PDA

View Full Version : SC updating

jsturtevant
2008-03-08, 07:51
I am new to the SC scene and I just received my Duet yesterday, very nice.

I'm curious what the preferred method of keeping SC up to date.

I see in advanced settings there's a check for automatic update setting.

Should I simply let SC make the decision?
Is there a way within SC to tell it to go update itself?
Should I do a manual install, which I hope will do an update of the current install.

current: SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 16779 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Thanks

jsturtevant
2008-03-18, 19:24
windows - automatic update? will the system make an automatic update or should i force an update? if I should force an update how should i go about forcing an update?

Mark Lanctot
2008-03-26, 08:42
Should I simply let SC make the decision?

It'll tell you when there's a newer release version.

Is there a way within SC to tell it to go update itself?

No. Go to http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/

Should I do a manual install, which I hope will do an update of the current install.

current: SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 16779 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Ordinarily this would work as there is a settings migration script for 6.5.4 -> 7.0 on Windows, but you appear to have a very old beta version, the release version is 17793. This may be before all the files were renamed from SlimServer to SqueezeCenter (at least on the Linux builds, not sure about the Windows builds).

Backup your prefs file, not sure where this is on Windows and the 7.0 betas renamed it, it may be server.pref, slimserver.pref, squeezecenter.pref or even slimserver.conf. Try just installing the release over your version and see what happens. If your prefs are gone try copying the backup file over.

Unfortunately there were a lot of changes in the betas, the prefs file format may have changed and you may have to reinstall from scratch.

windows - automatic update?

Windows Update doesn't know anything about 3rd party applications. <shameless plug> This is why Linux repository systems are superior.

Rar
2008-03-26, 10:54
I've updated the controller 3 times afer purchasing the Duet yesterday, and I'm suspecting that it's the same update every time...?

Does it auto update?

slimpy
2008-03-26, 11:04
I've updated the controller 3 times afer purchasing the Duet yesterday, and I'm suspecting that it's the same update every time...?

Does it auto update?
The controller will prompt you to start the update whenever there is one available.
The software update menu always tells you there's an update available even if it's the one already installed. There's no need to check manually.

-s.

Rar
2008-03-26, 11:07
What I hoped for! Thanks.