PDA

View Full Version : Got my duet, having trouble

bradjudy
2008-03-06, 19:55
I received my Duet today, but I'm having problems.

The remote saw my wireless network, I entered the WPA password and that seemed to work fine. In fact, the remote saw there was an update, downloaded it and installed it.

I have SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 installed on a Windows Vista Ultimate system with a firewall opening.

The problem is the receiver only occasionally shows up in the list of players and when it does show up and I select it, I can choose my computer as the music source, but before it finishes connecting it loses contact with the receiver.

I've tried moving the receiver and when the remote is sitting on top of the receiver it reports full wireless strength. I've tried powering the receiver off and on again, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

iPhone
2008-03-06, 20:41
I received my Duet today, but I'm having problems.

The remote saw my wireless network, I entered the WPA password and that seemed to work fine. In fact, the remote saw there was an update, downloaded it and installed it.

I have SqueezeCenter Version: 7.0 - 17793 installed on a Windows Vista Ultimate system with a firewall opening.

The problem is the receiver only occasionally shows up in the list of players and when it does show up and I select it, I can choose my computer as the music source, but before it finishes connecting it loses contact with the receiver.

I've tried moving the receiver and when the remote is sitting on top of the receiver it reports full wireless strength. I've tried powering the receiver off and on again, but I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

Hi Brad,
Congats on the Duet and welcome to the Forum. First thing to try is turn the Firewall completely off to eliminate that possible issue. Good to see you have the Gold release of SC. Next, please give the Forum all the details you can. What PC is running Vista, exact version of Vista, Network components, etc. Is the Receiver on Ethernet or Wireless? The more info the Forum has the less back and forth with questioning you to death. Once all the info is posted, one of the experts is bound to see the issue immediately.

m1cross
2008-03-06, 20:49
Windows xp and duet hooked up today. Probably something really easy or dumb, but why no sound on the compueter when I play music using the sb controller, or using squeezecenter 7.0 on computer? I get sound no problem with rca cables from sb receiver to bose radio, but no sound on the computer!! What am I doing wrong??

bradjudy
2008-03-06, 20:52
Well, it works now. I triggered a remote update again (now running 2085, but I don't know what it was before - it turns out that the remote can't tell if the software it has is current, you can keep manually triggering updates all day long). I don't know if it was the update or just power cycling the remote, but it seems to consistently work now.

Skunk
2008-03-06, 21:08
Windows xp and duet hooked up today. Probably something really easy or dumb, but why no sound on the compueter when I play music using the sb controller, or using squeezecenter 7.0 on computer? I get sound no problem with rca cables from sb receiver to bose radio, but no sound on the computer!! What am I doing wrong??

To play music on the PC running Squeezecenter go to Extras in the Squeezecenter web interface and select and install Softsqueeze. Softsqueeze should then show up as a player on the Controller and in the web interface, and play music on the PC speakers.

davep
2008-03-07, 00:53

You're not doing anything wrong - the system is designed to play music which is stored on the computer via the SB and hence into a hi-fi or other external means of producing the sound. The whole point is not to play it on the PC, otherwise you could just use Winamp or similar. (The idea is to get the computer out of the listening environment).

However, if you do want to also be able to listen at the PC you can run the software SB emulator (called SoftSqueeze) and control this as if it were a separate SB.

davep

remd
2008-03-07, 02:25
FYI
You can get softsqueeze from the "extra" menu in Squeezecenter or download it from http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net

Softsqueeze is IMHO the best soft to use with Squeezecenter on your computer, but you could also use your favorite player, like winamp, enter the url to your squeezecenter: http://127.0.0.1:9000/stream.mp3 and then control your winamp from the squeezecenter like any other player ..

m1cross
2008-03-07, 06:13
Thanks to all the replies... i think i got now. i can listen to computer, home stereo @ same time. i 'sync'd everything, and i LOVE this duet!!! I can't wait to sit on the deck this summer or at the pool bar and be able to change stations, volume, sources, etc... without going into the house 20 times. This duet is exactly what i had hoped for!! My only concern is trying to keep the controller alive, since it will be used outdoors a lot. How much to fix it or replace it? Is it a flat fee, kind of like Bose repairs?

msherman
2008-03-07, 07:21
m1cross wrote:
> Thanks to all the replies... i think i got now. i can listen to
> computer, home stereo @ same time. i 'sync'd everything, and i LOVE
> this duet!!! I can't wait to sit on the deck this summer or at the pool
> bar and be able to change stations, volume, sources, etc... without
> going into the house 20 times. This duet is exactly what i had hoped
> for!! My only concern is trying to keep the controller alive, since it
> will be used outdoors a lot. How much to fix it or replace it? Is it a
> flat fee, kind of like Bose repairs?

$90 for any out-of-warranty repair.