PDA

View Full Version : Duet set up failure

olc
2008-03-08, 01:00
I got the Duet yesterday morning, set it up in minutes and used it all day and today in the morning. Went to use it tonight and nothing. The SBC seems OK so I checked the receiver. I disconnected it from power and plugged it in again. The Lite on the front was red and white. No joy

Next went to Set Up Receiver on the SBC and held down the button on front of the SBR until it flashed fast.

It found the SBR and it's MAC so I choose that to set up. It then finds the network name and I go to the next step of choosing the music source.

It times out and gives me the option of trying again or quitting the set. At this point the light on the SBR is back to red and white.

I have repeated this process ad nauseum and no change.

It worked fine until now and nothing else on my system has changed. Everything works fine with Squeeze Center and SoftSqueeze.

I'm stumped. Has the receiver gone bad? The system can find the SBR and the network, by name, so signal strength shouldn't be the issue. Prior to this I had an SB3 working fine for a long time.

Update: I moved the SBR to the same room as and about 4 feet from the computer system and the wireless router. Same problem

Any ideas?

MickeyG
2008-03-08, 10:45
I got the Duet yesterday morning, set it up in minutes and used it all day and today in the morning. Went to use it tonight and nothing. The SBC seems OK so I checked the receiver. I disconnected it from power and plugged it in again. The Lite on the front was red and white. No joy

Next went to Set Up Receiver on the SBC and held down the button on front of the SBR until it flashed fast.

It found the SBR and it's MAC so I choose that to set up. It then finds the network name and I go to the next step of choosing the music source.

It times out and gives me the option of trying again or quitting the set. At this point the light on the SBR is back to red and white.

It worked fine until now and nothing else on my system has changed. Everything works fine with Squeeze Center and SoftSqueeze.

I'm stumped. Has the receiver gone bad? The system can find the SBR and the network, by name, so signal strength shouldn't be the issue. Prior to this I had an SB3 working fine for a long time.

Update: I moved the SBR to the same room as and about 4 feet from the computer system and the wireless router. Same problem

Any ideas?

If your SBR has a white LED, then it can see SqueezeCenter just fine. So it's not an issue with SBR at all.

It's an issue with SBC. Here are some things to try:

1. Do you have the right firmware on it? Go to Settings->Advanced->About, and the version should be 7.0 r2090. If not, that would cause your problem. Go to Settings->Advanced->Software Update and choose Network update.

2. If it's the right version of firmware, then the solution might be to perform the "Set Up Receiver" process again. When the "try again or quit" (or something like that) screen appears, just power cycle the SBC. You can do this by holding down the Home key to turn it off, waiting a few seconds, and then hold the Home key down again to turn it on. When the SBC comes up again, it should see the SBR just fine. This should not happen with r2090, but if it does it's a bug.

Mickey

JimC
2008-03-08, 16:05

Any ideas?

The SBR button is switching between red and white? That shouldn't be happening. Is it alternating between red and white? Fast or slow?

If you've tried a reset (hold the button down for 6 seconds) and set it up again from the SBC, and it still fails, you might have a bad SBR. Contact technical support for help.

-=> Jim

olc
2008-03-08, 21:39
The SBR button is switching between red and white? That shouldn't be happening. Is it alternating between red and white? Fast or slow?

If you've tried a reset (hold the button down for 6 seconds) and set it up again from the SBC, and it still fails, you might have a bad SBR. Contact technical support for help.

-=> Jim

Its not alternating red and white but looks like a red button with white stripes across it. I haven't tried the previous trick yet, but if that doesn't fix it, tech support it is. Thanks.

olc
2008-03-08, 21:54
If your SBR has a white LED, then it can see SqueezeCenter just fine. So it's not an issue with SBR at all.

It's an issue with SBC. Here are some things to try:

1. Do you have the right firmware on it? Go to Settings->Advanced->About, and the version should be 7.0 r2090. If not, that would cause your problem. Go to Settings->Advanced->Software Update and choose Network update.

2. If it's the right version of firmware, then the solution might be to perform the "Set Up Receiver" process again. When the "try again or quit" (or something like that) screen appears, just power cycle the SBC. You can do this by holding down the Home key to turn it off, waiting a few seconds, and then hold the Home key down again to turn it on. When the SBC comes up again, it should see the SBR just fine. This should not happen with r2090, but if it does it's a bug.

Mickey

There seems to be issues with both the SBC an SBR. I picked up the SBC from the charger and tried to turn on the SBR, which I then noticed had no light on at all and the SBC siad it could not find the computer with my music. I powered the SBC off and on (the firmware is OK) and that fixed the SBC. I tried to turn on the SBR from the SBC with no luck. I disconneceted the SBR from AC power and reconnected it, then I could turn it on. It all works.

As an experiment, I turned off the SBR with the SBC , then tried to use the system. Same issues presented and same fix worked but it seems like it shouldn't be this much trouble.

MickeyG
2008-03-08, 22:53
There seems to be issues with both the SBC an SBR. I picked up the SBC from the charger and tried to turn on the SBR, which I then noticed had no light on at all and the SBC siad it could not find the computer with my music. I powered the SBC off and on (the firmware is OK) and that fixed the SBC. I tried to turn on the SBR from the SBC with no luck. I disconneceted the SBR from AC power and reconnected it, then I could turn it on. It all works.

As an experiment, I turned off the SBR with the SBC , then tried to use the system. Same issues presented and same fix worked but it seems like it shouldn't be this much trouble.

Glad to hear you solved your problem. I just wanted to clarify that when you said "SBR ... had no light at all", that it's normally very dim white when it's not playing music and that could be mistaken for an unlit state. I still believe your SBR is OK.

It sounds like your SBC has a poor connection with your wireless access point. Can you perform a test to diagnose this? Can you watch the SBC wireless strength indicator at the bottom of the screen and walk away from your home's wireless access point? You should be able to go at least 30-40 feet without that indicator turning blue.

If it stays white, then your SBC's wireless is probably OK. Then you should probably review your wireless network. Are you in an area with lots of other wireless networks? If so, then maybe a first step is to switch the access point to use an unused channel instead of the default channel 6.

Mickey