PDA

View Full Version : FLAC Playback Bitrate

akopperl
2008-03-08, 14:34
I just installed the Duet and was playing back some tracks ripped in FLAC. The bitrate spec for the tracks is 1411kbps, yet when I playback on the Duet and review the track info it says that the bitrate is 836kbps VBR. Is this normal or is there a setting I need to change in SqueezeCenter to get playback at 1411kbps?

Thanks

snarlydwarf
2008-03-08, 14:39
I just installed the Duet and was playing back some tracks ripped in FLAC. The bitrate spec for the tracks is 1411kbps, yet when I playback on the Duet and review the track info it says that the bitrate is 836kbps VBR. Is this normal or is there a setting I need to change in SqueezeCenter to get playback at 1411kbps?

Thanks

Thats normal.

There are two bitrates: the uncompressed rate (ie, how it was on the CD) and the compressed rate (a measure of size/length) showing how well it compressed.

They are both valid: 1411 is pretty much "I have 16 bits, 44,100 samples in a second and two channels, so that is 1411kbps" Pretty useless since that is a constant on any CD.

The compressed rate is slightly more interesting: it shows you how much data needs to cross the wire or wireless network, how much savings you got in disk space (about a third is pretty typical, but it varies a lot depending on compressibility of source... a minute of silence is very easy to compress, a minute of orchestra is not).

akopperl
2008-03-08, 17:38
Thanks for the explanation. It was very helpful.