PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox won't connect to wireless network

symi
2008-03-10, 09:14
Hi Everyone,

I bought my squeezebox yesterday, and I'm having a terrible time trying to get it to connect to my wireless network. The squeezebox can see the network name in the network list, I select it, I type in my WEP key, and after 30 seconds I get an error message basically telling me to try again.

I have a netopia router/switch and broadband provider is Eircom.

I would really welcome any suggestions, cos I feel like I'm banging my head off the wall at this point!!

Many thanks

Symi

radish
2008-03-10, 09:33
Couple of points to consider here:

1) Are you sure the key is correct? Obvious I know but worth double checking.
2) Try disabling encryption to see if that fixes it. This step eliminates other possible causes for the problem.
3) You should really be using WPA rather than WEP. As well as being broken from a security point of view, WEP keys can be confusing as there is some ambiguity in how they are represented. WPA is much more straightforward.

symi
2008-03-10, 12:32
Hi and thanks for responding!

I have upgraded router's firmware and reset my router. Still no response from the Squeezebox. I will try the WPA instead of WEP, but I also wanted to ask how do I assign a static ip address? There does not seem to be an option to change it in the current settings.

Thanks again

Symi

radish
2008-03-10, 15:43
When you go through network setup (press and hold left on the remote to get to it) one of the options is "Obtain IP address automatically" or "Assign IP address".

Before trying WPA I'd try with no encryption at all, that at least helps figure out what might be the problem.

symi
2008-03-11, 06:10
Hi again,

Thanks for the info, we've got the squeezebox connected now. We turned off the encryption as you suggested and that seems to have done the trick. I will try WPA instead tho (as I dont like the idea of our network connection being available to all), I just havent got around to it! But the squeezebox itself works a treat, and has no trouble playing the various music files (wma, flac) that we have.

Thanks again

Symi

earthbased
2008-03-11, 07:19
Hi again,

Thanks for the info, we've got the squeezebox connected now. We turned off the encryption as you suggested and that seems to have done the trick. I will try WPA instead tho (as I dont like the idea of our network connection being available to all), I just havent got around to it! But the squeezebox itself works a treat, and has no trouble playing the various music files (wma, flac) that we have.

Thanks again

Symi

WPA is more secure than WEP and has basically replaced it. I use WPA on a WRT54G streaming FLAC with no problems. Make sure you WPA password is at least 10 characters in length and includes numbers, symbols, upper case and lower case. If you are truly paranoid go to 24 character length.

symi
2008-03-11, 12:52
Thanks Earthbased

I'll give that a try. Any ideas on external storage for all my files? I've been reading a lot of reviews of external hard drives and servers and was wondering if any of you guys had suggestions? I would need up to 4tb(I'd like to keep everything at full rate, not mp3) My cd collection is years and years in the making and taking up far too much room in the house..

Regards

Symi

boxowl
2008-03-12, 03:43
Just a sugestion: Try it connecting it via wired lan first. With this you can check wether the box and/or the server are working correctly at all.

DotSystem
2008-03-12, 04:14
Symi

If you are running Windows XP on the PC, you may need this update:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

Bob

symi
2008-03-15, 10:18
Hi Everyone,

thanks for all the info, I've got the squeezebox up and running and have been enjoying my music collection all over again. I have downloaded the plug-in, and am now on the hunt for some external storage or server solution. I'm off now to enjoy my St.Paddys weekend,(being Irish its my national duty) cheers and beers everybody!!

Zaragon
2008-03-15, 13:05
With 4T of music I'd suggest that you use a PC based server rather than looking at NAS systems. I'm not sure there are too many consumer end NAS that generally support that much storage especially as you will probably want to configure it for RAID in some way (unless you have some backup mechanism). Which is likely to mean in the region of 7+ 1T disks.

There will be professional level NAS arrays that can easily handle the array size but I have no knowledge of whether they can support a SqueezeCentre.

Whilst you could use a PC based server and keep storage in an external NAS array this isn't likely to confer any advantage over just loading the disks into the server itself, which will also be cheaper. Although it is a lot of disks.

I was about to say the following:

If you have any experience of building PCs then you wouldn't have any problem building a suitable system for around a 350UKP plus disks. 1T disks are around 170UKP at the moment.

when I realised that, that adds up and the difficulties are likely to be getting cases to handle 7 or more disks and a motherboard/controller cards to deal with it as a single or suitably sized arrays.