PDA

View Full Version : Squeezecenter Favorites Sub Folders

KJAM
2008-03-08, 17:37
Is it possible to create sub-folders within the favorites folder to catagorize stations that are similar?

For example...if you have several Jazz stations, can you create a folder called "Jazz" and store them all in this folder instead of having them mixed in with all my other stations in the main favorites directory.

There is a "Folder" button in the Squeezecenter 7.0 computer interface...but it doesn't seem to do much of anything when I try to create a folder?

Thanks!

bpa
2008-03-08, 17:45
Folder prompts your for the name of a folder.

Once a folder is created - click on the folder to go into it. You can then create entries in that folder.

jacques
2008-03-09, 10:39
Is there a way to move items into newly created folders? I'd like to organize my favorites and have created folders, but now can't seem to move things into them. I can rearrange items, but not drop into folders.

bpa
2008-03-09, 11:27
User interface is not very clean at the moment but here are the steps. It is effectively cut & paste

Make sure you are editing Favorites (i.e clieck "pencil" icon)

1. Create the folders you want
2. Select the favorites you want moved.
3. Click the "x" - the Favorites entry will be delete but there will be a new entry at the bottom "Insert Delete [name of favorite]"
4. Click on destination folder name
5. You should still see the "Insert Delete [name of favorite]" entry so click on it to add to the folder.

jacques
2008-03-09, 12:03
Thanks! That worked great. There's so many new things that I should re-explore everything in Squeezecenter.

Gplouffe
2008-04-22, 18:35
Is it possible to have a folder for mp3 or wav files that would be displayed when the favorite button was pressed? I would like to use it to play my answering machine messages and have not found a way to make .wav files favorites.

radish
2008-04-23, 05:47
There's no difference between a wav file and any other track, they can be made favourites provided they're in the db. In your case, as they're transient files, I assume they haven't been scanned. I don't think it's possible to set a directory as a favourite, only one of the db entities (playlist, album, track, artist, etc).

Triode
2008-04-23, 14:42
User interface is not very clean at the moment but here are the steps. It is effectively cut & paste

Make sure you are editing Favorites (i.e clieck "pencil" icon)

1. Create the folders you want
2. Select the favorites you want moved.
3. Click the "x" - the Favorites entry will be delete but there will be a new entry at the bottom "Insert Delete [name of favorite]"
4. Click on destination folder name
5. You should still see the "Insert Delete [name of favorite]" entry so click on it to add to the folder.

It would be good to get some feedback on how to improve this interface. Is the current cut and paste mechanism ok but needs better exposure, or could it be changed? Should the delete & insert delete strings say cut and paste?

magicpocket
2008-07-23, 13:30
The way the favorites folders work at the moment is pretty unusable and ridiculously low-tech. They should work like the playlist, drag and drop really.

If this isn't possible then at least some mechanism to get new favorites direct into folders is required.... the concept of deleting a favorite, then navigating to the folder, then clicking on the spuriously-designed 'insert deleted item xyz' is a totally alien and non-intuitive concept which makes squeezecenter favorites no good other than for grouping a few internet radio URL's.

Triode
2008-07-23, 14:04
You should be able to drag n drop an item into a folder - well you can in 7.1 with the default skin. What version are you using?

peert
2008-08-30, 02:31
It would be good to get some feedback on how to improve this interface. Is the current cut and paste mechanism ok but needs better exposure, or could it be changed? Should the delete & insert delete strings say cut and paste?

Being a long-time user of the Turtle Beach Audiotron, and a new (and VERY happy) user of SqueezeBox, I have (had?) problems with the favorites. Although most of the GUI is really intuitive, it took me quite a while to figure out how to use the favorites.

Disclaimer:
I run the Custom Browse plugin. It seems to work like a charm, but it also seems that some menu options (like the "add to favorite") are lost/disabled on account of this (or my way of configuring it).

Anyway, here's a quick summary of my first impressions of dealing with Favorites:
- At first, I didn't even realize there was such a thing as shortcuts for the favorites (pressing a digit). Shame, this is a Really Good Feature for multi-room operation where you don't see the box!
- For quite some time, I thought all you could place on the favorites were radio stations. Not sure why, but the "add to favorites" button just isn't very visible.
- When I go into Favorites - new Favorite, I am asked to enter a URL. If I enter a file URL to a playlist, I can't figure out how to make it work. My interpretation was: favorites are only for net radio.
- I still don't understand how to add a genre, album or artist as a favorite. Or is this because of the Custom Browse plugin?

What I would find really intuitive (even if not the most effective in all cases):
1. Open Favorites - edit Favorites - new Favorite
2. Browse thru the database and select favorite(s) (browse by all available tags, but at least Artist, Genre, Radio Station or Playlist)
3. Use "Up" and "Down" buttons to reorganize order.
4. See numbers next to favorites to understand current order.
5. Use "Export" button (next to the "Import") to backup favorites.

Now, if you happen to know the admin web page for the Turtle Beach Audiotron, you'll recognize some of this :-)

I am obviously biased, but still think this would be a pretty straight-forward approach. The ability to add favorites from the various play menus is good, but not as obvious as a dedicated "favorites management" page where you can add, delete and reorder favorites. Especially if you use plug-ins to rearrange the menus :-)

Oh well, that's my 2c. Thanks for a good product!

(BTW. I'm running 7.1 - just downloaded 7.2 but have not yet tested)

Nonreality
2008-08-30, 02:48
You should be able to drag n drop an item into a folder - well you can in 7.1 with the default skin. What version are you using?I can't drag and drop from the right window to the left. How else could you do this. I set up a test favorite as albums. So how do I drag and drop into this? I'm using 7.2 on windows XP. It sounded like a good idea but I can't see how you could do this as to get albums you would have to use the left pane and then the folder is gone that you would want to drag into. It seems that you can drag up and down but not across so that makes it useful for changing the order of things but not for setting up things.

ModelCitizen
2008-08-30, 05:02
I can't drag and drop from the right window to the left. How else could you do this. I set up a test favorite as albums. So how do I drag and drop into this?
It is not possible to drag and drop between frames on SqueezeCenter. Apparently it can't be implemented (I forget the technological explanation but try a search on the beta forum and you'll find it).

I'm pretty sure there's at least one bug raised for the each of the issues raised here (drag and drop, unintuitive editing of favourites etc, etc).

MC

ModelCitizen
2008-08-30, 05:13
I'd be happy with the folder and their contents listed on the left hand frame (tree view) and being able to drag and drop individual favourites from one folder to another. I'd be even happier if the window scrolled as you dragged an item and if you didn't alway gets returned to the very top of the page whenever you edited something and hit "save"....

I'd be good if the whole thing worked a lot faster too.

And..... the allocation of Boom buttons to favourites (via the numbers) doesn't appear to work too well either and it can be impossible to remove numbers from favourites (caveat: this was my experience in the beta 7.2. This may have changed with the full release).

Firefox on XP.

MC