PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter won't start on Vista 64

starbuck
2008-03-09, 02:26
Have just done the upgrade from slimserver to squeezecenter 7(official build).
When I try and start squeezecenter, it shows on taskbar that squeezecenter is starting and does nothing else. Left it half an hour and it still says squeezecenter is starting.

Tried the nightly update from the 8th and still does the same thing, it won't start. Slimserver used to run fine and I have run the beta version of squeezecenter 7 before and that has run ok as well.

pnielsen
2008-03-09, 05:35
FWIW, works fine here on Vista 64 Ultimate. (I upgraded from 6.5.3. to 7.0GA never tried a beta).

I noticed a change in behavior though: The desktop shortcut no longer brings up a browser window (I belive it did this in v6). Instead you now have to double click the taskbar icon to bring up the window...

Peter

starbuck
2008-03-09, 07:03
All sorted now, just had to uninstall completely then reinstall rather than install squeezecenter 7 over the top of slimserver as I did before.

Club1820
2008-03-09, 21:05
All sorted now, just had to uninstall completely then reinstall rather than install squeezecenter 7 over the top of slimserver as I did before.

I'm having the same problem but on Vista 32bit. I installed Squeezecenter over Slimserver yesterday. It worked fine yesterday but today SqzCtr just stopped. So I restarted it. Just like you, it said "Sqzctr Starting" for about 1/2 hour. It was also taking up about 50% of my cpu resources and 1 gb of my memory. After about 1/2 hour it just stopped. This has happened several times and I cant get it to start again.

I've rebooting several times and restarted sqzctr several times. all with the same results, - supposedly starting for 1/2 hour, then stops and nothing.

Any other ideas other than reinstalling? I would think not uninstalling SS first had nothing to do with it since sqzctr uninstalls it first before installing itself. sqzctr is installed in an altogether different directory than ss was installed in.

please help.

starbuck
2008-03-09, 23:52
Don't know why it worked for me but uninstalling it 1st seemed to solve it. I made sure to delete the slimserver and squeezecenter directories before installing it. I also installed the latest nightly update and that seemed to work.

Club1820
2008-03-10, 12:35
Turns out it had something to do with the Custom Scan Plug-in. I had initiated the Amazon.com Scan within the plug-in. It does state that it is slow. Well, it started to scan and then sqzctr bombed. After that, I couldnt restart and the 50% cpu usage and 1 gb memory usage.

I ended up removing the plug-in and the pref files. I reinstalled sqzctr and the rest of the plug-ins. Then it worked fine.

I reinstalled Custom Scan plug-in and it still worked fine. I then tried to install the Lazy Search plug-in and it bombed again.

So I started the cycle again. Removed plug-ins, re-installed sqzctr, installed all plug-ins other than Custom Scan(even lazy search)and all is well again.

So, I guess I wont be installing Custom Scan again. Just wondering if this is a known issue with this plug-in and sqzctr 7.0?

erland
2008-03-13, 11:11
I reinstalled Custom Scan plug-in and it still worked fine. I then tried to install the Lazy Search plug-in and it bombed again.

So, I guess I wont be installing Custom Scan again. Just wondering if this is a known issue with this plug-in and sqzctr 7.0?
Are you saying that you only had the problem when you had both the Custom Scan and the Lazy Search plugin installed while it worked correctly if you only had Custom Scan or you only had Lazy Search installed ?