PDA

View Full Version : dumb question?

MrSinatra
2008-03-08, 12:06
if i have SC powering songs on my SB on one computer, (lets say its simply a random mix) and its already going, and then i want to have a 2nd computer elsewhere on my side of the router tune into that so it will also play the same thing, how do i do that?

i thought i could just point winamp to:

192.168.0.100:9000/Stream.mp3

but that didn't work. help?

also, will the SB and winamp be in sync?

thx.

MrSinatra
2008-03-08, 12:10
i should actually point out a few things...

i had to use small s in 'stream.mp3,' big S gets me 404 not found.

also, it does say "connected to SC" but at 320kbps and no sound. all my mp3s are at 256.

snarlydwarf
2008-03-08, 12:14
Just as when you plug a new player in, it doesn't automatically start playing what other players may be playing, stream.mp3 needs to be set with a playlist.

As for syncing, it won't work well at all.

Use SoftSqueeze which will be much better (tho nowhere near as close as a hardware player).

MrSinatra
2008-03-08, 12:18
ok, well, forgetting the sync'ing for a moment.

the first computer powering the SB is currently playling a playlist it is making on its own via random mix.

i simply want to tie a second computer, via winamp, into that currently running playlist.

is it not possible to do this at all?

or is it something winamp can't do, but softsqueeze can?

i guess i'm confused since i thought SC could power multiple different players from one SC regardless of whether they are hardware or software.

snarlydwarf
2008-03-08, 12:28
the first computer powering the SB is currently playling a playlist it is making on its own via random mix.

Not quite: it is currently sending a selection of tracks to a specific SB. It isn't playing anything. It is a subtle but important difference.

i simply want to tie a second computer, via winamp, into that currently running playlist.

In other words, you want to sync two players, one being stream.mp3 and one being a hardware player. That doesn't work. (There is no protocol to keep the two in sync.)

is it not possible to do this at all?

Not via stream.mp3. You can get much closer with SoftSqueeze, but, no, stream.mp3 is not a peak at "what is streaming to other players" (how would that work for those with multiple players? which would it stream? or would it mix all of them into a mess?)

Stream.mp3 is a seperate player, but with limited functionality (since WinAMP doesn't pass back things like "next track" or "please play this song instead")

or is it something winamp can't do, but softsqueeze can?

Exactly: stream.mp3 has no "back channel" for syncing. Softsqueeze does. (How well it works is another matter, mainly due to how Java keeps you from messing too closely to the hardware layer, which is exactly what you need to do for real syncing: there is no way java can know the size of the buffers at the various layers between it and the sound card, or how much the soundcard has in its output buffer...)

MrSinatra
2008-03-08, 12:46
thx for bearing w/me... more dumb questions...

Not quite: it is currently sending a selection of tracks to a specific SB. It isn't playing anything. It is a subtle but important difference.

i follow you i think, its sending the data to the SB for it to play it.

In other words, you want to sync two players, one being stream.mp3 and one being a hardware player. That doesn't work. (There is no protocol to keep the two in sync.)

well actually, forget sync'ing. what i am asking is, is it at all possible for anything, be it a second SB, Soft squeeze, winamp, whatever, even if it is NOT sync'd, to "tune in" to an already in-session playlist of SC to SB?

it sounds like what you are saying is only a second SB or soft squeeze can do this, is that correct?

and of the two, only a second SB is really adept at syncing?

Not via stream.mp3. You can get much closer with SoftSqueeze, but, no, stream.mp3 is not a peak at "what is streaming to other players" (how would that work for those with multiple players? which would it stream? or would it mix all of them into a mess?)

well, for people with only one SB, it would work great. :)

it would be a nice feature to embed into SC for folks who would like to do what i thought i could already do. i'm not real keen on installing soft squeeze just to do this, but i guess its my only choice.

can i install softsqueeze on a windows machine without installing the rest of SC? i don't needs SC on the second machine otherwise.

Stream.mp3 is a seperate player, but with limited functionality (since WinAMP doesn't pass back things like "next track" or "please play this song instead")

got it. basically i simply misunderstood how it worked.

i thought SC was more like a robust shoutcast using some extra data to keep multiple players in sync. i see now i was way off. it might be an idea though, b/c it would be cool to allow people to connect any client they want to SC to a currently in play playlist. (i realize perfect syncing then wouldn't be possible)

Exactly: stream.mp3 has no "back channel" for syncing. Softsqueeze does. (How well it works is another matter, mainly due to how Java keeps you from messing too closely to the hardware layer, which is exactly what you need to do for real syncing: there is no way java can know the size of the buffers at the various layers between it and the sound card, or how much the soundcard has in its output buffer...)

got it. very interesting. thx for the info. -mdw

Zaragon
2008-03-08, 13:53
You don't need to install SC on a machine to install Softsqueeze. With the browser on the machine you want Softsqueeze just navigate to the server http://<your-server:9000/ as normal then scroll down the Home menu to Extras.

In Extras you have Softsqueeze there you can install Softsqueeze.

You can also load SoftSqueeze up into a browser window as an applet without having to install it at all. Though I suspect this is even harder to sync than installing SoftSqueeze directly.

I'm not sure if any given player can be told to sync with another player that is currently playing because I can't remember which way around it works. I believe that there was a plug in for 6.5 that would do that and enable it to be done from the player. (Though if you were using the MP3 streaming, if it could piggyback the stream it would have to be initiated from the web interface.)

radish
2008-03-08, 15:55
it would be cool to allow people to connect any client they want to SC to a currently in play playlist. (i realize perfect syncing then wouldn't be possible)

The problem is that given a lack of "perfect syncing" after a while they wouldn't be playing the same playlist anymore :) If you just start two things playing you'd be surprised how out of sync they can get after a while, they could be on totally different songs. In reality, two players either are synced or they're not, and if they're not they need to be totally independent or it gets extremely confusing.