PDA

View Full Version : Server Side File Type Question

web161
2008-03-08, 16:17
Hello all,

I'm running SC7 on WinXP and have 3 hardware players on our home network. I have our music stored as FLAC files. Normally I've had the server set up to pass FLAC natively to the boxes. I disabled both mp3 and WAV conversions in the settings of the server.

I recently set up a VPN at home. I'm now able to connect to my home network from work. Naturally I'd like to use softsqueeze to listen from work. But due to bandwidth constraints I've enabled mp3 to the "flac/lame" setting. I left the FLAC setting to "Native." I bitrate limited the Softsqueeze player to 128kbps. Softsqueeze now works great through my VPN.

My question is, while I do have bitrate limiting enabled for the softsqueeze player, is the server smart enough to only use lame for the bitrate limited player? Is it still sending full resolution FLAC file to my hardware players? I guess the server setup page is not quite verbose enough for my tastes.

Any clarity that can be shown on this topic would be appreciated.

Mike

snarlydwarf
2008-03-08, 16:38
My question is, while I do have bitrate limiting enabled for the softsqueeze player, is the server smart enough to only use lame for the bitrate limited player? Is it still sending full resolution FLAC file to my hardware players? I guess the server setup page is not quite verbose enough for my tastes.

Yes.

You dont even need to do all that type stuff: I have -never- messed with it, yet stream FLAC or MP3 (reencoded to work) just fine.

In short, the server will send the 'best' audio it can.

With no bitrate limits, that would be flac since it is less bandwidth but same as wav... unless you have an SB1 or older, where it will convert it to wav (no native FLAC). If it is mp3, it normally wouldnt re-encode it, but if you have bitrate limits on, it will.

Etc etc.

Thats all without messing with the conversion stuff.

web161
2008-03-08, 18:31
Yes.

In short, the server will send the 'best' audio it can.

With no bitrate limits, that would be flac since it is less bandwidth but same as wav...

That makes sense. I figured that the server would try to send audio in this "best-first" type of configuration. i.e. try the best, then the second best, etc. I'm glad you were able to confirm it.

Thanks...Mike

As a further note, I noticed that the softsqueeze shows the bitrate of the song as "894kps VBR (Converted to 128kbps ABR)" while the hardware players only list the file original bitrate. That's confirmation that the server is using the maximum available bitrate for each player.