PDA

View Full Version : Roku SoundBridge Compatible with Server Software



Todd Fields
2004-02-12, 11:28
--- kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
own gain.
> Sorry, Todd, I have nothing
> against you, and your question is perfectly
> reasonable. I think, however, that
> you need to be asking this of Roku. Maybe it will
> change you mind about ther
> product, as their resonse time, from my experience,
> is not even close to what
> you can get from Slim Devices.

No problem. I'm not considering buying one. If I get
anything to compliment my SLIMP3 it will be a
Squeezebox. I was just really surprised when I saw
the SlimServer protocol listed in the specifications
for the device. Somehow I had missed the discussion
within the group that had already taken place
regarding this product.

I too am disappointed that they, at least thus far,
appear to be essentially "stealing" the server
software. Especially if they are taking credit for
development that they did not do.

I became familiar with Roku from mention of it's
HD1000 High-Definition Digital Media Player in Sound &
Vision Magazine. I hope that if any reviews or
significant press is given to the SoundBridge by a
source such as Sound & Vision that Slim Devices will
reply by at least writing the editors of those
publications to let them know how Roku has thus far
elected to do business.

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Finance: Get your refund fast by filing online.
http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Jason Snell
2004-02-12, 11:32
Todd Fields wrote:

>I too am disappointed that they, at least thus far,
>appear to be essentially "stealing" the server
>software. Especially if they are taking credit for
>development that they did not do.

When I contacted Roku to request review copies of the Sound Bridge
products (which aren't shipping yet, by the way), I mentioned that
they were using the Slim Server product. The PR person denied it,
claiming it was Roku proprietary software. Only when I pressed in a
follow-up message did he admit that while the HDTV Roku product uses
the "Roku OS," the Sound Bridge product does indeed use Slim Server.

Of course, they are not encouraging members of the media to find that out...

-jason
--
Jason Snell / Editor in Chief, Macworld / jsnell (AT) macworld (DOT) com
415-243-3565 / AIM-iChat: MW jsnell

kdf
2004-02-12, 11:43
Quoting Todd Fields <jtfields91 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>:

>
> --- kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
> own gain.
> > Sorry, Todd, I have nothing
> > against you, and your question is perfectly
> > reasonable. I think, however, that
> > you need to be asking this of Roku. Maybe it will
> > change you mind about ther
> > product, as their resonse time, from my experience,
> > is not even close to what
> > you can get from Slim Devices.
>
> No problem. I'm not considering buying one. If I get
> anything to compliment my SLIMP3 it will be a
> Squeezebox. I was just really surprised when I saw
> the SlimServer protocol listed in the specifications
> for the device. Somehow I had missed the discussion
> within the group that had already taken place
> regarding this product.
>
> I too am disappointed that they, at least thus far,
> appear to be essentially "stealing" the server
> software. Especially if they are taking credit for
> development that they did not do.

They are within their rights to use it as they wish. That's what open source is.
They don't have to contirbute, tho it would be nice. They can modify it as
they wish, as long as its made available in source form. I suspect they will do
little to the server, since they would then carry the burden of supporting it.
I dont think this device is yet past pre-order so its all rather moot right now.

> I became familiar with Roku from mention of it's
> HD1000 High-Definition Digital Media Player in Sound &
> Vision Magazine. I hope that if any reviews or
> significant press is given to the SoundBridge by a
> source such as Sound & Vision that Slim Devices will
> reply by at least writing the editors of those
> publications to let them know how Roku has thus far
> elected to do business.

now, that would just be bitter. The use of the UDP protocol means there is a
limit to what they can do. By not being part of the slimserver effort, they
will lose out in other ways already. I am pretty sure there isn't a magazine
around that would change their review policy over anything a competitor or
fanboy were to say.

-kdf