PDA

View Full Version : unprotecting itunes songs - 3rd party software?

mgrosso
2008-03-08, 13:26
I downloaded songs from itunes and want to integrate these songs with squeezebox 3. Is there any 3rd party software that will enable me to convert the protected apple software (M4P)to other formats like MP3/WAV/FLACC? Purhaps media monkey? I know people are converting these itunes songs, however, im unsure how?

snarlydwarf
2008-03-08, 14:33
I downloaded songs from itunes and want to integrate these songs with squeezebox 3. Is there any 3rd party software that will enable me to convert the protected apple software (M4P)to other formats like MP3/WAV/FLACC? Purhaps media monkey? I know people are converting these itunes songs, however, im unsure how?

The best way would be if there was a piece of software that would remove the DRM from the file, leaving you with an m4a instead of an m4p file... That would, alas, be illegal to discuss in the US and illegal to distribute since it would violate the DMCA to allow you to listen to music you paid for on devices you own... Isn't that dumb.... Of course, search engines may show something like that.

Keeping it in the same format would be best because then you don't introduce artifacts from recompressing a lossy file. (think of the degradation when you photocopy a picture instead of using the negative for a new print).

The Official ITMS way is to burn the song to a disc and then rerip it, however the reripping would be lossy unless you ripped to flac, but then you would be storing a lossy version as FLAC and getting none of the real benefits of compression with all the loss of sound...

I do not believe this posts violates the DMCA...

Best advice: advoid iTunes Music Store from now on: Amazon has a better selection, lower price and you can play tracks from Amazon on your car CD player, Zune, iPod, Squeezebox, etc.

gweempose
2008-03-08, 17:35
Best advice: advoid iTunes Music Store from now on: Amazon has a better selection, lower price and you can play tracks from Amazon on your car CD player, Zune, iPod, Squeezebox, etc.Here, here! Amazon is awesome!

bigfool1956
2008-03-09, 05:39
But of course Amazon is North America only

bonze
2008-03-09, 06:22
But of course Amazon is North America only
Tried Play.com ??