PDA

View Full Version : Wireless roaming with the Receiver

El Callado
2008-03-09, 19:26
Like many others here, I just got my Duet, and it works great. However, I'm not getting complete wireless coverage in my house from the Controller, and I'm wondering what to do about it.

I now have three 802.11g WAPs: an Airport base station, an Airport Express in another room, and the SBR, which is in the same room as the Express. All three devices are connected via Ethernet to the base station, which also serves as my router.

The two Airports operate in roaming mode; i.e., they're on the same subnet, and they can hand off a mobile station from one to the other according to signal strength.

My question is, does the SBR work this way too? In other words, if I move the Express to a part of the house where reception is now too weak, will all three WAPs form a single roaming network?

Thanks for replies.

JimC
2008-03-09, 21:20
Like many others here, I just got my Duet, and it works great. However, I'm not getting complete wireless coverage in my house from the Controller, and I'm wondering what to do about it.

I now have three 802.11g WAPs: an Airport base station, an Airport Express in another room, and the SBR, which is in the same room as the Express. All three devices are connected via Ethernet to the base station, which also serves as my router.

The two Airports operate in roaming mode; i.e., they're on the same subnet, and they can hand off a mobile station from one to the other according to signal strength.

My question is, does the SBR work this way too? In other words, if I move the Express to a part of the house where reception is now too weak, will all three WAPs form a single roaming network?

Thanks for replies.

Two issues here:

1. According to Sean, Squeezebox Controller can't yet roam across access points.

2. The SBR doesn't act as a generic access point. You can choose to have it create an ad-hoc connection for your SBC; in this case, you have a lower-power ad-hoc connection that has nothing to do with your other wireless network.

-=> Jim

El Callado
2008-03-10, 06:17
Squeezebox Controller can't yet roam across access points.

Mine does. It's a little sluggish, but if I'm standing next to one WAP, the SNR on the wireless status display is in the 50-60 range. I then go into the room with the other WAP, and the SNR drops below 10. But after a while, the BSSID changes and the SNR is back above 50. The IP address is the same. It seems to need a keypress to make the transition.

I think Sean's comment may be applicable to an SBR that has only wireless connectivity.

Since the Controller is capable of roaming, the only question is whether the Receiver can act as a roaming WAP. I may test this myself later today.

JimC
2008-03-10, 14:54
Mine does. It's a little sluggish, but if I'm standing next to one WAP, the SNR on the wireless status display is in the 50-60 range. I then go into the room with the other WAP, and the SNR drops below 10. But after a while, the BSSID changes and the SNR is back above 50. The IP address is the same. It seems to need a keypress to make the transition.

I think Sean's comment may be applicable to an SBR that has only wireless connectivity.

Hmmm... I'll double-check that with Sean. It might be that you completely dropped of the low-strength access point, and when it reconnected it connected to the one it found (the higher-strength signal). He was pretty explicit that the logic wasn't in the wireless code to roam across access points.

Since the Controller is capable of roaming, the only question is whether the Receiver can act as a roaming WAP. I may test this myself later today.

It doesn't. Really.

-=> Jim

El Callado
2008-03-10, 18:43
It might be that you completely dropped of the low-strength access point, and when it reconnected it connected to the one it found (the higher-strength signal).

I don't think it had to drop off completely. I still had control of the Receiver, but if I backed out of Settings > Advanced > Wireless Network, and then went back to it, the Controller would rescan for networks and connect to the closer WAP. It didn't happen spontaneously. But it seems that a change in the firmware might make that possible.

I also tested roaming on the Receiver, and that definitely doesn't work. The Controller does have to lose signal completely, and then it will make an ad-hoc connection to the Receiver with a 169.* address. It still sees the server via the wired connection.

I think what I'd like, therefore, is to be able to shut off the wireless interface in the SBR and just use my Airport network to connect the Controller. There must be some interference between the Airports and the SBR. I take it there's no way to do that now.