PDA

View Full Version : WMA Lossless & Volume Levelling

Jeff Flowerday
2008-03-11, 08:03
I know there was some discussion in regards to this back in 2006. Someone actually put in a request asking for this enhancement and it sounded like something that could possible be implemented in the trancoding.

Just wondering if it has it been added?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Flowerday
2008-03-11, 10:12
I should be more specific.

It was mentioned that the volume leveling value/tag that exists WMA Lossless files could somehow be interpreted into a replaygain value during transcode.

Jeff Flowerday
2008-03-12, 10:25
Anyone else interested in this feature please vote here.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4258

Jeff Flowerday
2009-03-27, 08:01
Seems wma volume level tags aren't easily understandable so...

What about actual replaygain tags? Could they be used when transcoding? DBPoweramp will create replaygain tags in wma lossless files just like flac.

andyg
2009-03-27, 08:18
RG tags should already be used whether transcoding or not. Does this not work? I'll look at supporting WM-specific tags too.

Jeff Flowerday
2009-03-27, 08:25
RG tags should already be used whether transcoding or not. Does this not work? I'll look at supporting WM-specific tags too.

No I haven't sorry, I had been holding off adding the tags because of collection size, but I might have to just bite the bullet. I'll give it a try on one artist post back my results.

Goodsounds
2009-03-27, 08:42
Do you have a need to keep the files in WMA lossless? Couldn't your need be met by simply converting the files to FLAC?

Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to avoid it to begin with, but maybe not possible in your case.

Jeff Flowerday
2009-03-27, 08:51
Do you have a need to keep the files in WMA lossless? Couldn't your need be met by simply converting the files to FLAC?

Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to avoid it to begin with, but maybe not possible in your case.

For me WMA lossless works on all my devices, flac doesn't. There are many advantages to flac with the squeezebox including FFD/RWD but it becomes too much of a pain with my other devices. Heck even my car supports WMA lossless on USB stick but no flac.

Goodsounds
2009-03-27, 09:23
Not to state the obvious, but one solution that many people use would be to have two folders, one with your flacs and a duplicate folder with the music in a lossy format (using high quality setting) for your car and portable players. Lossy files produce sound from such hardware that most people, even picky ones, find to be quite acceptable. Keeping lossless files to play in a car seems like overkill to me.

Some software will rip both lossless and lossy to different folders in one pass. Converting folders from one format to another is easily done in batch jobs. "Set it and forget it", as the guy on the infomercial says.

I use the two folder approach, and I find it to be quite useful with minimal effort required. Drive storage is cheap, so that is no issue. With your squeeze system, keeping your lossless files in a format with disadvantages and no significant advantages is a shame.

Jeff Flowerday
2009-03-27, 10:02
Not to state the obvious, but one solution that many people use would be to have two folders, one with your flacs and a duplicate folder with the music in a lossy format (using high quality setting) for your car and portable players. Lossy files produce sound from such hardware that most people, even picky ones, find to be quite acceptable. Keeping lossless files to play in a car seems like overkill to me.

Some software will rip both lossless and lossy to different folders in one pass. Converting folders from one format to another is easily done in batch jobs. "Set it and forget it", as the guy on the infomercial says.

I use the two folder approach, and I find it to be quite useful with minimal effort required. Drive storage is cheap, so that is no issue. With your squeeze system, keeping your lossless files in a format with disadvantages and no significant advantages is a shame.

I can't tell the difference on my Zune but I can in my car as crazy as that sounds. Not much road noise in my car and I spend 2 or so hours in it a day.

My collection is approaching 2TB of lossless. So a second lame -c0 collection does actually make the disc situation more complicated than it needs to be. My lossless collection grows by 10GB a week at least.

Jeff Flowerday
2009-03-27, 17:32
Andy the RG tags are working when transcoding. RG is a better solution then Microsoft levelling tags.

andyg
2009-03-27, 17:33
Excellent.