably get so I can get quick response in SC and so I can defrag and backup the software a little easier. Also. if anything happens to the machine I can load SC on another machine in minutes, pull one of the hard drives with just the music files on it, slide it in to my SATA tower and be back in business in probably less than 10 minutes.

All in all, I heartily recommend the Shuttle products for their funcitonality and price point.

Have fun.

Howard

P.S. Newegg doesn't mention the SD30G2 Plus also has 1 PCI Express and 1 IDE slot

twautele
2008-05-21, 04:19
I have a K45 running Freenas and slimnas.

It draw around 70 watts with 2 Seagate 500 Go HD (ST3500630AS/3.AAE), an Intel E1200 (1,6 GHz) celeron dual core and 1 Go ram stick.

With a lower power Celeron single core you'll be around 50 Watts I think.

The Intel fan is very noisy (only 3 wires fan with no pwm control, the large shuttle fan is pwm controlled and quite good.

Thierry