PDA

View Full Version : Installer suggestions

AndrueC
2008-03-10, 13:29
1.If possible keep old settings.
It's pretty crappy that upgrading an application forgets all the settings for the previous version. It didn't help that my SB3 hangs whenever I change the settings using SC7 (reported in another thread).

2.Installing as a service
The installer should offer this as an option. It was only because I had to kill SC7 off (the only way that settings changes finally appear on the SB3) that I discovered the service wasn't installed.

Other than that it's working but the installation process has taken nearly half an hour of faffing around and swearing. All I did was upgrade :-/

kdf
2008-03-10, 14:15
>
> 1.If possible keep old settings.

It is designed to do that where possible. If it didn't, something went
wrong.

> 2.Installing as a service
> The installer should offer this as an option.

long dicsussions on this already. Decision was that there are more things
that break for typical user if it's a service. Having the option during
install got messy, so app by default and a post-install tool to help
convert to service for those who really need it.
-kdf

mherger
2008-03-10, 14:26
> I d/loaded and installed SC7 today and have discovered a minor
> annoyance.

Please define a player name. There's a bug in SC7.0 which would lock up
the player if you don't give it a name.

Michael

JimC
2008-03-10, 14:46
1.If possible keep old settings.
It's pretty crappy that upgrading an application forgets all the settings for the previous version. It didn't help that my SB3 hangs whenever I change the settings using SC7 (reported in another thread).

2.Installing as a service
The installer should offer this as an option. It was only because I had to kill SC7 off (the only way that settings changes finally appear on the SB3) that I discovered the service wasn't installed.

Other than that it's working but the installation process has taken nearly half an hour of faffing around and swearing. All I did was upgrade :-/

RE: #1... sorry, setting should have been preserved. If they weren't something went wrong.

RE: #2... the README file covers that topic. For compatibility with the broadest number of Windows users, we've elected to install as an application. We provide a simple tool to change that to a service, if you need that.

-=> Jim