PDA

View Full Version : Incorrect time displayed



TerryHawkins
2008-03-09, 09:01
Hi,

For some reason at some point overnight, the time of my squeezebox has become an hour fast.

I am running slimserver on a QNAP TS109 and the time on this is correct, and when connecting to the squeezenetwork the time is correct.

Anyone have any ideas as to the problem? I am in the UK.

Terry

jncraig
2008-03-09, 09:20
The US went on daylight savings time overnight.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 12:01 PM, TerryHawkins <
TerryHawkins.360j2b1205078701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> Hi,
>
> For some reason at some point overnight, the time of my squeezebox has
> become an hour fast.
>
> I am running slimserver on a QNAP TS109 and the time on this is
> correct, and when connecting to the squeezenetwork the time is
> correct.
>
> Anyone have any ideas as to the problem? I am in the UK.
>
> Terry
>
>
> --
> TerryHawkins
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> TerryHawkins's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=11635
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=44481
>
>

dwilliams01
2008-03-09, 09:22
The US had Daylight Saving kick in Sat/Sun - "Spring ahead". Timezone issue? In the past I've seen lots of Windows boxes setup with the wrong timezone but the time was set correctly - only would see a problem if sending meeting requests across timezones or when Daylight Savings changes...

TerryHawkins
2008-03-09, 09:36
I have checked the time and time zone, and these are both correct on my QNAP TS-109. I have even tried restarting it but still the same time??

Terry

caschmidt
2008-03-09, 13:21
I have checked the time and time zone, and these are both correct on my QNAP TS-109. I have even tried restarting it but still the same time??

Terry

It's the exact same situation by me in Denmark
- same day - an hour "too much" on the SqueezeBox
- according to TS-109 the time (and timezone) are set correctly

Are we all suffering from US timesaving?
Do we just have to wait a few weeks until Europe-timesaving occurs before this problem solves itself?

TerryHawkins
2008-03-09, 13:31
Are we all suffering from US timesaving?
Do we just have to wait a few weeks until Europe-timesaving occurs before this problem solves itself?
It looks that way to me, just have to see if it fixes itself or just wait like you say.

keithm
2008-03-10, 06:05
Same here - looks like the server software needs a patch for this - most Linux variants and other operating systems can handle this change appropriately based on the local timezone settings so there's no real reason why the QNAP shouldn't be able to do this correctly too.

It's very annoying, to say the least! I tend to use the clock on my squeezebox quite a lot since it's generally a lot more accurate than any of the other clocks around the house, as it syncs regularly with a network timeserver.

gammelgam
2008-03-10, 07:23
QNAP and daylight time saving is fixable, you simply need to modify the startup script. See my post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=239648&postcount=6

I think this is due to the fact that Slimserver on the Qnap is run from a "bootstrap" environment that has its own timezone.

/Emanuel

mooblie
2008-03-10, 07:38
My SqeezeCenter and Squeezeboxes are all correct on time here in UK - today and previously?? I haven't touched any setups at any time either.

cycloid
2008-03-10, 13:35
It must be a qnap issue - if I fire up slimserver on a mac there is no problem.

what puzzles me is that "date" shows correctly on the qnap, even in the chroot environment.

the default TZ in chroot is UTC, so I can't see why that is a problem. Changing it to "UK/London" or "GMT" doesn't fix anything.

I've looked at the scripts posted elsewhere but somewhat wary of running them (I'm no linux expert, and I'm deeply wary of running scripts I don't understand), or permanently modifying M050-slimserver.sh, without having a clearer understanding of what is going on.

I would like to fix it - it's bugging me - and I use my SB3 as my alarm clock!!) Presumably the answer lies in gammelgam's post (export TZ=CET-1CEST-2,M3.5.0/02:00:00,M10.5.0/03:00:00 to get probably the right time zone for sweden) but again I am wary of solutions I don't understand.

Can anyone help? or should I just wait until the clocks change!

TerryHawkins
2008-03-11, 03:28
I would like to fix it - it's bugging me... but again I am wary of solutions I don't understand.

Can anyone help? or should I just wait until the clocks change!
I'm feeling the same as you, I don't like changing things unless I fully understand what I'm doing.

I like to use the clock on my SB3, its now getting somewhat annoying seeing the wrong time

Terry

cycloid
2008-03-17, 13:38
Terry

Progressive have now put the fix on their website, which is good enough for me...

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/247

mlavende
2008-03-30, 10:41
Terry

Progressive have now put the fix on their website, which is good enough for me...

https://www.ripcaster.co.uk/node/247



So After applying this fix it was fine, but now we have our DST applied in the UK I'm an hour behind!
Any ideas please?

-Mat

cycloid
2008-04-07, 11:35
yep, just got back from the USA to exactly the same problem (compounded by the fact that my body no longer has a clue what TZ it's in!!)

I've just reverted to the old M050-slimserver.sh for now. Hopefully in my jetlagged state I've done so correctly...

mlavende
2008-04-07, 13:15
me too but we'll just have the same problem come october when the clocks go back :-)