PDA

View Full Version : Got my Duet (& SC suggestions)

miked
2008-03-06, 16:51
Got my Duet today! Everything works great!! This is just a wonderful device.

I have two minor suggestions on SqueezeCenter; one may be already be in there, but I just can't figure out how.

(1) We primarily listen to playlists. Currently there is no way via the controller to cause a receiver to play an entire playlist. At best, you can just add a playlist to the existing "now playing" playlist -- but that's problematic if you want to replace the "now playing" playlist with a completely new playlist. What I would suggest is a "play all" button when you select a playlist, now different than there being a "play all" button when you select an album.

(2) The albums are sorted alphabetically by title. I would much prefer the way the iPod does it, where the albums are sorted first by artist name, and then by title for each artist.

#2 is a little issue, but #1 would greatly enhance the way the controller works.

Overall though, congratulations to the development team -- it's a great device!

radish
2008-03-06, 16:59
(1) We primarily listen to playlists. Currently there is no way via the controller to cause a receiver to play an entire playlist. At best, you can just add a playlist to the existing "now playing" playlist -- but that's problematic if you want to replace the "now playing" playlist with a completely new playlist. What I would suggest is a "play all" button when you select a playlist, now different than there being a "play all" button when you select an album.

Press Play on the playlist name.

(2) The albums are sorted alphabetically by title. I would much prefer the way the iPod does it, where the albums are sorted first by artist name, and then by title for each artist.

?? That's not how my ipod works. Anyhow, Browse Albums will show all albums alphabetically by name, Browse Artists will show all Artists by name and you can then drill down into the album list for that artist. If you really want to get fancy you can use the ALBUMSORT tag to control sort order seperately from display name but it sounds like the standard artist view will do what you want.

mherger
2008-03-06, 17:15
> (1) We primarily listen to playlists. Currently there is no way via
> the controller to cause a receiver to play an entire playlist. At

Just hit Play when you're on the playlist item (not actually viewing the playlist). Or didn't I get your point?

> (2) The albums are sorted alphabetically by title. I would much
> prefer the way the iPod does it, where the albums are sorted first by
> artist name, and then by title for each artist.

You can browse Artist -> Album

--

Michael

Skunk
2008-03-06, 17:17

The Artist>Album sort (among others) is available in album view on the web interface, and I think it would be great to see the Controller inherit that setting if enabled. Looks like there is an enhancement request already though: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6591

miked
2008-03-06, 17:27
With respect to the playlist issue, there is no play button on the Duet controller, hence the problem . . . . There is just a pause button.

With respect to the artist-album sort, it sounds like this may be addressed in a future release.

Skunk
2008-03-06, 17:28
Play is top right, above the scroll wheel.

miked
2008-03-06, 17:30
OK, I'm a big goob. Didn't notice that there is a play button on the remote . . . . :\

slimpy
2008-03-06, 17:34
With respect to the play button...

-s.

JimC
2008-03-06, 17:51
With respect to the playlist issue, there is no play button on the Duet controller, hence the problem . . . . There is just a pause button.

A pet peeve of mine. Personally, I would prefer that we overloaded play/pause and used the current "play" button for something else (I have lots of ideas). However, for consistency with the legacy UI we have a separate play and pause button.

-=> Jim

Ben Sandee
2008-03-06, 18:21
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:51 PM, JimC <
JimC.35vnln1204851301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> miked;276157 Wrote:
> > With respect to the playlist issue, there is no play button on the Duet
> > controller, hence the problem . . . . There is just a pause button.
>
> A pet peeve of mine. Personally, I would prefer that we overloaded
> play/pause and used the current "play" button for something else (I
> have lots of ideas). However, for consistency with the legacy UI we
> have a separate play and pause button.

Now that I know what it is, I think the new play button is better positioned
for use as a play button than the pause when you are scrolling through list
items, etc. I also didn't realize it for the first hour I was using the
controller, miked is not alone.

Ben

miked
2008-03-06, 18:34
Ben, I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I like to think I'm a pretty quick-to-it guy, but sometimes I have "middle-aged" moments.

Overall, my initial time with the Duet has been very very very favorable. It's just really slick, and very polished.

Now I have to save some pennies to get one more Duet, four more receivers, and a whole-house amp, and I'll be all set with my whole-house audio project!

harrylong
2008-03-06, 19:45
I received my Duet today and love it, well almost. The problem I am having is that I have a large collection of music, over 2300 artist and can't figure out how to get to ZZ top without spending a couple of minutes scrolling through all the artist. I thought there used to be an option to list artist by first letter and then scroll through them. But it has been a couple of years since I have used a Slim.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ben Sandee
2008-03-06, 21:27
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 8:45 PM, harrylong <
harrylong.35vsxb1204858201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:

>
> I received my Duet today and love it, well almost. The problem I am
> having is that I have a large collection of music, over 2300 artist and
> can't figure out how to get to ZZ top without spending a couple of
> minutes scrolling through all the artist.

Can't you just go backwards? There's a little pause when you hit the top of
the list but it seems to wrap around after 1/2 second or so.

Ben

mherger
2008-03-06, 22:39

Don't you see an acceleration while scrolling, with large letters in the background? You should get to the bottom of the list within a short time. Have you been asked to update your Controller's firmware?

--

Michael

Echo
2008-03-07, 01:19
Don't you see an acceleration while scrolling, with large letters in the background?

My Duet hasn't arrived yet, but this is my main concern with the controller functionality. I have a Zen Vision:M, which can toggle between the main list and an alphabet menu (on the right edge of the display) when scrolling.
example image here: http://www.everythingusb.com/images/list/creativevisionalbummatrix.jpg

This is a much more precise method for moving rapidly through the library. I hope the Duet's method works well but I very much dislike the iPod spin method of acceleration - sore thumb included.

cliveb
2008-03-07, 01:37
By default that's how the albums are sorted, but if you set up the ALBUMSORT tag, you can arrange it any way you like.

My own ALBUMSORT tags are formatted as "<artistname> <releasedate>". That way when scrolling through the album list, they are ordered by artist, then in chronological order of release.

harrylong
2008-03-07, 14:02

Don't you see an acceleration while scrolling, with large letters in the background? You should get to the bottom of the list within a short time. Have you been asked to update your Controller's firmware?

--

Michael

I do not see it accelerating while scrolling, how do I determine if i have the latest firmware update?

mherger
2008-03-07, 14:26
> I do not see it accelerating while scrolling, how do I determine if i
> have the latest firmware update?

Settings/Advanced/About (on the controller)

--

Michael

Dean100
2008-03-07, 15:02
You can go backwards on the wheel and it will start with the Z's. Thus you will have ZZ Top just as quickly as you have the artists starting with A.

Mitch Harding
2008-03-07, 15:08
I have found that to be a fast way to get to the Zs, but I have not
found a fast way to get to the middle of the alphabet. I do notice
some acceleration, but its top speed is a bit slower than I'd like.
Right now it's a little difficult for me to navigate to a particular
artist quickly, but I've only been using it for a little while. It
may only seem like it's taking too long. I'll give it more time for
me to grow accustomed to it.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Dean100
<Dean100.35xaeb1204927501 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> You can go backwards on the wheel and it will start with the Z's. Thus
> you will have ZZ Top just as quickly as you have the artists starting
> with A.
>
>