PDA

View Full Version : Can't get duet receiver to connect to squeezecenter through remote

fgallina
2008-03-08, 11:14
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem. I can get the duet receiver to connect to squeezecenter by using the web interface, selecting the player, and connecting it to squeezecenter, but I can't connect to squeezecenter using the remote (I can connect to squeezenetwork however). Once the receiver is connected to squeezecenter and playing music, I can't see it with the remote -- I can only see it when it's connected to squeezenetwork.

Any ideas? I have another squeezebox that exhibits the same behavior with the new remote.

Thanks,

Frank

JimC
2008-03-08, 17:09
Hi,

I'm having a strange problem. I can get the duet receiver to connect to squeezecenter by using the web interface, selecting the player, and connecting it to squeezecenter, but I can't connect to squeezecenter using the remote (I can connect to squeezenetwork however). Once the receiver is connected to squeezecenter and playing music, I can't see it with the remote -- I can only see it when it's connected to squeezenetwork.

Any ideas? I have another squeezebox that exhibits the same behavior with the new remote.

Thanks,

Frank

Sounds to me like you might have the gear on different network segments. Can you explain what's connected to what? For example:

Linksys WR54G connected to AT&T U-verse DSL router via ethernet
SB3 connected to DSL router via ethernet
SBC connected to Linksys wireless router
SBR connected to Linksys wireless router
Server connected to Linksys router via ethernet

This was similar to a setup I had and the SB3 on the DSL router couldn't see the server or controller. Took me far too long to realize that the DSL router and the Linksys were different network segments... d'oh!

Moved the SB3 from the DSL router to a wireless connection to the Linksys and all was well.

-=> Jim

fgallina
2008-03-08, 17:30
Thanks for the reply - I'm not a network expert, but I'm 99% sure everything is on the same segment (which would be true if they all had an ip address in the 192.168.1.* range, right?). My cable modem is connected to the uplink port on the router, and everything else is connected to the router -- SBR wireless to linksys, SB3 wireless to linksys, server wired through linksys, SBC wireless through linksys.

I ssh'd into the controller, and I can ping everything, including the server. The problem only manifests itself when I try to use the remote to connect one of the players to the server. I have ports 9000 and 3483 unblocked on the server, for both TCP and UDP, and I tried putting the server in DMZ and that didn't help either. I guess I'll end up talking to tech support on Monday...

thanks,

Frank

jbuccino
2008-03-08, 20:09
I have exactly the same problem. My configuration is:

Cable modem -(ethernet)- Linksys RV082 Router (with DHCP server)
Router -(ethernet)- Apple Airport (Bridge Mode)
SB3 -(ethernet)- Router
SBR -(802.11)- Apple Airport
Server -(ethernet)- Router

I can ping everything and they all have a 192.168.1.* IP address. SlimCenter is running on a MacBook Pro 10.5.2. The router and Airport have the latest firmware.

Using the web interface, I can access and control both the SB3 and SBR without any issues.

The remote does not see either the SB3 or SBR unless they are connected to SqueezeNetwork.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

- Joe

jrichardson
2008-03-12, 08:11
Joe / Frank:

Do you have WPA or WPK enabled on your routers?
========================
I have seen this problem once, but a reboot of the controller fixed the issue.

You may want to try turning your SB Controller off, then back on. Hold the power (home) button down for 5 seconds, until the unit powers down.

Then, power it back up and see if your other units show up.

JimC
2008-03-12, 08:56
I have exactly the same problem. My configuration is:

Cable modem -(ethernet)- Linksys RV082 Router (with DHCP server)
Router -(ethernet)- Apple Airport (Bridge Mode)
SB3 -(ethernet)- Router
SBR -(802.11)- Apple Airport
Server -(ethernet)- Router

I can ping everything and they all have a 192.168.1.* IP address. SlimCenter is running on a MacBook Pro 10.5.2. The router and Airport have the latest firmware.

Using the web interface, I can access and control both the SB3 and SBR without any issues.

The remote does not see either the SB3 or SBR unless they are connected to SqueezeNetwork.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

- Joe

Are you running SqueezeCenter version 7 and not running SlimServer 6.5.x?

-=> Jim

fgallina
2008-03-12, 09:09
I'm using Squeezecenter 7. With SlimSever, my server wouldn't even show up in the list of music sources...

Thanks,

Frank

rtitmuss
2008-03-12, 10:07
Do you have password protection enabled on your SqueezeCenter web interface? That won't work with the controller at the moment.

Richard

MickeyG
2008-03-12, 10:16
Hi,

Thanks,

Frank

I think you might be having a problem common with new Duet owners and was referenced in another forums posting that I can't find right now.

