PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Softsqueeze or mp3 streaming

zMusic
2008-03-09, 13:22
Hi all,

I just bought a duet and am using it with an older computer (~800Mhz Dell with external hard drive).

I have a USB DAC and would like to use the same computer that is running Squeezecenter to interface with the DAC. Is there anyway to tap into the audio stream without using the remote streaming method or softqueeze? My computer can run squeezecenter fine, but runs into difficulty running additional programs while running squeezecenter.

Most of my music is apple lossless and I would like to use the squeezebox receiver to play music in another room.

Any help would be appreaciate.

Thanks

ralphy
2008-03-10, 04:39
You should checkout squeezeslave.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37460&page=14

Ralphy.

funkstar
2008-03-10, 04:52
To help with processor load, you could turn off ALAC to FLAC transcoding and just stream WAV, that would leave a lot more head room for running SqueezeSlave or SoftSqueeze.

zMusic
2008-03-10, 21:22
Thank you for the advice.

I briefly tried squeezeslave tonight and I am able to run it at the same time as squeezecenter.

At your suggestion, I went into settings/advanced/file types on squeezecenter and disabled FLAC and mp3 stream formats where it says apple lossless. Is what you meant? The menu is slightly unclear.

funkstar
2008-03-11, 06:35
At your suggestion, I went into settings/advanced/file types on squeezecenter and disabled FLAC and mp3 stream formats where it says apple lossless. Is what you meant? The menu is slightly unclear.
I think so :)

I've never really spent much time looking at the transcoding options, never needed to. And I'm not at home with my server so I can't check. But if you leave ALAC to WAV checked and un-check the rest that will produce the least procesing load on the server. It may still nto work, but it will give you the best chance.