PDA

View Full Version : PS3 webbrowser and 7.0

Len
2008-03-09, 02:42
Hi,

I updated the server software with the new 7.0. It is running on a WHS. All is going fine. It's a bit slower but I can access it with Safari and mozilla on my powerbook and workstation (ubuntu).
But when I try to login with the playstation3 web browser, it hangs. I even have to reset the PS3 :/
Even then i use the old skin it is hanging my PS3.

Do other people have the same problem?

zlasher
2008-03-31, 14:54
Yes.. I have the same problem.. Just starting googling for a sollution now.
Funny enough - works perfect with the opera browser on the Wii..

Rumor has it that it will work with the classic skin..

[EDIT]
After testing a bit.. Yes.. This url works both on the PS3 and PSP (although a little cramped on the screen).

http://my_server_ip_address:9000/Classic

Sadly the new skin wont work (yet) on the PS3 - however this is clearly Sonys fault - not "you guys!"..
Also.. Navigating with the PS3 BD remote is kind of awkward..

Zlasher

mherger
2008-03-31, 22:47
> Funny enough - works perfect with the opera browser on the Wii..

The new Default skin is pretty heavy on JS. Opera is fully featured. Don't
know what PS3 is running. But I'd bet it doesn't like JS.

> Rumor has it that it will work with the classic skin..

Classic skin doesn't use half as much JS - that's why it's the skin of
choice for older and less powerful browsers.

Michael

oreillymj
2008-04-01, 02:34
The PS3's browser is notoriously flaky. The OS only has 256mb to run in, and reports of hangs on relatively small pages have been cropping up on PS3 related forums. I also understand that the Netfront browser's Javascript engine isn't great, although it has been improved in FW2.20. For some reason Sony would rather stick to this obscure browser than use a PPC Firefox port. It's probably due to security. Any bugs in Firefox are wide open for targeting by hackers, which would open the PS3 to hackers.

Stick to a PC.