PDA

View Full Version : jive album sorting

MrSinatra
2008-03-14, 10:40
sorry if this has been asked / addressed b4...

but the jive lists all your albums in alphabetical order.

thats useless to me, and i would guess most people.

can albums be listed in artist, year, album order? (yes, with the little artwork icon)

if so, how do you tell jive to do it?

cliveb
2008-03-14, 10:55
can albums be listed in artist, year, album order? (yes, with the little artwork icon)

if so, how do you tell jive to do it?
Just set the ALBUMSORT tags suitably and they'll be sorted in whatever order you want.

I personally like my albums listed in artist order, then in chronological release date order, so my ALBUMSORT tags have the format <artistsort><releasedate><letter> (where <letter> is used to order albums that were released in the same year). For example, "The Kick Inside" has ALBUMSORT tag "Bush, Kate 1978A", and "Lionheart" has ALBUMSORT tag "Bush, Kate 1978B".

MrSinatra
2008-03-14, 11:10
i'm not sure i follow you...

i do not have album sort tags in my mp3 tags.

i have thousands of albums, adding non-standard tags to them manually does NOT appeal.

if i can sort like this without said tags on SC7, i am at a loss as to why i can't also do so on the jive?

basically, i am merely trying to replicate the browse artwork, artist, year, album methodology of SC7 on the jive.

is this not possible without tag alterations???

Ben Sandee
2008-03-14, 11:25
>
> i have thousands of albums, adding non-standard tags to them manually
> does NOT appeal.

They aren't non-standard tags.

> if i can sort like this without said tags on SC7, i am at a loss as to
> why i can't also do so on the jive?

It simply hasn't been implemented yet. The Jive interface is more like the
player interface in terms of customizability at the moment -- not the web
interface. My opinion anyway... Of course, some things you can do in the
player interface (remove unused items, etc) can't be done in Jive yet
either.

Ben

ModelCitizen
2008-03-14, 11:39
Maybe you should consider Jive as a WIP? It was developed quite quickly and there are still a few things outstanding.
SlimServer/Squeezecenter took quite a few years to reach the state it has.

Most of the navigational things I think are pretty crucial are due to be addressed in 7.0.1:

* All Albums listings (from say, a Genre)
* Remember where you were last at when you return (i.e. back track)
* Reach the correct track in a Various Artists album when you've navigated from an artist that has one track in that album
* Another one, which I've forgotten.

MC

MrSinatra
2008-03-14, 11:40
excuse my non-exacting use of language, a sin i am often guilty of here.

i actually can't say if the tag is "standard" or not, tag standards in general seem to be a mess and there is seemingly no ultimate authority on them.

however, what i meant was that most people, and most rips via lame or whatever, don't include the tag by default.

i see "albumsort" like "compilation" or other various 'extra' tags... they may be standard via some standards body, but they aren't commonly enacted by default on rips.

i'm not sure if one can enable them by default on a rip, maybe you can configure EAC to do so... but mine doesn't do it.

anyway, my point is i don't want to use tags that aren't automatic via the rip. and i surely don't want to add tags to thousands on albums. i don't want to go thru my whole collection adding tags that SC7 (more or less) doesn't need.

if its just a matter of patience, np, i can wait for jive to do what SC7 does. but adding tags to make jive do what SC7 does? no thanks.

radish
2008-03-14, 12:01
however, what i meant was that most people, and most rips via lame or whatever, don't include the tag by default.

That's because it's optional and based on user preference. How you want albumsort is certainly different than how I want it, so there's no "standard" value, unlike something such as track title.

i see "albumsort" like "compilation" or other various 'extra' tags... they may be standard via some standards body, but they aren't commonly enacted by default on rips.

I'm pretty sure iTunes adds TCMP/COMPILATION to rips, so that one at least is standard for a lot of people.

i'm not sure if one can enable them by default on a rip, maybe you can configure EAC to do so... but mine doesn't do it.

You sure can, EAC lets you add whatever tags you like as the whole FLAC command line is configurable. What's more, you have the tokens you probably need (artist name, album name, year) right there too.

What puzzles me is what you did before SC7? My understanding is that the only way to affect sort order on SS6 was via albumsort tags, so most people who care about such things already have them in their collections. Personally I'm happy with alphabetical.

kdf
2008-03-14, 12:22
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6591

MrSinatra
2008-03-14, 12:30
kdf, how do you see the final implementation in practice?

i think artists is fine as is (by default) which is a simple alphabetical list without artwork.

but albums should be the way dean suggests by default, artist, year, album with little album artwork icons

right? is that how you see it too?

and i would think that various albums would also come up with the track by that artist in such a list.

meaning, if i have 3 willie nelson ablums, and one various artist one he has one track on, i would see all four albums, but only his one track from the various album. yes?

cliveb
2008-03-14, 12:52
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6591
Having just taken a look at this bug, I have to say it seems to me that what's being contemplated is a sop to satisfy users who are (a) dissatisfied with the default album sorting order, and (b) not prepared to add ALBUMSORT tags to achieve what they want. As soon as you start offering some options, other users will start requesting different options. For example, suppose you add an option that sorts albums initially on ARTIST. I might say that's all very well, but I'd rather you also offer the option to sort on ARTISTSORT rather than ARTIST. Others might ask for the first sort key to be DATE. Where will it ever end?

Surely the bottom line here is that the ALBUMSORT tag is there to provide a means for any user to get their albums sorted however they want. No need to rely on the Slim Devices folks to implement album sorting the way you want it: just set up your tags and you have total control.

If you already have a music library without such tags, it's not that difficult to use a tagging program to set them up in a batch operation. I happen to use Foorbar's Masstagger function, but I'm sure there are equivalent facilities in things like MP3tag.

kdf
2008-03-14, 12:58
>
> kdf, how do you see the final implementation in practice?

I have no opinion. It's not my decision and there are too many cooks
already :)

> but albums should be the way dean suggests by default, artist, year,
> album with little album artwork icons

> right? is that how you see it too?

er, did you see the description of the included patch...?
granted, looking at it now that patch looks incomplete, but it is what I
use at home so I'll get around to a corrected patch eventually.

My stance at this point is, it's open source so you can have it any way
you want. I've tweaked mine, and I'm sharing what I've learned on that
bug report. If Logitech wants my help with implementing it further,
they'll ask.

-kdf