Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ianr
    • Oct 2007

Transporters only being made to order?

Just went out to get a transporter and was told that it would have to be ordered. Distribution wasn't stocking them and Logitech/Slim is only making them to order. No estimates on how long it will be to get one. That's a pain from a consumer "give it to me now!" point of view.

Anyhow was wondering if anyone else was having a similar experience. This wouldn't be a sign that they're being phased out is it?
  • JimC
    Just another SB Fan
    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ianr
    Just went out to get a transporter and was told that it would have to be ordered. Distribution wasn't stocking them and Logitech/Slim is only making them to order. No estimates on how long it will be to get one. That's a pain from a consumer "give it to me now!" point of view.

Anyhow was wondering if anyone else was having a similar experience. This wouldn't be a sign that they're being phased out is it?
    No, they aren't being "made to order", though they are still hand-built in Mountain View. Right now, we're behind demand a bit, so there's some backlog in some channels, but we should catch up soon.

And, for the record, there are distributors that stock Transporters, though not in huge quantities. It is entirely possible that distribution is backlogged as well.

Finally, we have no plans to phase out Transporter.

-=> Jim
    "well, she wasn't all of that, but she sure was some of that." -- BKlaas' college buddy

Comment

• Michael Herger
      Babelfish's Best Boy
      • Apr 2005

Transporters only being made to order?

> Just went out to get a transporter and was told that it would have to be
      > ordered. Distribution wasn't stocking them and Logitech/Slim is only
      > making them to order. No estimates on how long it will be to get one.

?!? I've seen piles of transporters only a week ago. They surely aren't built on order.

--

Michael
      Michael

"It doesn't work - what shall I do?" - "Please check your server.log and/or scanner.log file!"
      (LMS: Settings/Information)

Comment

• ianr
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by JimC
        No, they aren't being "made to order", though they are still hand-built in Mountain View. Right now, we're behind demand a bit, so there's some backlog in some channels, but we should catch up soon.

And, for the record, there are distributors that stock Transporters, though not in huge quantities. It is entirely possible that distribution is backlogged as well.

Finally, we have no plans to phase out Transporter.

-=> Jim
        Thanks very much for clearing this up Jim!
        I'll check another dealer or three as I'm not great at patience once I've decided that I want something. :-)

Comment

• ianr
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by JimC

-=> Jim
          Does a month+ sound right for backlog? That seems like quite a long time and I do have some experience with the manufacturing of consumer electronics. Demand sounds high which is good....just not for prospective buyers.

Comment

• haunyack
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by ianr
            Does a month+ sound right for backlog? That seems like quite a long time and I do have some experience with the manufacturing of consumer electronics. Demand sounds high which is good....just not for prospective buyers.
            When I purchased my TP, the wait was even longer.
            It seemed like an eternity but it finally arrived.

Comment

• cdnpaul
              • Jan 2006

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago but a dealer managed to snag the only one the distributor had or I would have been waiting too. In any case, it would be worth the wait

Comment

• haunyack
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by cdnpaul
                ... it would be worth the wait

I'm with you.
                Most definitely worth the wait!

Comment

Working...