PDA

View Full Version : Browsing artists on the controller

JHC
2008-03-12, 18:34
I know this has come up before but wanted to add a new vote and perhaps a suggestion.

My lists of artists is almost 2000 long. The controller scrolls lists nicely and the acceleration feature helps, but no amount of acceleration really makes scrolling through 2000 items very nice.

I was wondering if there might not be a way to give us a way when we're scrolling artists (or other really long lists), to jump forward to the next letter in the alphabet...

For example, if I was browsing in artists and currently looking at those that start with "A", it would be nice if one of the keys on the remote would skip me ahead to artists that start with "B". This way, getting from A to J would involve hitting a key 9 times (if my math is right).

I don't know about others, but using the next / previous track buttons would serve nicely here. In other words, their use would change according to context... they'd help navigate a list when scrolling through a list and perform their usual track functions otherwise.

I know this might disturb others (who might always want these to perform track functions) so maybe this could be an option?

Jonathan

cliveb
2008-03-13, 01:33
My lists of artists is almost 2000 long. The controller scrolls lists nicely and the acceleration feature helps, but no amount of acceleration really makes scrolling through 2000 items very nice.

I was wondering if there might not be a way to give us a way when we're scrolling artists (or other really long lists), to jump forward to the next letter in the alphabet...
There is already a fairly straightforward way to get all artists (or albums, etc) starting with a given letter: the Search mechanism. But IMHO it takes rather too many button presses, and with my somewhat smaller library (about 400 artists) it's quicker to just scroll the main list.

Having a way to get quickly to a particular letter of the alphabet would be a godsend, but I can't say I much like your suggested method. I guess it would be better than nothing, though.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Rio Karma portable player got this right years ago. Its top menu was an A-Z arrangement, so you could start by selecting the initial letter of the required artist. In addition, the first item in the top level menu is "all artists": selecting that gives you a complete scrollable list.

In concept the Controller could easily operate in an inverse of this approach: the top level menu is the entire scrollable list (ie. as it is now), with an additional first menu item being "A-Z". Selecting the "A-Z" option would then display a scrollable alphabet of initial letters.

Lou1z
2008-03-13, 02:02
i've got a mda compact 3 mobile. it has a scroll wheel similar to the controller (not as big though lol!)
to go through all my contacts (albums, artists in your case), you simply accelerate your scrolling. within a second, it pops up a huge A, then B, then C and so on. you just stop at say J and the list starts there.
might be an idea?

cliveb
2008-03-13, 04:46
i've got a mda compact 3 mobile. it has a scroll wheel similar to the controller (not as big though lol!)
to go through all my contacts (albums, artists in your case), you simply accelerate your scrolling. within a second, it pops up a huge A, then B, then C and so on. you just stop at say J and the list starts there.
might be an idea?
The Squeezebox Controller already does this. But once acceleration begins it's very easy to overshoot - sometimes by quite a big margin. Perhaps some fine tuning to the acceleration rates in a future firmware might improve matters.

erland
2008-03-13, 10:06
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Rio Karma portable player got this right years ago. Its top menu was an A-Z arrangement, so you could start by selecting the initial letter of the required artist. In addition, the first item in the top level menu is "all artists": selecting that gives you a complete scrollable list.

In concept the Controller could easily operate in an inverse of this approach: the top level menu is the entire scrollable list (ie. as it is now), with an additional first menu item being "A-Z". Selecting the "A-Z" option would then display a scrollable alphabet of initial letters.
If you really want to get an intermediate A-Z level, you can always use the Custom Browse plugin to accomplish this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39835

Mitch Harding
2008-03-13, 10:23
If you open a bug/enhancement report for this idea, I will vote for it!