When selecting "Music Source" during initial set up, you're given a choice of selecting your local PC running SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork. Depending on your choice, you may not be able to see all of your players on the Duet Controller:

- If you choose SqueezeCenter you can see your SqueezeCenter-connected players. But you won't see your SqueezeNetwork-connected players.
- If you choose SqueezeNetwork you can see your SqueezeNetwork-connected players. But (as you can guess) you won't be able to see your SqueezeCenter-connected players.

That's currently the way it works. I think we didn't make this characteristic as clear to users as we could have. It also seems to be tripping up more people than anyone here at Logitech expected.

For now, you'll need to choose your music source to see a specific group of players. To switch the Duet Controller between SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork, go to Settings->Music Source and pick your source.

Alternatively, you can have all of your players on SqueezeCenter, since all of the music services (Pandora, Rhapsody, etc.) are now available there. You don't have to switch between SqueezeCenter and SqueezeNetwork for those features anymore.

The team will need to review this and figure out how to resolve this. I would think that the user-desired solution would be "have all of my players visible all of the time".

Please reply and let me know if my guess is correct.

Mickey

jbuccino
2008-03-12, 16:27
When I try to select either the local source or Squeeze Network nothing happens. I go to the "Select Source" menu and when I click on either source nothing happens.

Pinging the controller still works fine.

All players still work through the web interface. I'm really getting frustrated.

JimC
2008-03-12, 16:54
When I try to select either the local source or Squeeze Network nothing happens. I go to the "Select Source" menu and when I click on either source nothing happens.

Pinging the controller still works fine.

All players still work through the web interface. I'm really getting frustrated.

Which web interface... SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork?

Here's what I would try:

Power off the Receiver and leave it off.
Make sure your SB3 is connected to SqueezeCenter and that it has a name.
Using the IR remote, verify that the SB3 is able to play music from the server.
Perform a factory reset on the Controller (hold the + key while cycling the power--I usually remove the battery--and keep it held down until the Logitech logo appears).
Follow the steps to set up the Controller, making sure you're connecting to the right network (I know this sounds silly, but you can have an issue if you are using a default SSID.)
Skip the Setup Receiver step
If your server is listed on the Music Source screen, select it now. If it's not, then the Controller and server aren't on speaking terms. Do not select SN... contact Technical Support and have them help you.
At this point, you should have control of the SB3 using the Controller... if not, then even though the server was listed, there's something preventing the server and Controller from speaking. At that point, I'm out of ideas and you'll really need to elevate this to our Technical Support team.
Assuming you could control the SB3, power up the SBR. Perform a factory reset by holding down the button for 6 seconds.
On the Controller, go to Settings > Advanced > Set up Receiver and select your Receiver. After it completes the setup, and the button is a dimly lit white color, you should have control of both the SB3 and the SBR. If not, call Technical Support.

This certainly isn't a common or well-known issue, so I really appreciate your patience and help in tracking it down. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it and either correct the bug (if we find there is one) or figure out what happened and make sure other users get through this difficulty faster.

-=> Jim

jbuccino
2008-03-12, 18:08
Do you have password protection enabled on your SqueezeCenter web interface? That won't work with the controller at the moment.

Richard

That's it! Everything is working now. I swear I read the manual and did not notice this. Is this limitation documented? It sure would have saved a whole lot of frustration and phone calls.

Thanks.

JimC
2008-03-13, 14:05
That's it! Everything is working now. I swear I read the manual and did not notice this. Is this limitation documented? It sure would have saved a whole lot of frustration and phone calls.

Thanks.

No, it's not in the manual simply because we--the guys that did the manual--didn't know about this issue before it shipped. It's a bug that needs to be fixed, but we'll update the documentation in the interim.

-=> Jim

fgallina
2008-03-14, 16:24
It's still happening on my setup. I had the password disabled from the beginning, so something else is going on.

As another troubleshooting step, I installed another instance on SqueezeCenter, this time on Windows XP instead of debian -- same exact results.

Jim, I followed all of your steps, and cannot connect to squeezecenter through the duet controller. I have confirmed through tcpdump that the duet controller is indeed communicating with the controller, but apparently it's not hearing what it wants to hear.

I don't know what to do next. It's been a week since I called tech support and they closed the bug associated with my question when they decided that a password in squeezecenter was causing my problem (it wasn't).

Frank

JimC
2008-03-14, 17:43
It's still happening on my setup. I had the password disabled from the beginning, so something else is going on.

As another troubleshooting step, I installed another instance on SqueezeCenter, this time on Windows XP instead of debian -- same exact results.

Jim, I followed all of your steps, and cannot connect to squeezecenter through the duet controller. I have confirmed through tcpdump that the duet controller is indeed communicating with the controller, but apparently it's not hearing what it wants to hear.

I don't know what to do next. It's been a week since I called tech support and they closed the bug associated with my question when they decided that a password in squeezecenter was causing my problem (it wasn't).

