PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Questions on Duet Config

craigf
2008-03-12, 20:09
Yes, I searched, and came up with nada for either of these questions, so I appreciate any and all suggestions:

1) Is there a way I can set the Duet Controller's wallpaper to an image of my own, or am I limited to the default options?

2) We rip our music and sync (copy) it to our Mac for iTunes purposes, but the master files (by artist/album/) are all on a PC. So, using the Embed Artwork script to copy the artwork into the album directories won't work -- each time I sync our master collection to the Mac, it overwrites anything different on the Mac's external drive, which will blow away the extra art files. So, is there a way to get the artwork to show up on the Controller that doesn't involve altering the music directory's contents? Alternately, is there a way to have the Controller not display the musical note icon (where the cover art goes if it's available)?

Much thanks in advance. If we can get these two bits solved, I can honestly say we'll be 100% satisfied with our Duet. :-)

peter
2008-03-13, 01:41
craigf wrote:
> Yes, I searched, and came up with nada for either of these questions, so
> I appreciate any and all suggestions:
>
> 1) Is there a way I can set the Duet Controller's wallpaper to an image
> of my own, or am I limited to the default options?
>

I guess you could try adding some files to
/usr/share/jive/applets/SetupWallpaper/wallpaper on the controller (
connect to it using ssh, copy files using scp ).
Coiuld be more interesting to use a picture of the room the SB is in as
a wallpaper, so it's always obvious which one you're using. I use
different existing ones but it's hard to remember which is which.

Regards,
Peter

Skunk
2008-03-13, 05:56
1) Is there a way I can set the Duet Controller's wallpaper to an image of my own, or am I limited to the default options?

There is a partially finished plugin for this. http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=40399

If you unzip it to your Squeezecenter/server/plugins you'll have a jive folder where you put the properly sized .png, and an xml file that you need to edit to get the name to show up. E.g.:
<wallpaper>
<name>Test 1</name>
<file>test1.png</file>
</wallpaper>

<wallpaper>
<name>My Image</name>
<file>filename.png</file>
</wallpaper>

2) We rip our music and sync (copy) it to our Mac for iTunes purposes, but the master files (by artist/album/) are all on a PC. So, using the Embed Artwork script to copy the artwork into the album directories won't work -- each time I sync our master collection to the Mac, it overwrites anything different on the Mac's external drive, which will blow away the extra art files. So, is there a way to get the artwork to show up on the Controller that doesn't involve altering the music directory's contents? Alternately, is there a way to have the Controller not display the musical note icon (where the cover art goes if it's available)?

This is from the information rollovers in the settings pages at Settings>Advanced>Formatting. I don't keep all the artwork in a single folder, so can't help too much, but it may be an option for you.

Artwork
"Images of album artwork, when available, are displayed when viewing an album or song information. Artwork images are found in the ID3 tags for individual songs or can reside in the same folder as song files. By default, images named "cover.jpg", "albumartsmall.jpg", "folder.jpg", "album.jpg", or "thumb.jpg" are used. You can specify an additional file name to use for album art images. You can specify different file names for thumbnail or full size images. Prefix the option with % and you can follow it with any string made up of the same elements available for Title Formats (eq %ARTIST - ALBUM, will look for Artist - Album.jpg to fit the artist and album information found."

Artwork Folder
"You may choose to store all your artwork in a single folder, using the variable filenames option above. Enter the location of the Artwork files here. Regardless of this location, SqueezeCenter will still look for artwork in the same path as each audio file if no matching artwork is found in the Artwork Folder."

craigf
2008-03-13, 11:13
I appreciate the pointers.

I still think we need a better system for album art on the Squeezebox, but that's certainly not a new insight. ;-)

Triode
2008-04-04, 06:51

The controller itself allows additional wallpaper images to be downloaded to it from SqueezeCentre. The SqueezeCenter part of this is not yet fully developed, the attached is a demo plugin which makes it easier to do than the previous plugin I posted. Note however that it requires the latest 7.0.1 nightly version of SqueezeCenter. Also that only the wallpaper part of the additional setting screen works [it will be 7.1 before you can customise the sound effects on the controller].

Pale Blue Ego
2008-04-04, 07:56
I still think we need a better system for album art on the Squeezebox, but that's certainly not a new insight. ;-)

Handy Tip: Embed the cover art in each file's tag and all these issues go away.

craigf
2008-04-04, 08:14
Handy Tip: Embed the cover art in each file's tag and all these issues go away.

Thanks, but wouldn't that needlessly replicate 20-50 KB of data in every single audio file?

We have >15,000 songs in our collection. I don't really want to inflate my storage needs by half a gig or so if I don't have to.

Putting cover.jpg in the directory of each album seems to be working fine.

But thanks again for the suggestion.

craigf
2008-04-04, 08:15
The controller itself allows additional wallpaper images to be downloaded to it from SqueezeCentre. The SqueezeCenter part of this is not yet fully developed, the attached is a demo plugin which makes it easier to do than the previous plugin I posted. Note however that it requires the latest 7.0.1 nightly version of SqueezeCenter. Also that only the wallpaper part of the additional setting screen works [it will be 7.1 before you can customise the sound effects on the controller].

Thanks...will try it out.

jaffacake
2008-04-04, 08:29
Thanks, but wouldn't that needlessly replicate 20-50 KB of data in every single audio file?

We have >15,000 songs in our collection. I don't really want to inflate my storage needs by half a gig or so if I don't have to.

Putting cover.jpg in the directory of each album seems to be working fine.

But thanks again for the suggestion.

If you actually price up the cost of half a GB of storage, you'll realise that the cost of convenience.

Additionally, if you do it this way, the same artwork will also show up on iTunes/iPod/iPhone etc.

BrockStone
2008-04-04, 08:51
Personally for the long term and ease of use, adding the album pic into the song's tag is by far the way to go.

The cost of HDD space is virtually insignificant nowadays.

ModelCitizen
2008-04-15, 22:37
Every album in my collection resides in it's own directory, which also contains a 300x300 pixel cover art image called folder.jpg. Can anyone recommend the simplest way to a embed the cover art in each track file... preferably in one hit for whole 1,700 album collection?

Thanks.

MC

craigf
2008-04-16, 04:27
I just went through this exact same migration.

MP3Tag (free at MP3Tag.com) can do this for all your albums at once. It takes a couple minutes of configging the app's user-customizable functions, but it's fairly straightforward.

If you get stumped, post and I'll try to help.

aubuti
2008-04-16, 06:01
I just went through this exact same migration.

MP3Tag (free at MP3Tag.com) can do this for all your albums at once. It takes a couple minutes of configging the app's user-customizable functions, but it's fairly straightforward.

If you get stumped, post and I'll try to help.
I just did this for the MP3 copy of my library that I keep for portable use, and it is very easy in mp3tag (select tracks, alt+shift+5, select 'embed cover art' or something like that, and give the name of the file to look for (folder.jpg), hit enter).

Can mp3tag do this for FLACs as well? I'm not sure I necessarily want to do it, since folder.jpg/cover.jpg works fine with SC7 and foobar2000, but I'm curious.