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 3:33 AM, cliveb <
cliveb.367cwc1205397302 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> JHC;279028 Wrote:
> > My lists of artists is almost 2000 long. The controller scrolls lists
> > nicely and the acceleration feature helps, but no amount of
> > acceleration really makes scrolling through 2000 items very nice.
> >
> > I was wondering if there might not be a way to give us a way when we're
> > scrolling artists (or other really long lists), to jump forward to the
> > next letter in the alphabet...
> There is already a fairly straightforward way to get all artists (or
> albums, etc) starting with a given letter: the Search mechanism. But
> IMHO it takes rather too many button presses, and with my somewhat
> smaller library (about 400 artists) it's quicker to just scroll the
> main list.
>
> Having a way to get quickly to a particular letter of the alphabet
> would be a godsend, but I can't say I much like your suggested method.
> I guess it would be better than nothing, though.
>
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Rio Karma portable
> player got this right years ago. Its top menu was an A-Z arrangement,
> so you could start by selecting the initial letter of the required
> artist. In addition, the first item in the top level menu is "all
> artists": selecting that gives you a complete scrollable list.
>
> In concept the Controller could easily operate in an inverse of this
> approach: the top level menu is the entire scrollable list (ie. as it
> is now), with an additional first menu item being "A-Z". Selecting the
> "A-Z" option would then display a scrollable alphabet of initial
> letters.
>
>
> --
> cliveb
>
> Transporter -> ATC SCM100A
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> cliveb's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=348
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44671
>
>

cliveb
2008-03-13, 11:03
If you really want to get an intermediate A-Z level, you can always use the Custom Browse plugin to accomplish this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=39835
Thanks for the pointer. I have installed the beta 11 version into SqueezeCenter 7.0 Gold, enabled the "Artists by letter" menu, and it works very nicely.

There's a few minor tweaks I'd like to be able to make, but before asking here I'll play around a bit more to see whether I can figure it out for myself.

cliveb
2008-03-13, 11:30
There's a few minor tweaks I'd like to be able to make, but before asking here I'll play around a bit more to see whether I can figure it out for myself.
OK, it didn't take long for me to get stuck.

What I'd like to do is add the "Artists by letter" menu directly into the standard Music Library menu. (At one point while I was fiddling around, it did appear there, but now it's gone away).
I would also like to remove the "Custom Browse" item from the Music Library menu.

In other words, is it possible to configure Custom Browse so that the only effect it has is to add "Artists by letter" to the standard menu? The notes on your web page (in the "Menu Structure" section) seem to suggest that it's possible, but I can't figure it out. Can you help, Erland?

erland
2008-03-13, 11:40
In other words, is it possible to configure Custom Browse so that the only effect it has is to add "Artists by letter" to the standard menu? The notes on your web page (in the "Menu Structure" section) seem to suggest that it's possible, but I can't figure it out. Can you help, Erland?

There is a "Menu position" setting in the Custom Browse settings page, set that to "No" and the Custom Browse menu will be moved to the "Extras" menu instead.

In the Custom Browse settings page, select the "Settings Section"="Enabled Menus", then make sure both checkboxes are selected for your "Artists by letter" menu. This should place the "Artists by letter" menu directly inside the "Music Library" menu.

To make the changes take effect, you might need to restart both SqueezeCenter and the SqueezeBox Controller.

cliveb
2008-03-13, 12:45
There is a "Menu position" setting in the Custom Browse settings page, set that to "No" and the Custom Browse menu will be moved to the "Extras" menu instead.

In the Custom Browse settings page, select the "Settings Section"="Enabled Menus", then make sure both checkboxes are selected for your "Artists by letter" menu. This should place the "Artists by letter" menu directly inside the "Music Library" menu.

To make the changes take effect, you might need to restart both SqueezeCenter and the SqueezeBox Controller.
Erland, thanks very much for the explanation. It worked a treat. (I did have to restart SqueezeCenter, but the Controller picked up the new menu structures simply by switching to a different player). I am now a happy bunny.

JHC
2008-03-13, 22:12
Erland,

Thanks for a fantastic plugin -- this pretty much solves any issue I had with browsing artists and albums.