Frank

Frank:

First, call tech support again and reopen the ticket. That's not a problem for them, but if it is please let me know. I'll make sure that gets done.

Second, are you 100% certain that there's no firewall or other application that might possibly be blocking the two ports we need (3483 for TCP and UDP, 9000 for TCP)? The only time I've seen a situation where the Controller can't find SC is when there's something blocking the communication ports. That doesn't mean that there isn't something else wrong.

Do you have a Squeezebox (non-Duet, like an SB2 or SB3)? Can it connect to SqueezeCenter using the same network attach method? If you don't have an SB2/3, you could use a second computer running SoftSqueeze to try the connection. I'm just trying to verify that we can get connected with a player.

Finally, if you can post your tcpdump session it might help our engineers isolate the problem.

-=> Jim

jbuccino
2008-03-14, 18:31
No, it's not in the manual simply because we--the guys that did the manual--didn't know about this issue before it shipped. It's a bug that needs to be fixed, but we'll update the documentation in the interim.

I agree. The password protection, while only providing minimal protection, allows me to access my music from any place with an internet connection around the world. It is a bit inconvenient to turn password protection off when I am home and want to use the controller. I see this bug is marked for 7.0.1. I'll watch the bug and test the nightly when the bug is corrected.

fgallina
2008-03-14, 20:12
Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm 100% sure there no firewall getting in the way of those ports, although I had the same suspicion that it has to be something related to that. I ran a packet sniffer today and noticed that there isn't much traffic on port 3483 between the controller and the server, but what is being sent is just broadcasting the name of the server, because the server name is visible in plain text, and the packets are being sent regardless of whether a connection is requested.

I talked to Anoop from tech support and he was very helpful in trying to help me figure out what's going on, but we're still not there yet. I send an extract from my packet sniffer to see if that might help, since there are messages being sent on other ports that don't make sense to me.

Thanks, and I'll keep updating this thread as I learn more.

Frank

JimC
2008-03-14, 21:37
Hi Jim,

Yes, I'm 100% sure there no firewall getting in the way of those ports, although I had the same suspicion that it has to be something related to that. I ran a packet sniffer today and noticed that there isn't much traffic on port 3483 between the controller and the server, but what is being sent is just broadcasting the name of the server, because the server name is visible in plain text, and the packets are being sent regardless of whether a connection is requested.

I talked to Anoop from tech support and he was very helpful in trying to help me figure out what's going on, but we're still not there yet. I send an extract from my packet sniffer to see if that might help, since there are messages being sent on other ports that don't make sense to me.

Thanks, and I'll keep updating this thread as I learn more.

Frank

Glad you're in touch with Anoop. Hopefully he can get you up and running.

I did some additional looking into the problem for my end, and found that the controller does all its communications with the server via port 9000. Only the players use 3483 right now. I'm starting to believe that there may simply be a fault in the hardware. I did consider one additional test we can try... it would isolate the AP from the mix.

Can you try your set up completely wired? Put the server and the SBR on the same ethernet switch, and then use the "bridged installation" mode to have the SBC connect to the network via a bridged ad-hoc connection with the SBR. The User Guide covers this setup, if you need more information.

This will simplifies the network and gives us a "known" wireless connection for the controller. If that still doesn't work, I'd recommend that we replace your Duet and bring your unit back in for more extensive testing.

If that *does* work, then we have a pretty good idea that the problem is in the Controller / wireless access point connection.

I really appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us on this. Hopefully your efforts will help us prevent this from happening to other users when we finally do figure out the root cause.

-=> Jim

rsilvers
2008-03-14, 21:38
Of the Duet is wired, then you need to select from the remote to 'connect using other wireless connection.'

fgallina
2008-03-15, 16:01
Hi Jim,

That was a good idea, and it worked. I was able to connect to my server in bridged mode...but what does that mean? I guess I need to start from scratch with my router config?

At any rate, even if bridged mode isn't ideal, it's better than nothing while I figure out what's going on with my router. I'm excited that it's at least partly working now!!

Thanks for all your help so far,

Frank

JimC
2008-03-15, 20:58
Hi Jim,

That was a good idea, and it worked. I was able to connect to my server in bridged mode...but what does that mean? I guess I need to start from scratch with my router config?

At any rate, even if bridged mode isn't ideal, it's better than nothing while I figure out what's going on with my router. I'm excited that it's at least partly working now!!

Thanks for all your help so far,

Frank

That's great! At least we know the hardware is good and we just need to figure out the wireless problem.

What router are you using? If possible, I'd go back to a default configuration and make one change at a time until the Controller can't connect again. If you have a choice, I'd use WPA rather than WEP security.

Let me know how it goes and what setting you find is causing the connection problem.

-=> Jim