Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Juliozaffo
    • Feb 2008

Duet Receiver Loses Connection

I have had the Duet since yesterday & have experienced three times where the SBR lost its connection to SqueezeCenter. In the first two cases I wasn't playing music for a while & noticed that the LED was blue. The second time it happened I disabled my wireless connection & re-enabled it and the SBR came back online.

The most recent disconnect just happened. I was trying to FF through a song & held the FF button down for quite a while. I was trying to get the song to play again but it never did. I then tried to play another song and it wouldn't play either. Then I looked at the SBR & the LED was blue. This time I just did a repair on my wireless network connection & that brought it back online again.

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? Is there an easier way to reconnect my SBR to Squeezecenter? I tried getting it back with the controller & even reset the SBR but that wouldn't work. I also tried to stop & restart Squeezecenter but that didn't work either. It seems the only way to get it back online is to disable & then re-enable the wireless. Encryption key issues? I'm using WPA.
  • Ross L
    bum
    • Mar 2006

Is Squeezebox Receiver far from your access point? You could take a look at the wireless signal strength by going to SqueezeCenter settings -> players, there might be an indication of the problem.

What do you mean you did a repair on your wireless network? Do your computers or other wireless devices have networking issues?
    Ross L

Comment

• Juliozaffo
      • Feb 2008

Duet Receiver

My receiver is right next to my wireless router. By repairing my wireless network I mean right-clicking on wireless network connection & choosing repair. This is just a quick way to disable and then re-enable the wireless network connection. I have no wireless problems besides the SBR. I'm still thinking it may be due to WPA encryption somehow. I'm guessing that it might happen when my router does its key renewal. I'm toying with those settings now. I had WPA Personal selected with TKIP algorithm & key renewal at 60 minutes. I changed to AES algorithm with key renewal @ 120 minutes. After some more testing I'll probably file a bug report...

Comment

• radish
        • Apr 2005

A blue light doesn't mean it's not connected to the network, it means it can't see the server. Assuming the server is running on the machine you did the wireless repair on, that _strongly_ indicates that the wireless connection for that machine is flaky. The SBR is still on the network and will reconnect to the server automatically as soon as it's visible. Focus your efforts on making the server's connection more reliable, that's not something SC or the SBR have any control over.
        http://www.last.fm/user/polymeric

Comment

• Ross L
          bum
          • Mar 2006

Ahh ok so the issue is the wireless connection between your PC and your network. If your Receiver and/or PC are right next to your router, why not consider Ethernet?

Anyhow, you'll need to do a bit more diagnostic to understand exactly what is causing this, it could be a number of things. From what you're describing I have a hunch it's your PC running SqueezeCenter, it's losing its network connection, could be the fault of the router, but would doubt encryption is to blame.

Ensure your routers firmware is up to date, and consider doing the same for the driver of your wireless adapter for your PC as well. If you have Ethernet, you could cable your PC if that solves the problem it would indicate the issue is your PCs wireless connection. If it does not solve the issue, consider cabling your Squeezebox receiver for the same test.

Let us know how you fair.
          Ross L

Comment

• Phil Leigh
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Juliozaffo
            My receiver is right next to my wireless router. By repairing my wireless network I mean right-clicking on wireless network connection & choosing repair. This is just a quick way to disable and then re-enable the wireless network connection. I have no wireless problems besides the SBR. I'm still thinking it may be due to WPA encryption somehow. I'm guessing that it might happen when my router does its key renewal. I'm toying with those settings now. I had WPA Personal selected with TKIP algorithm & key renewal at 60 minutes. I changed to AES algorithm with key renewal @ 120 minutes. After some more testing I'll probably file a bug report...
            If it is right next to it, then why don't you just connect it with a cable? There is NO point in using wireless if you don't HAVE to - it is the flakiest technology on the planet!
            You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
            Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
            Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
            Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• Juliozaffo
              • Feb 2008

Sbr

Well I've been running the SBR straight for the last couple of hours with no problems. This was after I changed WPA from TKIP to AES.

Oddly enough I do have the SBR connected to my router with an Ethernet cable. This was one of the very first things I did to troubleshoot. However, I barely see the activity LED flash so I'm thinking the SBR is still communicating over wireless. I just yanked the cable & things still seem to be working. Makes me wonder if once you set the SBR up for wireless that it always uses wireless and only uses the Ethernet port for bridging purposes.

Comment

• Ross L
                bum
                • Mar 2006

I guess thats good news, I'm not sure I understand but great!

Originally posted by Juliozaffo
                Makes me wonder if once you set the SBR up for wireless that it always uses wireless and only uses the Ethernet port for bridging purposes.
                After connecting Ethernet you need to re-configure it as Ethernet rather than wireless. Resetting the player by holding the button until it blinks red quickly will factory reset SBR.

In any case, enjoy your music!
                Ross L

Comment

Working...