PDA

View Full Version : Wiki migration help

JimC
2008-03-14, 22:02
We're getting ready to migrate the current wiki from the kwiki platform to mediawiki. We haven't set a date for this transition, but we'd like to do it fairly soon.

We've done a preliminary test export of our current wiki into the mediawiki engine and the formatting/links/etc. are almost completely wrecked. It looks like it will take some volunteers to help us clean up the new wiki before we can "go live" with it.

If you are interested in giving us a hand, please let me know and I will coordinate getting appropriate access for you, as well as provide you with the URL. The work will start sometime next week and we'll go live with it as soon as we have the major issues sorted out and a decent version ready for the public.

Once we start the editing process, the current wiki will be locked for edits so that we don't have a version control issue. Contributions will be accepted, but you'll have to do them in the new wiki.

Also, if anyone has experience in moving Kwiki to MediaWiki, we'd be eternally grateful for any advice you might have. The current export tool left behind bad formatting, broken links, and a general mess so any direction on preventing or reducing that would be much appreciated.

-=> Jim

Zaragon
2008-03-15, 12:39
I don't mind helping out.

Mark Miksis
2008-03-15, 13:23
I'm not sure how much time I'd have to contribute, but I'll give it a try.

This is probably a good time to mention that there are currently quite a few pages with outdated or simply incorrect information, especially now that SC7 is here. If an overall review process is going to take place, this might be good time to also do some triage and identify pages that need to be updated or removed. Maybe pages could be tagged as "possibly outdated" and then a list published looking for volunteers to correct/rewrite them.

I assume that mediawiki has a "watch" capability. Going forward, this would make it a lot easier for users to adopt certain pages and make sure incorrect information doesn't seep back in.

JJZolx
2008-03-15, 15:14
Woohoo. Information in the current Wiki is pretty good - usability is not.

Sign me up.

One small comment - I hope that the layout of the new Wiki won't be as constrained/shoehorned into the Slim Devices site layout, which works very poorly for the Wiki. My main issues with the current layout are

- the huge left-hand nav column wastes a lot of page space
- too small a font makes reading difficult
- lack of line-spacing makes reading _really_ difficult
- the inability to flow to the browser width makes tables difficult to use

JimC
2008-03-15, 15:14
I'm not sure how much time I'd have to contribute, but I'll give it a try.

This is probably a good time to mention that there are currently quite a few pages with outdated or simply incorrect information, especially now that SC7 is here. If an overall review process is going to take place, this might be good time to also do some triage and identify pages that need to be updated or removed. Maybe pages could be tagged as "possibly outdated" and then a list published looking for volunteers to correct/rewrite them.

I assume that mediawiki has a "watch" capability. Going forward, this would make it a lot easier for users to adopt certain pages and make sure incorrect information doesn't seep back in.

I agree. This would be a great time to do clean-up on the wiki and bring it up-to-date. I'll try to do a first pass and mark pages that are really in need of updating.

mediawiki does have a watch feature and it would be great if people became "adoptive parents" of pages and kept them up-to-date.

-=> Jim

Triode
2008-03-15, 15:43
This is probably going to mess up wiki radio in some way... Will the old wiki be kept going for a while until we know what impact it has. (currently we can fetch an html index to get all the ompl attachments to a wiki page which we turn into a player menu)

I actually think some form of lightly moderated radio station list is the best way to maintain details of community submitted radio links. So lets see what the new wiki will do for us...

JimC
2008-03-15, 21:01
This is probably going to mess up wiki radio in some way... Will the old wiki be kept going for a while until we know what impact it has. (currently we can fetch an html index to get all the ompl attachments to a wiki page which we turn into a player menu)

I actually think some form of lightly moderated radio station list is the best way to maintain details of community submitted radio links. So lets see what the new wiki will do for us...

We're planning to keep the old wiki live for a while, just locked as read-only. I think we can keep the wiki radio pages unlocked... I'll double-check that though.

And thanks for the heads up! I hadn't considered the impact to the wiki radio stuff.

-=> Jim

Russell
2008-03-16, 05:54
Hi

Not exactly a Newbie but having had CHKDSK delete all my music, yes I had a
backup drive, I feel like one.

Two, probably asked a million times, questions:

1) With hard drives costing peanuts, is there any reason not to store the
music as WAV files, rather than spending time convertig them to FLAC?

2) I tend to listen to Classical quite a bit and the composer is important
to me. Does tagging the files as Composer, Artist/Performer, Album Title,
Track Title, etc. make sense?

Thanks a million.

Russ

funkstar
2008-03-16, 07:05
I should have some time this coming week, but not the week after. I'm more that happy to convert and review some docments for you.

radish
2008-03-16, 07:07
Hi

Not exactly a Newbie but having had CHKDSK delete all my music, yes I had a
backup drive, I feel like one.

Two, probably asked a million times, questions:

1) With hard drives costing peanuts, is there any reason not to store the
music as WAV files, rather than spending time convertig them to FLAC?

2) I tend to listen to Classical quite a bit and the composer is important
to me. Does tagging the files as Composer, Artist/Performer, Album Title,
Track Title, etc. make sense?

Thanks a million.

Russ

Please post this in the appropriate forum in it's own thread. Thanks.

radish
2008-03-16, 07:07
I'm sure I can do something with the wiki, sign me up.

Siduhe
2008-03-16, 09:46
Count me in too...

Balthazar_B
2008-03-16, 13:24
Just curious as to why the switch from kwiki to mediawiki (the switch in general, as well as to mediawiki as opposed to twiki, Confluence, or other platform). I do know that Confluence has a toolset that purports to ease the process of content migration from other wiki engines, although I haven't examined this capability.

JimC
2008-03-16, 13:31
Just curious as to why the switch from kwiki to mediawiki (the switch in general, as well as to mediawiki as opposed to twiki, Confluence, or other platform). I do know that Confluence has a toolset that purports to ease the process of content migration from other wiki engines, although I haven't examined this capability.

MediaWiki is a very well-supported platform, and it integrates well into the CMS system we will be deploying very soon (Drupal). We felt like it was a solid choice.

-=> Jim

erland
2008-04-11, 16:41
I just noted that the wiki is editable again and it still shows the kwiki based wiki. Does this mean the MediaWiki conversion has been delayed ?

JimC
2008-04-11, 18:23
I just noted that the wiki is editable again and it still shows the kwiki based wiki. Does this mean the MediaWiki conversion has been delayed ?

Unfortunately, yes. The exporter was so mangled that virtually all of the links were lost, making the task of editing the content back to usable a very difficult one.

We're fine-tuning a different tool that we hope will do a better job of migrating the content. Once Brandon's done with this, we'll export to mediawiki and start the cleanup work. No ETA yet (though we hope it is soon).

I know you had a specific request to allow you to migrate your plug-in pages overs, and we're planning to stub a section out for plug-ins with the intent of supporting you (and other developers) in doing that. In fact, maybe we can use your pages as a media wiki template to help develop some consistency in the information and layout.

-=> Jim