PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter start time

corbey
2008-03-12, 07:30
Is there any way to improve SqueezeCenter start time? On my PC, it seems like it takes 2-3 minutes to start after the PC boots, judged by when the icon stops blinking. The PC is a Dell with a 3 GHz dual-core processor and 1MB physical memory. I do my best to keep unnecessary processes from starting at boot time, so I don't think that's the problem.

Not a big deal, I suppose, but it seems like SlimServer used to be faster than this.

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

Steve

Phil Leigh
2008-03-12, 07:38
Could be that 1Mb of ram :o)
presumably you mean 1Gb?
My sc starts more quickly than ss ever did ~ on a machine about half as powerful as yours, but with 2Gb of ram.

mherger
2008-03-12, 07:44
> Is there any way to improve SqueezeCenter start time? On my PC, it seems
> like it takes 2-3 minutes to start after the PC boots, judged by when

How long does it take if you start it once you're logged in and all those other background jobs are started? Shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds.

--

Michael

corbey
2008-03-12, 07:47
Yeah, 1GB, but you knew what I meant!

Everything else starts pretty quickly, so I don't know why SC should be slow. My music files are on a directly connected USB drive; could that affect it?

corbey
2008-03-12, 07:51
>

How long does it take if you start it once you're logged in and all those other background jobs are started? Shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds.

--

Michael

Once it starts, the response is fine. I was thinking only of the initial start when the PC boots, when the bubble message appears that says SqueezeCenter is starting. SqueezeCenter always seems to take a minute or two longer than any other process.

haunyack
2008-03-12, 08:00
Once it starts, the response is fine. I was thinking only of the initial start when the PC boots, when the bubble message appears that says SqueezeCenter is starting. SqueezeCenter always seems to take a minute or two longer than any other process.

I also experience a few minutes of churn before the UI loads.
I'm using the SC7 daily trunk on an XP machine with 3.2GHz processor, 1.5G RAM, twin Raptor raid config with 25G free space.
Minimal background process.

mherger
2008-03-12, 08:03
> Once it starts, the response is fine. I was thinking only of the
> initial start when the PC boots, when the bubble message appears that
> says SqueezeCenter is starting.

That's what I'd like to know: how long does the start take on its own, once all other tasks are started. Not the time to open the interface. Have SC not start at logon, reboot, log on, once everything's running and the CPU has settled, start SC. How long does it take?

--

Michael

corbey
2008-03-12, 08:23
> Once it starts, the response is fine. I was thinking only of the
> initial start when the PC boots, when the bubble message appears that
> says SqueezeCenter is starting.

That's what I'd like to know: how long does the start take on its own, once all other tasks are started. Not the time to open the interface. Have SC not start at logon, reboot, log on, once everything's running and the CPU has settled, start SC. How long does it take?

--

Michael

Thanks, Michael. After all other processes had started and with CPU usage at <5%, I started SqueezeCenter manually and it took 30-40 seconds to come up. I guess that's about what you expected.

haunyack
2008-03-12, 08:32
Have SC not start at logon, reboot, log on, once everything's running and the CPU has settled, start SC. How long does it take?
Michael

Hi Mike,

Looks like 90 seconds with barebones background process (25).
Not as long as one perceives when there is a new song to play huh?

I'm good with it.

mherger
2008-03-12, 08:36
> Thanks, Michael. After all other processes had started and with CPU
> usage at <5%, I started SqueezeCenter manually and it took 30-40
> seconds to come up. I guess that's about what you expected.

It's still much more than I'd expect (about the double I see on my machine). Are you using 3rd party plugins? iTunes or MIS integration? Do you see error messages in server.log?

--

Michael

SuperQ
2008-03-12, 09:13
I did several restart tests, but not from cold boot. Took about 10 seconds on my machine (AMD X2 5000+, 2GB ram, Ubuntu)

haunyack
2008-03-12, 09:16
I did several restart tests, but not from cold boot. Took about 10 seconds on my machine (AMD X2 5000+, 2GB ram, Ubuntu)

That's pretty quick.
Do you have a large library?

mherger
2008-03-12, 09:34
>> I did several restart tests, but not from cold boot. Took about 10
>> seconds on my machine (AMD X2 5000+, 2GB ram, Ubuntu)
>
> That's pretty quick.
> Do you have a large library?

More important than this: he's talking about Linux, whereas the main complaint is on Windows.

SuperQ: is mysqld already running before you start SC? Might save a few more seconds. And restarts will very likely grab most of it out of the disk cache.

--

Michael

haunyack
2008-03-12, 09:43
More important than this: he's talking about Linux, whereas the main complaint is on Windows.

Yea...I need to get busy and take the plunge.
I've got enough spare hardware laying around to build a decent SC dedicated machine.

I'll check the newbie Linux threads...

kdf
2008-03-12, 10:06
On my windows test setup, I'm seeing 8 seconds for Async DNS init, and 40s
for Plugins init, then it's done. It isn't always this long, but when it
is, those are the noticeable jumps in time. Of course, this is a test
setup so there is an insane number of plugins (40+).

-kdf