PDA

View Full Version : SC7 Migration Issues - Older PC

kblee
2008-03-13, 06:06
I have been enjoying my SB3 for nearly 2 years and have upgraded SS firmware periodically with no issues. I have an older pc (P4 1.8 Ghz / 512 MB ram) with approx. 500 albums on the hard drive.

I decided to migrate to SC7 last night and am starting to regret the decision. After the DL and install, the initial scan began. I had read that this could take awhile, so I went to bed. This morning, the only change that I could detect is that the scan time was at 8 hours and still going. CPU usage was maxed at 100%. I use Firefox as my browser, but navigating was almost impossible.

So - I guess my question is whether it would be better for me to go back to 6.5 or if there are a couple of tweaks that could make SC7 usable for my obviously antiquated setup.

mherger
2008-03-13, 06:27
> and still going. CPU usage was maxed at 100%. I use Firefox as my
> browser, but navigating was almost impossible.

Looking at the task manager: what's eating the CPU? SqueezeCenter or Firefox?

--

Michael

kblee
2008-03-13, 06:48
Looking at the task manager: what's eating the CPU? SqueezeCenter or Firefox?

It looked like the combination of the two and something with "scanner" in the name (which I assumed was the library scan that was underway).

mherger
2008-03-13, 07:03
> It looked like the combination of the two and something with "scanner"
> in the name (which I assumed was the library scan that was underway).

It would really be important to know which of them. I _guess_ it was the scanner. In this case you should try to run the scanner from the command line to see what's going on:

scanner.exe -debug scan=debug x:\path\to\your\music

--

Michael

kblee
2008-03-13, 08:16
Now that I'm thinking about it, there was something that I found "odd" during the set-up. When prompted by the wizard to give the path to my music library, I wasn't able to get all of the way to it. My music library is located in My Music which is a subfolder of the My Documents folder. However, I was unable to drill down on the My Documents folder within the wizard to get to My Music. So - I can only assume that the scanner was scanning my entire My Documents folder. How / where can I edit the path to restrict the scan?

haunyack
2008-03-13, 08:25
where can I edit the path to restrict the scan?

If usiing the "Default" UI, open the browser with SC running, in the lower right corner you should see a link for "Settings".
The default screen that appears will have text boxes for the search path.

kblee
2008-03-13, 17:38
Well - my system miraculously healed itself while I was at work today. I think it was the scan that was truly slowing things down. Now that I've been able to spend some time adjusting a few settings, I can say that SC7 definitely seems faster and more robust than SS. Thanks...